The Brutal Truth about the Z35 - Page 4 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2009+ 370Z General discussion and news for the Z34 (2009+) Nissan 370z with the new 3.7-liter V6

The Brutal Truth about the Z35

Old 12-18-2015, 06:25 AM
  #61  
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,135
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

The Z35 will be here by 2017, 18 at the latest. Its always been a "parts bin" sports car, this one will be no different. Take transmission from this, chassis from here, this engine. its what keep the costs down.
Firebase99 is offline  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:40 AM
  #62  
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Thread Starter
iTrader: (62)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,669
Thanked 656 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Firebase99 View Post
The Z35 will be here by 2017, 18 at the latest. Its always been a "parts bin" sports car, this one will be no different. Take transmission from this, chassis from here, this engine. its what keep the costs down.
Gotta respond to this one, it's so far off-base. The FM platform was originally designed for multiple vehicles and both the Z33 and Z34 have used it effectively. Look at the engineering changes between the first gen Z33 and the '07-08 models and it's clear Nissan didn't just throw a bunch of parts haphazardly together. Platform engineering is a accepted practice many car manufacturers have followed in the past two decades.

As far as the next Z being produced by 2017, you're dreaming. We might see some concept models being shown to gauge public response by that time, but that's about it. Nissan is taking their time to study what the next Z should be and the economic facts back that approach.
dkmura is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 PM
  #63  
35th4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 308
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I'm really hoping the next model raises the bar high. Can't wait to see it.
35th4me is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
  #64  
Alloy_475
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I see a lot of new Camaro's, Challenger's and Mustang's on the road but those cars are keeping stride with their lineage. In my opinion Z sales would be stronger if they had kept performance inline with these other 'sports cars'... but the Z was never meant to be a brute, and it's gotten too fat and heavy.

As for the future....i agree with those who say it's a toss up. Which way do you go to please a fickle, changing and cynical car buyer segment?

Mazda has only sold around 6,000 of the new MX-5, it may be the last one too.
Alloy_475 is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 02:12 PM
  #65  
SoCal_VQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Nissan doesn't need to do re design the Z just bring back the twin turbo Z edition similar to the 300zx and life will be good
SoCal_VQ is offline  
Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 AM
  #66  
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Thread Starter
iTrader: (62)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,669
Thanked 656 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SoCal_VQ View Post
Nissan doesn't need to do re design the Z just bring back the twin turbo Z edition similar to the 300zx and life will be good
If only life were that simple. But the reasons for the demise of 300ZX TT were that it had become too expensive, "fat and heavy" (per Alloy475). The Z needs time to reinvent itself, and that's exactly what Nissan appears to be doing- taking its own sweet time.
dkmura is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dkmura For This Useful Post:
WYZIWYG (12-23-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:34 AM
  #67  
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,135
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

2 liter 4 banger turbo at 300/300 at 3k pounds starting at $30K. NISMO with 3 liter V6 with snails at 420/350 at 3300 pounds starting at $38K, by 2017. And....go!!!
Firebase99 is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 01:33 PM
  #68  
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Thread Starter
iTrader: (62)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,669
Thanked 656 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Firebase99 View Post
2 liter 4 banger turbo at 300/300 at 3k pounds starting at $30K. NISMO with 3 liter V6 with snails at 420/350 at 3300 pounds starting at $38K, by 2017. And....go!!!
Dude...stop. Why would you persist in thinking that a new Z car is coming out by 2017? If you've been around for awhile, you know how Nissan operates. They put out a styling exercise a few years in advance and followup with an almost production ready model a year later. Then the REAL production model hits the car shows before production starts, so they get 2-3 bites of the apple before the car actually arrives.

So far, there's been nothing...unless you think that European GRIPZ models was the prototype for the next Z car. I sure as hell hope not! But past history and solid economic reasoning aside, what makes you think Nissan is ready to launch a new Z car in 13-15 months!?
dkmura is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dkmura For This Useful Post:
SmoothZ (12-25-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 01:44 PM
  #69  
Firebase99
Registered User
 
Firebase99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 1,135
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Dude...stop. Why would you persist in thinking that a new Z car is coming out by 2017? If you've been around for awhile, you know how Nissan operates. They put out a styling exercise a few years in advance and followup with an almost production ready model a year later. Then the REAL production model hits the car shows before production starts, so they get 2-3 bites of the apple before the car actually arrives.

So far, there's been nothing...unless you think that European GRIPZ models was the prototype for the next Z car. I sure as hell hope not! But past history and solid economic reasoning aside, what makes you think Nissan is ready to launch a new Z car in 13-15 months!?
Im just assuming/hoping the Z35 will chase the new Q in time frame.
Firebase99 is offline  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:18 PM
  #70  
35th4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 308
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

35th4me is offline  
Old 12-25-2015, 08:02 AM
  #71  
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (13)
 
SmoothZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 28,570
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default

I know this is a pipe dream, but I personally would buy the next gen Z if they tweaked the S30 body style and chassis and brought everything else up to current standards (i.e. interior, safety, engine, suspension, brakes). I love the old Z and how a lot of people are making hybrids or retro-mods. It would be interesting to see new S30's in production with all the modern amenities.

But that's just me.
SmoothZ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothZ For This Useful Post:
Done Deal DR (01-19-2016)
Old 12-25-2015, 08:18 AM
  #72  
35th4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 308
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Smooth I'm with you. I'd really like to see the car return to something closer to the S30.
35th4me is offline  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 AM
  #73  
nizmo_0385
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lakewood Washington
Posts: 1,304
Thanked 117 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SmoothZ View Post
I know this is a pipe dream, but I personally would buy the next gen Z if they tweaked the S30 body style and chassis and brought everything else up to current standards (i.e. interior, safety, engine, suspension, brakes). I love the old Z and how a lot of people are making hybrids or retro-mods. It would be interesting to see new S30's in production with all the modern amenities.

But that's just me.
Same!/
nizmo_0385 is offline  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:52 AM
  #74  
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Thread Starter
iTrader: (62)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,669
Thanked 656 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Shiro Nakamura, Nissan Senior VP and Global Design Chief, has stated that one design study for a future Z has been to return to its roots and make it a smaller, simpler car. But before anybody gets too excited, it's also clear that there are issues for the company, chief among them the lack of a small(er) RWD chassis. The Z33 and Z34 relied on the FM platform, but future development may not allow this.

But whether it's a mid-engine or RWD platform, the brutal truth is that the R&D costs just don't add up for a model with such low sales. For Nissan to spend millions on such a platform, there would have to be other spin-off models to help spread the costs. The next Q50 coupe looks like it'll be more complex and expensive, so that's probably going in a different direction.

Nakamura's latest comments seem to indicate the Z remains a project on the back burner. Again, not a surprise given the economic priorities the company has set for the near future (1-5 years). Even a limited production sedan model like the Maxima could be refreshed another generation (and justify them in sales) before a new Z makes it to production.

Last edited by dkmura; 12-25-2015 at 01:13 PM.
dkmura is offline  
Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 PM
  #75  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,813
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Shiro Nakamura, Nissan Senior VP and Global Design Chief, has stated that one design study for a future Z has been to return to its roots and make it a smaller, simpler car. But before anybody gets too excited, it's also clear that there are issues for the company, chief among them the lack of a small(er) RWD chassis. The Z33 and Z34 relied on the FM platform, but future development may not allow this.

But whether it's a mid-engine or RWD platform, the brutal truth is that the R&D costs just don't add up for a model with such low sales. For Nissan to spend millions on such a platform, there would have to be other spin-off models to help spread the costs. The next Q50 coupe looks like it'll be more complex and expensive, so that's probably going in a different direction.

Nakamura's latest comments seem to indicate the Z remains a project on the back burner. Again, not a surprise given the economic priorities the company has set for the near future (1-5 years). Even a limited production sedan model like the Maxima could be refreshed another generation (and justify them is sales) before a new Z comes into production.
I, unfortunately, have to agree with David on this - and that, despite the rhetorical thinking/dreaming I put forth early in this thread about a "new Z".

But yes, *drool* over the possibility - however remote - of a return to an S30 like car. 2800#, 10:1 power to weight ratio, 6 speed, 4.10 rear gear.... independent all around with cockpit adjustable roll stiffness, 16#-17s with gumball tires...

Would trade my Nismo in for one in a minute.

But that's automotive self abuse so I'll stop before I have to shave my palms.....
MicVelo is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MicVelo For This Useful Post:
35th4me (12-25-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 02:01 PM
  #76  
Sunset350ZR
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Sunset350ZR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 825
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't want to spend the search energy to look us the specs on the platform of the Idx model they shelved, but a smaller Z and other small models could use the same platform. Like others, I would love a modern S30. Unfortunately I think all of this is wishful thinking at best. So many of the 16 to 30 year olds I see have little car enthusiast spirit and some don't drive or want to drive.

Last edited by Sunset350ZR; 12-27-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Sunset350ZR is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 02:21 PM
  #77  
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Thread Starter
iTrader: (62)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,669
Thanked 656 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sunset350ZR View Post
I don't want to spend the search energy to look us the specs on the platform of the Idx model they shelved, but a smaller Z and other small models could use the same platform. Like others, I would love a modern S30. Unfortunately I think all of this is wishful thinking at best. So many of the 16 to 30 year olds I see have little car enthusiast spirit and some don't drive or want to drive.
Don't waste any energy trying to find and platform specs on the IDx, you won't find any. Concept cars are like that- built out of a hacked together chassis for the sole purpose of putting a styling concept on display.

But your last sentence holds a key as to why the next Z isn't much of a priority. The next generation doesn't seem to have much vision or enthusiasm for sportscars. As you say, they don't drive or have much of a wish to drive. That fundamentally changes how all car companies, including Nissan, have to view their future products. The Z was once a halo car for the lineup, and brought new buyers to showrooms even if they couldn't buy one. Now we're faced with a generation that would rather stay on their burners and use mass transit and Uber when necessary.

Yet another brutal truth...

Last edited by dkmura; 12-27-2015 at 02:48 PM.
dkmura is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 02:36 PM
  #78  
Sunset350ZR
Registered User
iTrader: (6)
 
Sunset350ZR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 825
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Agreed
Sunset350ZR is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 02:55 PM
  #79  
35th4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 308
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Begrudgingly I'll have to concur.
35th4me is offline  
Old 12-27-2015, 05:36 PM
  #80  
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (13)
 
SmoothZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 28,570
Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,271 Posts
Default

Basically, if Nissan stops making the Z because of cost issues, then that means our Z will be even that more desirable.

*keepsfingerscrossed*

Not saying I'd enjoy that little fact, but if they really do have major issues with investing that kind of money into a new line of Z's because of lack of interest, then so be it.
SmoothZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Brutal Truth about the Z35


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: