Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Incompetent dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 AM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incompetent dealers

The complete lack of pride that Nissan repair technicians take in their work never ceases to amaze me.

I brought my Z in this morning to replace a bad window motor on the driver's side. The car was returned to me in about 90 minutes. The window worked, but the door panel was hanging off in the front, the broken clips not attached, the part of the door panel that you grab to close the door was loose and rattling (also scratched up), the window now only drops barely enough to open the door, not the usual 1/2", and the black painted panel to the rear of the window on the side of the car looked like someone had leaned against it with a steel wool shirt.

I was shocked they did not even notice these things, and if they did, that they would attmept to return the car to me thinking I'd accept it.

I always knew the Z was a pretty well engineered car, and that the dealer network would be the weak link. I had no idea how right I'd be.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:30 PM
flaviano

Default Re: Incompetent dealers

if we didnt live in different cities i would swear we went to the same dealer.

i had to get my drivers window replaced. i get the car back after 3 hours in service. the door panel is like and inch away from the door. (i could see right inside the door from the side). it was hanging and loose. my window was put in to high. it ended up ripping my upper seal as well as the bottom of the window seal. my door automatic door lock only worked every now and then on the drivers side. and the kicker. they put 4 three inch deep gashes in my paint. down to the metal. BELIEVE ME YOU NEVER HEARD F-BOMBING LIKE I GAVE THE SERVICE MANAGER IN YOUR LIFE.

my two month old Z needed window replaced. got car back with loose panel, broken door lock, two ripped seals, and gashes in the paint.

this was a week ago. brought it back saturday to fix the window, they did it wrong again. brought it back again today. left it overnight "i think i am crazy". they are going to fix the window a third time and repair the gashes in the paint at a body shop. lets hope the nightmare is over when i get the car back on friday.

also question. the door handle feels alittle flexi when i open and pull the door handle now. is that because the door panel has been taken off like 5-6 times. the door handle just does not feel as solid as it did before. what can i do about that. also the ripped seals. are those warrenty items. if they rip more can i get them replaced beefore 36,000 miles.

Last edited by flaviano; 09-29-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Nforce1

Default Re: Incompetent dealers

Originally posted by ZZtopp
The complete lack of pride that Nissan repair technicians take in their work never ceases to amaze me.

I brought my Z in this morning to replace a bad window motor on the driver's side. The car was returned to me in about 90 minutes. The window worked, but the door panel was hanging off in the front, the broken clips not attached, the part of the door panel that you grab to close the door was loose and rattling (also scratched up), the window now only drops barely enough to open the door, not the usual 1/2", and the black painted panel to the rear of the window on the side of the car looked like someone had leaned against it with a steel wool shirt.

I was shocked they did not even notice these things, and if they did, that they would attmept to return the car to me thinking I'd accept it.

I always knew the Z was a pretty well engineered car, and that the dealer network would be the weak link. I had no idea how right I'd be.

What dealer did you goto??
Old 09-29-2004, 10:09 PM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Incompetent dealers

Originally posted by flaviano
if we didnt live in different cities i would swear we went to the same dealer.

i had to get my drivers window replaced. i get the car back after 3 hours in service. the door panel is like and inch away from the door. (i could see right inside the door from the side). it was hanging and loose. my window was put in to high. it ended up ripping my upper seal as well as the bottom of the window seal. my door automatic door lock only worked every now and then on the drivers side. and the kicker. they put 4 three inch deep gashes in my paint. down to the metal. BELIEVE ME YOU NEVER HEARD F-BOMBING LIKE I GAVE THE SERVICE MANAGER IN YOUR LIFE.

my two month old Z needed window replaced. got car back with loose panel, broken door lock, two ripped seals, and gashes in the paint.

this was a week ago. brought it back saturday to fix the window, they did it wrong again. brought it back again today. left it overnight "i think i am crazy". they are going to fix the window a third time and repair the gashes in the paint at a body shop. lets hope the nightmare is over when i get the car back on friday.

also question. the door handle feels alittle flexi when i open and pull the door handle now. is that because the door panel has been taken off like 5-6 times. the door handle just does not feel as solid as it did before. what can i do about that. also the ripped seals. are those warrenty items. if they rip more can i get them replaced beefore 36,000 miles.
The seals are wear items, not warranty, but the dealer screwed them up, so he's obligated to replace them.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 PM
ZZtopp

Default Re: Re: Incompetent dealers

Mine was the same way........take off the arm rest cover and handle, and tighten the center bolts that hold the panel to the door frame.....this solved the same problem for me. They didn't even tighten the bolts down correctly.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 AM
flaviano

Default Re: Re: Re: Incompetent dealers

Originally posted by shopdog
The seals are wear items, not warranty, but the dealer screwed them up, so he's obligated to replace them.
when i get my car back on friday i don't want that dealer ever touching my car again. and the last thiing i want them replacing are the window seals. if they are done wrong, the window might leak for the rest of the time i have the car. seals are very important. so......what do you guys suggest. do you think nissan would fix the seals if i take it to another dealer. they need to be fixed. the car is two months old, and the seals are worn to the point of giving out in a few years at best.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:50 AM
mofoz

sometimes i think i know more about the god damn car the the mechanics. I was given my car back with my shift **** "barely" on. i mean i could spin it off with no effort. And the collar of the shift ****. it was under my seat. when i went to complain, he asks the mechanic and he says "i put it on the seat" why the hell wouldnt you put it on, oh i dont know, maybe.... hmm this is a tough one. THE SHIFT ****. I mean are you serious. Sometimes i wish i bought the G just for infinity service. I'll give them one thing though, they never cease to amaze me.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:14 AM
amallari

I don't think Nissan is hiring certified technicians. Most these guys that work on our Zs is either a high school/college student. They could care less about whos car it is. It's handy to have a digital camera around so you can take a before and after pictures. Take it to the service manager, maybe even the owner if they don't want to admit to their mistakes. Also, go around the vehicle and check to make sure that everything is ok before you leave the dealership.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 AM
vegaszdude

Which dealer did you take it to? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm due for my service soon.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:44 AM
flaviano

let me ask you guys a question. where can we take our Zs if nissan service is this bad? honestly? the Z is a new car. i don't want to take it to a neiborhood repair shop. what are we all supposed to do about this. my girlfriend takes her honda to the dealership and it comes back perfect every time. what do you guys do that don't take it to the dealer?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:10 AM
King Tut

Do everything you can do yourself. If you can't do it yourself, and it is a warranty item that you don't want to pay for then do as much work yourself as you can. Take off your own door panels and then just have them put in the new motor. I know we shouldn't have to do this, but that is the way I look at it. I always try to minimize the time anyone else is in control of my car. I didn't really even want to get my car tinted because I was worried.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:27 AM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by vegaszdude
Which dealer did you take it to? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm due for my service soon.
This recent window problem happened at PLANET NISSAN.

When I first got the car, the service manager at DESERT NISSAN was such an a$$hole/idiot that I would not leave the car with them for ANY reason. There was an occasional clunk in the front end, and the schmuck wanted me to leave the car on the lot indefinitely until the NIssan rep showed up....and he had no idea when that would be. This was at a time when there were maybe five Z's in all of Las Vegas, and they had none at their dealership.. Gee......what do you think they were trying to do? Get a free demo for a few weeks? When I refused, he acted like some whacked out little kid and told me take the car back to BOULDER NISSAN in Arizona (where I bought the car) for any future service....he' d NEVER touch my car. If my wife hadn't pulled me away, I probably still be in jail for kicking his fat a$$.

I took the car to UNITED NISSAN and they tightened the bolts in question (after I told them where to look), but they scratched up my track wheels in the process.

You might try DOUGLAS NISSAN. I haven't been there yet, but they're way on the other side of the valley from me.

The funny thing is, the service writer at PLANET NISSAN happily asked me to give them a great rating when I get the Nissan survey in the mail!!!

Last edited by ZZtopp; 09-30-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
shopdog

let me ask you guys a question. where can we take our Zs if nissan service is this bad? honestly? the Z is a new car. i don't want to take it to a neiborhood repair shop. what are we all supposed to do about this. my girlfriend takes her honda to the dealership and it comes back perfect every time. what do you guys do that don't take it to the dealer?
Remember that Nissan doesn't hire or supervise mechanics at dealerships. Dealerships are independent local businesses who happen to have a franchise relationship with the brands they sell. The quality of service you receive from a dealership is likely to be no better or worse than from any other neighborhood repair shop.

But dealers do have a monopoly on warranty service. So if you want warranty repairs, you have to go to a dealer. This is one of the drawbacks of factory warrantees. You're stuck dealing with a dealership's shop if you don't want to pay the full cost of the repair out of your own pocket. This has traditionally meant that the dealership's service shop hasn't had to worry about competition from independent shops.

You don't have to go to the shop of the dealer who sold you the car, though. As consumers have begun to realize this, dealership shops have had to start competing with each other. Chances are at least one dealership in your area has a reasonably competent shop.

The auto repair business is rife with incompetence and fraud. All you can do as a consumer is to investigate the reputations of all the available local repair places, and take your car to the one with the fewest complaints. It is still a crapshoot, though. Mechanics come and go. Shop foremen come and go. Dealerships change hands. The shop which did good work in the past may no longer do so, or the shop that was terrible in the past may be better now.

Frankly, I prefer to do as much of the work as possible myself. I know that mechanic best, know he is competent, and know he cares about the vehicle. Of course that means I forego the freebie value of the warranty, and pay the parts cost out of pocket. Unless it is a major item, I still believe I come out better this way.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:27 AM
KingofScion

What works best for me is to make a relationship with a certian service advisor. At the dealership that I run, most of my customers get introduced to a service advisor.

Remember at most dealerships advisors make comission. I guess you have to find one you trust.

Omer.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by KingofScion
What works best for me is to make a relationship with a certian service advisor. At the dealership that I run, most of my customers get introduced to a service advisor.

Remember at most dealerships advisors make comission. I guess you have to find one you trust.

Omer.
Commission, huh? Interesting. The first thing my service writer did yesterday was to try to sell me some ugly billet grille for $250.00.......he was more concerned with that than just getting my window fixed.

When I bought my car back the second time yesterday because the door panel was improperly installed, I watched my service writer work with the tehcnician to fix the problem (there is a window in the waiting room that looks out into the service garage). A saw him pull the car up, get out and wave his arms at the mechanic as if to say, "Sorry, dude, he didn't go for it." They were both laughing and shaking their heads. They both struggled with the damn thing for about 30 minutes before they finally got it mounted correctly. I still had to finish the job myself after I got the car home.