Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS

Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supergoji
actually the new camaro is supposed to be quite a handler.
look at ALL the specs.

for me though 370TT all the way.
Again, it won't handle near the 370z or even a 350z does.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Greg06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redline2009
For you douchebags who laugh at my dreams and intentions, take your envy and go to the Ford forums. It costs $2,000 to rent the 'Ring for an hour and that's all I need, plus I don't expect to spend less than $10,000 getting my car overthere and paying for hotels and stuff. And I said when I can afford it! I'm planning on being an Engineer so I'm hoping before I'm 30. I've loved the Camaro since the first concepts and I would love to own one, but I'm in love with the Z's design. I will test drive each and make a decision with my father! Thanks again
Chill guy most of comments are just directed toward the dangers of a high powered car with young inexperienced drivers.

Btw where did you get that rent the track for an hour for only $2k? Unless its a race event or car manufacturer testing etc.. imo it would be pretty tuff and prohibitively expensive for an individual to rent.

Ive been to the Nordschleife twice and did a total of 12 way over 7 sec laps . Last time I was there it was about 21 euros per lap. I got the multi-lap tickets which are cheaper, they range from 4 to 25 laps I think and cost about 70-300+ euros. And that place is crazy crowded.

Last edited by Greg06; 11-13-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 PM
michaeljr6

camaro ss..........support the us economy
Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Amuze

Why don't you just take it to laguna seca?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Z You Later

Sorry, I meant 4.8 seconds. Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am a very young and inexperienced driver as much as i hate to admit it, but I feel the easiest way of learning is experiencing it first hand. I ruled out the Dodge Challenger because it's sorta boring looking compared to the eithers and Dodge quality is no where close to Chevy or Nissan, same with the new Mustang GT coming out. For you douchebags who laugh at my dreams and intentions, take your envy and go to the Ford forums. It costs $2,000 to rent the 'Ring for an hour and that's all I need, plus I don't expect to spend less than $10,000 getting my car overthere and paying for hotels and stuff. And I said when I can afford it! I'm planning on being an Engineer so I'm hoping before I'm 30. I've loved the Camaro since the first concepts and I would love to own one, but I'm in love with the Z's design. I will test drive each and make a decision with my father! Thanks again
now this little statement will make you A LOT of enemies here

1. your talking to a group of people that OWN the car THAT YOU WANT

2. nobody is laughing at your dreams, just giving you a realization that these cars you are looking at are NOT TOYS, they will KILL YOU in a heart beat if you don't respect them...search around the internet and see what you find

3. you're digging yourself a grave in that most people here will give you GOOD and HONEST advice and not beat around the bush, take it for what it is and grow up or you're not ready to handle this type of car

all in all you're not in the position to flame anyone in here for giving smart-a$s BUT HONEST opinions for saying you really need to take these cars seriously and test drive them with your dad so he can feel the power as well...there are PLENTY of experienced racers on here that don't even use 80%, if that, potential of these cars on the street
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your next thread

"My daddy bought me a sports car and I wrecked it!"
Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was 17 I wanted a 300ZXTT, ahhh to dream. Good thing my parents said "HELL NO!!" Umm, good luck. And DEFINITELY buy that Camaro...ask pops for some cash now. Hurry.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 PM
black06z

Get the Camaro with the auto tranny.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Z053

So let me get this straight:

1) Kid has a Scion courtesy of his folks, a nice gesture but at 18 thinks he's Michael Schumacher and ready for a sports car.

2) He's in love with the Camaro SS b/c of its nice big engine and in love with the 370Z because its looks will get him some butt secks from average looking honeys.

*Now I was 18 not too long ago and I'd understand his first 2 wishes but then he heard about this track in Germany...

3) He wants to ship either a Camaro SS or a 370Z to Germany and spend 2 grand renting out the 'Ring for 30 mins before he reaches 30 years old when either car will be worth around 5 grand each in 12.5 years.

Does that even make sense? Take a 10-12 year old car to one of the ultimate track in the world when cars in 10 years will be superior in every way. Of course he can afford this because he plans to be an engineer and can then swim in money as we all know engineers are all ballin' outta control once you complete those easy courses.

Seriously, when they say think of the future means thinking about going to college, succeed, and secure a well paying job - not think of spending your dad's money now and chasing a scenario at 30 yrs old that is possible but also senseless.

If you really want to drive your car in the 'Ring so bad, beg your daddy for a new Porsche/BMW/Audi/Mercedes and do Euro delivery in Germany because that makes more sense than what you were dreaming about.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by black06z
Get the Camaro with the auto tranny.
+1. No offense to OP, but OP sounds like a Camaro guy. Oh, yeah, and another +1 for supporting the U.S. economy (michaeljr6). Buy 'em while you can...GM might/might not be around in the next few years.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
InZpire

These are the only Camaro pics that "almost" makes me wanna swing...

Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 AM
quietkilla6

Originally Posted by Z You Later
now this little statement will make you A LOT of enemies here

1. your talking to a group of people that OWN the car THAT YOU WANT

2. nobody is laughing at your dreams, just giving you a realization that these cars you are looking at are NOT TOYS, they will KILL YOU in a heart beat if you don't respect them...search around the internet and see what you find

3. you're digging yourself a grave in that most people here will give you GOOD and HONEST advice and not beat around the bush, take it for what it is and grow up or you're not ready to handle this type of car

all in all you're not in the position to flame anyone in here for giving smart-a$s BUT HONEST opinions for saying you really need to take these cars seriously and test drive them with your dad so he can feel the power as well...there are PLENTY of experienced racers on here that don't even use 80%, if that, potential of these cars on the street

You should just get a something old and slower and live your dreams with a platform that grows in horsepower as you grow in experience, instead of killing your self with a car thats to grown for you outa the box. At any age the temptation to go fast is hard. At 18 fighting temptation is near impossible. Ive seen alot of crashed civics, scions, cavaliers ect by 18 year old that thought they could handle 180 horse power fwd cars.
Look at hogans boy he thought he was a d1 driver and his friend paid the price. BE REALISTIC have you ever driven 0-60 in 4.8 seconds?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 AM
SnakeBitten

Sorry, I meant 4.8 seconds. Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am a very young and inexperienced driver as much as i hate to admit it, but I feel the easiest way of learning is experiencing it first hand. I ruled out the Dodge Challenger because it's sorta boring looking compared to the eithers and Dodge quality is no where close to Chevy or Nissan, same with the new Mustang GT coming out. For you douchebags who laugh at my dreams and intentions, take your envy and go to the Ford forums. It costs $2,000 to rent the 'Ring for an hour and that's all I need, plus I don't expect to spend less than $10,000 getting my car overthere and paying for hotels and stuff. And I said when I can afford it! I'm planning on being an Engineer so I'm hoping before I'm 30. I've loved the Camaro since the first concepts and I would love to own one, but I'm in love with the Z's design. I will test drive each and make a decision with my father! Thanks again
Says the guy who admits to having very little driving experience...Polly want a cracker? I just love parrots. You are too young and inexperienced to be this biased already.

Good luck with your Engineering goal however. Very lofty goals that are definately achievable if you work hard. Id get the 370z or a used Cayman S if daddy is buying in that price range
Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 AM
jray8

another inb4Hraes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:47 AM
TheStig

There is so much mis-information and ******** in this thread.

370Z faster than SS = ********
American cars break down = OPINION AND ******** (IMO)

You guys are the ultimate fanboy's. I am a noob to this forum, but if all you guys blatently ignore all other cars because they are inferior to your "mighty" 350z's then I probably wont be staying long...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by TheStig

You guys are the ultimate fanboy's. I am a noob to this forum, but if all you guys blatently ignore all other cars because they are inferior to your "mighty" 350z's then I probably wont be staying long...
3800+ lb Camaro SS will not beat a 3000-3100lb 370Z with only 50+~ more hp. As an example, look at the Challenger. 4000 lb, all the power and it has a hard time even hitting 13s.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 AM
DIGItonium

LOL wake up call and funny first post... got some coffee for me?

Z vs. SS in a drag race... hmm. Who can't ignore a 400+ HP V8?! Whoever wants a "fast" car to drag [at the tracks], stick to the fastest car money can buy.

I have a Z not because it is the fastest car (which it isn't), but it is fast enough. It has a "fun to drive factor," and that's what I look for. Plus, it's nice to share a garage with the Z32 Twin Turbo (also NOT the fastest car, but faster than my Z33).
Old 11-14-2008, 05:09 AM
TheStig

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
3800+ lb Camaro SS will not beat a 3000-3100lb 370Z with only 50+~ more hp. As an example, look at the Challenger. 4000 lb, all the power and it has a hard time even hitting 13s.
So when did 422-332 = 50 hp. Last time I looked that was 90. Not to mention the 138 ft lb difference in torque.

Did somebody fail math?

And yes, a 3800lb car with 422 hp and 408 lb tq will *** spank a 350z in a straight line.

Now, notice I have said nothing about handling, these are two different animals, and the Z will outperform it no doubt, the SS has a great suspensions tuned by Petters, and it will be a good handling car, but not in the same league as the 350, or 370 for that matter.

Look, im not trying to start **** with anybody here, I just have a pet peeve for mis-information and people over aguing cars that NONE of you have driven.

Last edited by TheStig; 11-14-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:38 AM
mjk

So when did 422-332 = 50 hp. Last time I looked that was 90. Not to mention the 138 ft lb difference in torque.

Did somebody fail math?

And yes, a 3800lb car with 422 hp and 408 lb tq will *** spank a 350z in a straight line.

Now, notice I have said nothing about handling, these are two different animals, and the Z will outperform it no doubt, the SS has a great suspensions tuned by Petters, and it will be a good handling car, but not in the same league as the 350, or 370 for that matter.

Look, im not trying to start **** with anybody here, I just have a pet peeve for mis-information and people over aguing cars that NONE of you have driven.

agreed. camaro will be a mid to high 12s car on street tires, and very low 12 on stickies. Hard to compare the z to the ss, but if op is deciding between evo and ss, I'd go SS. I was in a similar spot and didnt get the 07 z mostly because it was a 2 seater, and aftermarket is kind of weak for it too, but that wasnt the main reason.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Endgame

Did somebody fail math?

I disagree. I think the Z will beat or be neck and neck with the SS. Weight kills.... Solo had a good point about the Challenger; you can also look at the GT500. More HP and less weight than the SS, but it is in the high 12s. We will have to wait until test are run, and some of Solo's specs were off, but I feel we will see the Z running right with these guys.

To you point Stig (love your name!!!) the SS should come close to the 350 in handeling. They were testing it against a 350Z during their shakedown laps. The comment was that it was staying with it; it could not pass the 350, but the 350 was not walking away from it.

We will all see soon enough!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Dilemma: 370Z vs. Camaro SS