Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NOOB - Regarding Xenon Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 01:33 PM
mikeyngo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB - Regarding Xenon Lights.

I was wondering with the models that has the Xenon Lights on it, is it just a BULB? Or is it actually a Japanese HID Lights? Are HID Lights different than Xenon Bulbs?

Any answers is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:26 PM
h4lights

Default HID:

All with the exception of the Base model get HID's on the low / dipped beam. The tern 'xenon' is used,(and abused), for many types of replacement bulbs. True HID's use a different technology than filament bulbs used in most vehicles. Light output is more efficient at lower wattages and usually give a better placed beam pattern for the application. Color temperature can be closer to daylight and the human eye sees best a daylight color temps. I am strictly talking about OE applications.
Xenon is the term used by Nissan on their HID system used on the Z32 and other applications in Japan.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:30 PM
h4lights

Default One Picture...

Here's a simple difference between standard filament headlights and HID's:
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2002, 07:22 PM
jasonintoronto

i try hard not to use the term xenon either - it's a misnomer. in general, there are two different types of bulbs, filament and gas discharge.

filament bulbs are found in 90% of cars today. these are like your incandescant bulb with a filament and a gas inside. the most common gas inside these bulbs today is halogen. however, lately these bulbs have been filled with xenon and sold as aftermarket "bluish" replacements. in every light test i've seen, blue filament bulbs put out LESS light than normal halogen ones (tested with lightmeters).

gas discharge lights are completely different. there is no filament. the light is produced by an electric arc produced by two charged plates. the gas most commonly used for this application is xenon - the proper term for this light in automobiles is HID - high intensity discharge.

the arc requires a LOT of voltage to be created (35,000volts) but less energy to maintain once it's lit (35watts, i think). this energy comes from an electronic "ballast" that produces the initial power required to light the bulb and maintain it. because of this, you cannot just replace a halogen bulb with a HID bulb and expect it to work.

moreover, HID bulbs only come in two standard sizes d2s and d2r. d2s is for projector based housings like those found on audi's and bmw's. d2r is for reflector based housings like the lexus is300 and acuras. while the z uses projector housings, i've heard that the bulb is a d2r, which really confuses me. can someone else confirm this?

there are people that replace the base of xenon bulbs so that they can replace halogen bulbs like h7, h4, etc. in general these are ok but officially they have to be for 'offroad use only'. any and all HID upgrades are illegal in both canada and the US. it doesn't matter if they employ autoleveling motors or not (more on that later) - aftermarket HID is illegal.

because xenons are so bright, when you put a lot of stuff in the trunk, the car tilts the light directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic. to remedy this, by law all HID need autoleveling motors. these adjust the lights to tilt down if the car is tilted backwards and vice versa.

probably more info than you need to know, but it's a subject of expertise for me
Old 10-19-2002, 08:06 PM
drake3

If the Xenon lights in my BMW take less energy in watts to stay on than regular halogens why do they turn off when I kill the ignition and any car that I have driven with Xenons don't have walkway path illumination where the lights stay on for about 30 seconds after you leave your car?

I can understand why you cannot start a set of Xenon headlamps while there is no current running through the engine, but if they take less current from the battery then why can't they be left on when the car is not running?

Is it just on BMWs? Can they be left on in the Z?

Just curious.

Drake.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:58 PM
jasonintoronto

i dunno.

that being said, when i kill the ignition on my audi, the xenons turn off too.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:06 PM
happypants

Is the 350Z Xenon light "whitish" (like most cars, just brighter) or "bluish" (like on BMW's & other luxury cars)
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Z PHAT Z

350Z HID are whitish. I like those BMW blueish though.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:15 PM
350zSoon

Originally posted by drake3
If the Xenon lights in my BMW take less energy in watts to stay on than regular halogens why do they turn off when I kill the ignition and any car that I have driven with Xenons don't have walkway path illumination where the lights stay on for about 30 seconds after you leave your car?

I can understand why you cannot start a set of Xenon headlamps while there is no current running through the engine, but if they take less current from the battery then why can't they be left on when the car is not running?

Just curious.

Drake.
it takes more energy to turn on the HID than the halogen. Like whole lot more that's why HID need a ballast
Old 11-20-2002, 09:21 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I donno if this was the question...

but the Z doesnt go off by themselves. tho I hear they turn off 5 minutes after the ignition is off. but there is a solid switch and there is no auto on setting.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:52 PM
NUJOYZ

Originally posted by drake3

Just curious.

Drake.
It's a built in feature. The headlights only work when the key is in the ignition and turned to the "on" position. This holds true for non-xenon equiped cars as well.