Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The Brutal Truth about the Z35

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase99
They already have the tooling and most of the hardware thanks to the Q. The Z35 NEEDS to start where most successful Z's have in the current $30K US dollar range. The reason I got rid of my 370Z for a 3.8 Genesis coupe wasnt performance...it was amenities. I got 95% of 370Z performance with 300% tech and pseudo lux for 9 grand LESS than i paid on the Z (base with sport). If Hyundai can do it, Nissan surely can.

I rather have a base 370 than a 3.8t fir the sam3 price.

The 370z is an over all better car than the genesis. Only thing Hyundai has is the amenities, and even then, its nothing special. These are "sport cars" and i rather have performance over comfort.

Otherwise, id just buy a 335i for the same price. Just my .02 though
Old 12-16-2015, 06:22 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
I rather have a base 370 than a 3.8t fir the sam3 price.

The 370z is an over all better car than the genesis. Only thing Hyundai has is the amenities, and even then, its nothing special. These are "sport cars" and i rather have performance over comfort.

Otherwise, id just buy a 335i for the same price. Just my .02 though
The 370 is a better SPORTS car than the Genesis. Having owned both thats debatable. Actually, IMO, for the money the Genesis is a better car.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 AM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

The 370 is a better SPORTS car than the Genesis. Having owned both thats debatable. Actually, IMO, for the money the Genesis is a better car.
Not sure your comparing fairly. " for the money" would imply settling.The Genesis is a great looking car. The lines are very cool. Do you think the car can hold its value? I did actually go to test drive one awhile back, but it stank like cig smoke I just walked away.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by 35th4me
Not sure your comparing fairly. " for the money" would imply settling.The Genesis is a great looking car. The lines are very cool. Do you think the car can hold its value? I did actually go to test drive one awhile back, but it stank like cig smoke I just walked away.
No, it wont hold its value as well as a 370 (which wont be that great either). But when buying a car I dont even consider resale value, Ill drive into the ground or buy a new car when im bored.

Obviously the Genesis you drove was beat up and used. Having owned a few handfuls of Z's before my 370 I wanted a 370. Drove a 3.8 Genesis before I bought the 370, still bought the 370. 10 months later traded it in for the 2014 3.8 Genesis realizing what i missed. I daily drive this sucker, if I wanted a die hard sports car, i would have kept the Z-its a better sports car. The Genesis, IMO is a better OVERALL car than the Z though. The salesman didnt know jack about the Genesis, and I didnt do my homework on it prior to buying it other seeing the awesome interior with all the stitching, tech and leather, 350HP/300TQ, for MANY thousands less the the 370.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 AM
35th4me

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

No, it wont hold its value as well as a 370 (which wont be that great either). But when buying a car I dont even consider resale value, Ill drive into the ground or buy a new car when im bored.

Obviously the Genesis you drove was beat up and used. Having owned a few handfuls of Z's before my 370 I wanted a 370. Drove a 3.8 Genesis before I bought the 370, still bought the 370. 10 months later traded it in for the 2014 3.8 Genesis realizing what i missed. I daily drive this sucker, if I wanted a die hard sports car, i would have kept the Z-its a better sports car. The Genesis, IMO is a better OVERALL car than the Z though. The salesman didnt know jack about the Genesis, and I didnt do my homework on it prior to buying it other seeing the awesome interior with all the stitching, tech and leather, 350HP/300TQ, for MANY thousands less the the 370.
I didn't drive the Genesis. Cig smoke is a deal killer. did it come with a crazy warranty? you as a car person, can probably take steps to insure max value down the road.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by 35th4me
I didn't drive the Genesis. Cig smoke is a deal killer. did it come with a crazy warranty? you as a car person, can probably take steps to insure max value down the road.

Its got the 10year/100K warranty. Thinking if I used it, have 20K miles on it now. I do need to bring it in, driver side window regulator is going. Other than that its bulletproof so far. I drive it pretty hard too, avg about 17MPG...hehe.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM
SoCal_VQ

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They already have the tooling and most of the hardware thanks to the Q. The Z35 NEEDS to start where most successful Z's have in the current $30K US dollar range. The reason I got rid of my 370Z for a 3.8 Genesis coupe wasnt performance...it was amenities. I got 95% of 370Z performance with 300% tech and pseudo lux for 9 grand LESS than i paid on the Z (base with sport). If Hyundai can do it, Nissan surely can.
You did what?! My god lets all sell our Volks and buy some varrstoens that's basically what you did when you traded in the z for a Genesis!!!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

they can leave the 370z emblem

they can keep their current demographic

they can entice new buyers buy adding a turbo or twin turbo option

raising the HP from the current 325-350 , to a more respectable ( overdue boost ) of 450 ish

and still have a price tag > $50K

my $00.02

while still justifying the GTR price tag as its way more than 450 HP
Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by SoCal_VQ
You did what?! My god lets all sell our Volks and buy some varrstoens that's basically what you did when you traded in the z for a Genesis!!!

Not even close. You'd be surprised at how refined the new Genesis 3.8 are. Not quite the performance of the 370 (though my butt dyno says on a roll the Genesis will show a stock 370 its tailights) but damn close and WAY more comfortable with WAY more tech with a WAY better interior. Its a superior DD and GT in every way but an inferior sports car (slightly).
Old 12-16-2015, 11:59 AM
SoCal_VQ

Not even close. You'd be surprised at how refined the new Genesis 3.8 are. Not quite the performance of the 370 (though my butt dyno says on a roll the Genesis will show a stock 370 its tailights) but damn close and WAY more comfortable with WAY more tech with a WAY better interior. Its a superior DD and GT in every way but an inferior sports car (slightly).
If you wanted refinement and a sports car you should of traded the z for a g. Not a Chinese knockoff lol but it's your life do what you please
Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM
darkgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually looks like they are coming out with a 3.0 tt motor i seent it on the faces book
Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM
SoCal_VQ

Idk where you people get your figures from but Nissan isn't going to put a similar price tag (30-50k) for a twin turbo 400+ hp car! The fully loaded 2015 Z with tax license and insurance is going to put the total cost at 50k right out the door. Then if you finance 😂 Smh your well over 50k for a Nismo.

The bottom line is it wouldn't be cost effective to produce such a car as a tt z now n days. Not to mention it would most likely hurt the sales of the GTR....
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Firebase99

If you wanted refinement and a sports car you should of traded the z for a g. Not a Chinese knockoff lol but it's your life do what you please
Not for $50+ G's...
Old 12-16-2015, 03:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

While I didn't want this thread to go too far OT, I never suspected it would devolve into a Gen Coupe vs. 370Z discussion. But just to add my $0.02, Hyundai did a good job of engineering the current Genesis Coupe, but also had a different focus than Nissan has with the Z. Hyundai is still establishing the Gen Coupe's performance credentials, while the Z has a long and rich history of racing and performance. Hyundai's actual target was the G37 Coupe, which accentuates luxury over performance. No surprise they used lower pricing and a longer warranty to embellish this product line. Hyundai has been doing that for years.

But back to the discussion at hand, I agree with Mic's assertion that Nissan needs a groundbreaking vehicle with fresh technology to launch this next iteration of the Z. Whether it's a new line of powerplants, or a development of hybrid technology, the next Z will need some cutting edge features and styling to keep them ahead of the pack. I just hope the essential spirit of the Z remains intact: a sportscar that puts driving performance at the head of the line. If it comes down to offering a better brake package or more stitching in the leather, the leather has to go! If it comes down to less weight, or offering the latest tech gadgets, I'm happy with jettisoning the toys. Of course, I'm a bit on the extreme side of "sporting", but this is also one reason why I still love my Z33 after all these years.

Last edited by dkmura; 12-16-2015 at 03:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dkmura:
35th4me (12-17-2015), kno (12-16-2015), MicVelo (12-16-2015), SmoothZ (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 04:43 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Amen, David.

For some of us, the Z doesn't have to be better, faster, more refined, or "cheaper" than comparable cars in the same or similar category. It's just the Z. There's the history, the stories from the track legends like Millen and Newman, and the Japanese car scene. Something more than just a price tag or performance numbers appeals to certain owners. It's the camaraderie, the events, and the passion of knowing you have a piece of automotive history. I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought that 1990 300ZX NA, but it sure was a pleasure to grow and mature with the scene and make friends within the community.

Yes, other cars also have history and made great advancements for the masses. Without a doubt, there is plenty of automotive legends to bedazzle the astute enthusiast. Somewhere deep down, I'm still stuck on getting a 1971 Buick GS or GSX. For others, it may be the memory of their grandfather's Studabaker that draws them into that crowd of collectors.

Even now, my current Z puts a smile on my face when I go to the store. Inevitably, someone will see it and give compliments or start a conversation about cars. That's what's great about being a car enthusiast and sticking with it; you'll never get bored conversing about it. And I'll never get bored driving the car that I've learned to make into an extension of myself when I'm on the track or in a difficult situation.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

IMO, the Z should not be in the same category as today's Mustangs and Camaros...it didn't start out that way and it wasn't until the '80s that the Z was dubbed the "Japanese Corvette" then continued to gain higher horsepower numbers thus higher price tags thus being dropped from the Nissan line-up. It's a Z. It's a raw, no nonsense driving car. If Nissan wants the Z to remain true to it's roots then that's the way it should remain; that, along with affordable price and reliability, should be it's marketing features.

I don't need my Z to heat my *** when it's cold, have a back-up camera or blow the doors off American muscle cars. I want my Z to force me to pay attention to the road and react. If anyone reading this has not taken your Z out, turned the radio off and driven your favorite back road or downshifted out of an on-ramp just to safely push the limits of your car, well, you're doing it wrong. It's a shame the 300ZX TT has tricked people into thinking turbo is the know all/end all modification, which (again, IMO) there's really no reason the Z should be less than a 5 second 0-60 car as long as it retains some torque to pull you quickly out of the turns.
The following users liked this post:
35th4me (12-17-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I feel like they have two choices

Go smaller and light weight again and fight for the Miata and FRS

OR make it with way more power to compete with its current competition
Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Idk where you people get your figures from but Nissan isn't going to put a similar price tag (30-50k) for a twin turbo 400+ hp car! The fully loaded 2015 Z with tax license and insurance is going to put the total cost at 50k right out the door. Then if you finance 😂 Smh your well over 50k for a Nismo.

The bottom line is it wouldn't be cost effective to produce such a car as a tt z now n days. Not to mention it would most likely hurt the sales of the GTR....
For a 300hp TT motor (mid-range Q50 motor) I think they will. The base price will probably swell up to 35k though.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:16 AM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.nissanusa.com/buildyourni...ipreq=26467372

prices of the car are here

it would be moot point to talk insurance and financing charges

back to the price of the car + a single turbo or twin turbo

$50K is really close
Old 12-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by dkmura
While I didn't want this thread to go too far OT, I never suspected it would devolve into a Gen Coupe vs. 370Z discussion. But just to add my $0.02, Hyundai did a good job of engineering the current Genesis Coupe, but also had a different focus than Nissan has with the Z. Hyundai is still establishing the Gen Coupe's performance credentials, while the Z has a long and rich history of racing and performance. Hyundai's actual target was the G37 Coupe, which accentuates luxury over performance. No surprise they used lower pricing and a longer warranty to embellish this product line. Hyundai has been doing that for years.

But back to the discussion at hand, I agree with Mic's assertion that Nissan needs a groundbreaking vehicle with fresh technology to launch this next iteration of the Z. Whether it's a new line of powerplants, or a development of hybrid technology, the next Z will need some cutting edge features and styling to keep them ahead of the pack. I just hope the essential spirit of the Z remains intact: a sportscar that puts driving performance at the head of the line. If it comes down to offering a better brake package or more stitching in the leather, the leather has to go! If it comes down to less weight, or offering the latest tech gadgets, I'm happy with jettisoning the toys. Of course, I'm a bit on the extreme side of "sporting", but this is also one reason why I still love my Z33 after all these years.
Well my handle on the Gen forums is GettingOld. Be pushing 40 soon and realized with all the straight roads in sunny Florida and awful traffic I wasnt quite ready for a Lexus but wanted something CLOSE to the 370 in feel but with much more comfort and DD ease for the same or less than I paid on the Z. Found that balance in the 3.8. IMO, I dont think theres a car on the market that offers better performance, tech and pseudo lux. I think the next Z, the Z35 should be two models. Bare bones inline 4 turbo, 2800 pounds, 250+HP around $26K starting and the GT version with all the bells and whistles, Twin turbo 3.0L V6 (420HP+) from Mercedes thats going in the next Q around $35K starting.

Last edited by Firebase99; 12-17-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: The Brutal Truth about the Z35