Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need some help/advise regarding issue w/ dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 AM
ld50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help/advise regarding issue w/ dealer.

Ok, this might be a little long winded, but I will try to lay out the scenario as accurately as I can.

I purchased a used 03 coupe w/12400 miles on it from a dealer an hour from home. The vehicle drove just fine, but after 2200miles I got a sharp grinding coming from the front right brake. I immediately took it in to my local dealer w/ is 10 minutes away to have it inspected. I was told that the both left and right front pads were completely worn, and that the wear indicator had worn lips in both rotors. They replaced the parts, total 423.00.

While the car was at the local dealer, I made several calls to the dealer I purchased from. They explained to me that there was no way the pads left their lot less than 50%, and that they considered it to be a "wear" issue, and since the brakes are only warrentied to 12,000 miles, they were not covering it.

After fixing the car, I drove up to the other dealer, and took the parts with me. They didn't even care to look at them. They refuse to take any responsibility, however they did offer to pay 150.00, which they say would have been their cost if they had replaced the pads prior to selling.

Here are my specific questions:

1) I am an easygoing driver, and not hard on the breaks. Is there any way (caliper malfuntion ruled out) that the pads could have gone from 50% to nothing? especially with the wear indicator never kicking in, in 2200 miles?

2) My belief is that the pads were worn past the indicator, and that is why I never heard anything until they started grinding into the rotor. The dealer cannot provide any written documentation as to the condition of the brakes prior to purchase. Is this theory plausable?

3) What, if anything, can I do to get the dealer to cover it?

Any help appreciated. If I am out of line here, just let me know so that I won't feel like I am being bent over.

thank you
Old 07-06-2004, 01:01 PM
John@Victory

unfortunatly there is nothing you can do...the 50% thing is crap though....im a service writer for a nissan dealership and as long as the brakes pass state inspection they wont replace them when they do there pre delivery inspection (pdi)...

its odd that the brakes are in that condition with only 12k miles....but you did good getting 150 back....

wish there was more that i could tell you....

but since you took it to a dealer other than the one you bought it from to have the work done your pretty much sol....

hope this helps.....atleast you re-couped part of your loss
Old 07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am hoping that the $423 included new rotors. If so, I have to wonder how wear indicator could wear a groove into the rotor that could not be machined out. Did you ask if the rotors could be turned?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 AM
ld50

The rotors were close to shot. the range is .945-.866. They measured .891 and .886, and were lipped on both sides of each rotor. I took them to a shop that I have always done business with for a second opinion, and they measured them for me. They said that technically they could be machined, but it would put me too close to tolerance for it to last very long.

The pads are also completely shot. The selling dealer insists that they left the store no less than 50%, but have no documentation to back it up. I will be taking my parts back in tomorrow night.

I did not accept the 150.00. It seems to be a matter of principle at this point.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:56 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does Florida have an annual inspection policy? If so, I'd find out how to report them to the state for falsely passing a vehicle with brakes that should not have passed.

Let that dealer know that you've spoken with other reputable sources that dispute their claim that 2200 miles of daily driving is capable of essentially taking a set of pads from 50% to 0%, and as a result, you feel that they fraudulently passed the car and will be reporting them to the states Motor Vehicle Division (or whoever handles the State Inspection Program).

Maybe they'll change their tune, maybe they won't, either way, they should be reported. Who knows what else they're "fudging on".
Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 AM
ld50

kcobean- good questions. I'll find out.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:19 AM
noahbuddy

Which dealer did you purchase from?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:33 AM
ld50

Cool, somone local. I purchased from Daytona Nissan (AUTO MALL)
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Spider883

I just bought my Z from Daytona Nissan not more then 2 weeks ago and they treated me very well. I noticed two scrathes on my front left wheel and one on the right rear wheel so i told them i wanted new wheels because I would not except it so they got the new wheels and put them on the next day I came by. Who did you deal with there?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 AM
ld50

They were very nice the day that I purchased the Z. I have been through both used car Sales Managers. My last person of contact has been the GM. The sales guy is great, but it is not his issue anymore.

Unfortunately for me, the issue arose after the 30 day used car warranty expired. New brake warrenty is 12,000, so I lose either way.

I have spoken to the DMV that licenses the dealerships. There is no annual inspection policy, nor any specific testing criteria for vehicle resale with regards to the brakes. The onus was on me to check the brakes prior to purchase. I have 0 legal recourse. My only hope is to file a small claim and see if they settle. I am going to consult an attourney and see if it is worth a shot or not.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 AM
noahbuddy

Originally posted by ld50
Cool, somone local. I purchased from Daytona Nissan (AUTO MALL)
Yeah, I haven't found anyone in the area that I feel comfortable working on the Z. My dealer isn't much help either. I brought in the Z for the "Road Noise" TSB and they refused to do it under warrenty and charged me for the alignment. Now, I've got oil burning issues and they only answer they can offer is "replace the engine". They won't perform any of the diagnostics at all.

There is White's imports in Rockledge. I had a dyno done there, but I haven't had any real work yet.

There are a couple of Shops in Orlando that seem "willing" but I don't know about "capable". Titan Motorsports sponsored a Dyno Day a couple months ago. Also, Performance Nissan in west palm works with the South Florida Z Club and are "associated" with a Nissan Dealer and do performance mods.

I see lots of Z's in Melbourne, but I think most are "grey hairs" that have no "Z Enthusiasm".

Are you thinking of hooking up with any of the Z Clubs? There's the South Florida, Central Florida, and CF 350Z club that I know of.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:30 AM
ld50

noahbuddy- yeah, we need to talk. I am definately intersted in gettign hooked up with a club or two. I am a staight up newbie and could use some friends in the know.

I don't understand why any dealer would refuse to do factory tsb or warrenty work. that makes no sense