Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

2004 350Z Roadster?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:29 AM
Rogerc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 350Z Roadster?????

I have a chance to pick up a "Salvage Title" 2004 350Z Roadster for about $17000 to $18000.

The facts:
1. It only has 547 miles on it.
2. No mechanical damage done to it. In fact only the passanger side air back blew, the drivers side is perfect.
3. Back end and top are in perfect condition.
4. It needs the front end redone, the windshield replaced.
5. It is a very good friend of mine that will be restoring it. I have seen at least 20 of his "redone cars" and they are fantastic. I defy anyone to tell that it was wrecked.
6. It is silver and an automatic (which could be a deal breaker) cause I really want a stick).
7. Since it is a salvage title it will be difficult to sell so I will be keeping it for a long time....

Questions are:
1. Will there be any problem with the warranty?

2. I have tried to find a roadster to test drive so that I can see how windy, noisy and how difficulty the top is to raise and lower, but I have not been able to find one to check out.
Feedback on how windy, noisy and ease of raising the top would be appreciated.

3. How do you automatic guys like it?

Any other feedback on the roadster or the Z in general would be appreciated.

Thanks
Roger
Old 04-11-2004, 05:46 AM
FunZee

Roger, Your joking right?

FACTS:
Step 1. If the vehicle has a salvage title...it was TOTALED !!!
Step 2. Front end damage has to include engine damage, Thats where the motor is LOCATED!!!
Step 3. Your friend better be Houdini.
Step 4.You can purchase "totaled" Z's all day long between 4,000/7,000.
Step 5. NO WARRANTY !!!
RUN AWAY....DON'T WALK !!!!
I'm in a related biz..........................
Old 04-11-2004, 06:26 AM
mode101

Originally posted by FunZee

FACTS:
Step 2. Front end damage has to include engine damage, Thats where the motor is LOCATED!!!
Step 5. NO WARRANTY !!!
I agree .. be afraid, very afraid
Old 04-11-2004, 06:45 AM
Roadster Man

If the $17-$18k figure is for the "fixed" car I'd say go for it.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:09 AM
jovasi

I'd be very sceptical. For a Z Roadster to be totaled you're looking at over $20,000 in damage. ie: major engine damage. You never know how a car is going to behave down the road w/ that large of a repair done.

I too am in a related business (insurance claims adjuster) and we have repaired vehicles w/ very heavy front end damage. They always end up going back to the shop for further work.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:16 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe by salvage and that an airbag blew, it theirfore means it was hit. meaning impossible for it to not have mechanical damage. if it was fixed, thats a different story, but it was there, and will always have its little quirks.

I wouldnt touch it in a million years, not worth it.

also odd, but I thought the 2 airbags were triggered by the same thing... meaning how can one blow and not the other? I know the passenger might not if it was disabled or maybe theres a sensor, but the drivers side definitly should have.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:32 AM
FLZ

Hey Rc, I drive a 2004 ZR 6sp, personally , wouldn't have it any other way. But for whats it's worth, the auto trans is the option, not the standard. I think about $1200. +/-.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:43 AM
KingofScion

Are you saying the only reason the car is salvage is because the air bag blew?

Air bags deploy based on Decelleration not impact.

It is very common for one air bag to blow and not the other,

Will you be given the chance to drive this car before you buy it?

<20k is the price fixed?

Can you get an auto loan on a salavaged car?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:49 AM
rattycat

The insurance company has to be absolutely [positive] and most willing to 'write-off [salvage]' title on behalf of their financial obligation (not to say commitment). In other words --- they don't just say something like "okay, we'll write if off. You can have your way..."

As you can gather from all the 'posts' - taking ownership on a 'salvaged vehicle' is a very risky prospect.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:29 PM
marhot

Default BIG DITTO...

Originally posted by FunZee

FACTS:
Step 5. NO WARRANTY !!!
Before I add my .02, read FunZee’s reply again, and again, and again.

1. It only has 547 miles on it. Irrelevant to anything. All that tells you is that the first owner was one very unlucky dude or a very bad driver.
2. No mechanical damage done to it. In fact only the passanger side air back blew, the drivers side is perfect. Riiiiiiight. There WAS mechanical damage done, hence the SALVAGE TITLE.
3. Back end and top are in perfect condition. ????? Pictures please, I got to see this. (see #2 above)
4. It needs the front end redone, the windshield replaced. Thus, THERE IS MECHANICAL DAMAGE.
5. It is a very good friend of mine that will be restoring it. I have seen at least 20 of his "redone cars" and they are fantastic. I defy anyone to tell that it was wrecked. Ok, I defy you, every car he has “redone” are wrecks.
6. It is silver and an automatic (which could be a deal breaker) cause I really want a stick). This is the deal breaker?? Again, irrelevant information toward your decision.
7. Since it is a salvage title it will be difficult to sell so I will be keeping it for a long time.... Ah, yes, finally you are correct, sir. You’d better plan on keeping it a VERY long time unless you plan on giving it away. You’ll never make or get ANY money out of this ugly deal. Any money you spend on it is gone, NOW.

Questions are:
1. Will there be any problem with the warranty? NONE.
2. I have tried to find a roadster to test drive so that I can see how windy, noisy and how difficulty the top is to raise and lower, but I have not been able to find one to check out. Feedback on how windy, noisy and ease of raising the top would be appreciated.
This is the least your concerns.
3. How do you automatic guys like it? Sorry, REAL sports cars are stick. (just kidding.)

Bottom line. If you could get the car for FREE, then you and your friend Houdini will have a fun project car. Otherwise (to quote FunZee)… RUN, not walk, away from this ‘deal’ .
Old 04-12-2004, 05:32 AM
FunZee

Roger, You asked for it....you got it. (Toyota, just kidding)
We love ya dude !!!
Zee ya later....................................................... .........................
Old 04-12-2004, 07:02 AM
mode101

Hello .. Roger ?? Some questions have been presented for you .. got any more info on the deal ?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:49 AM
peterhong

Wanted to chime in on this. For a car to get "totalled" and a salvage title means the car had to be damaged beyond the blue book value. Given that this car is brand new (500 or so miles) the blue book has to be relatively high ($40K if Roadster touring) and for it to get a total loss tag = frame was damaged (which is never good) and/or there was enough mechanical damage to warrant it not worth fixing.

Stay away from this deal. If you take about $10K off the price then maybe it is worth dealing with the hassle. But also remember, the warranty is useless and the Z is known to have many little problems that you want the dealership to take care of at no cost to you.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Roadster Man

he posted some pics on another site. I'd still go for it.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...&threadid=8224
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 PM
marhot

Originally posted by Roadster Man
he posted some pics on another site. I'd still go for it.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...&threadid=8224
Thanks for the pictures, Roadster Man. I guess we must have scared Roger away. Too bad, I meant no offense. I hope he comes back with some follow-up.

OK, I changed my mind. I’d give $5,000 for the car after seeing the pictures. I hope Roger and his friend, Houdini, have a lot of time on their hands. (And a lot of money.) That is definitely a big time project. Yes, I’m sure Houdini can make it ‘look’ as good as new, given the time and money. If so, I hope he really does keep the car. Because I hope he doesn’t plan on doing any hocus pocus on that title. (If you know what I mean) That would not be nice.

Hey, Rog, come back! Update us.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Rogerc

Gang...
No one scared me away... just was gone over Easter Sunday and back now reading the forum etc.
I appreciate all the responses.

I am still interested in the groups feedback but please remember that I will not pay over $18000 for this car AFTER it is fixed, and completley brought up to specs. Some of you think I am paying $18000 for it wrecked. No way ...

Also none of you have seen or driven the 25 or so cars that I have seen this guy work on. I know of at least 10 that are over 5 years old and the owners are delighted and buy all their autos from this guy. He has two of the nicest cars I have ever seen and I have driven them both and they are flawless. He only takes certain types of cars with no frame damage etc...

Ok on with the news....
Actually went and looked at the car today and it is not as bad as it looks in the pictures. I found the business card of the salesman who orginally sold it and gave him a call to see what he knew about it.
He told me the orginal owner hit a deer and ran off the road into a small bush. He said the orginal owner was not hurt just scared the crap out of him when the deer popped out of nowhere.

He bought another Z just like it 3 weeks after the wreck.

He was told by the orginal owner that the insurance company totalled it because it was so new and they didn't want to keep dealing with every little thing that went wrong with it.

I will keep everyone posted on the events and take pictures of the progress and finshed product.

Again thanks for all the feedback.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:11 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you seem set on it. dont think youd find anyone willing to buy such a car, even for 18k after its fixed. itll be worth about 10k maybe. so its a clear loss from the start.

deers do alot of damage.

I wouldnt touch it, it seems others here wouldnt either. looks like one of those things youll regret when you cant get the alignment right, and little things keep going wierd. get hit like that, it throws everything off, rattles everywhere, ect ect.

but it sounds like youve already made up your mind, so I wish you luck.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:58 PM
cwerdna

Default Re: 2004 350Z Roadster?????

Originally posted by Rogerc

Questions are:
1. Will there be any problem with the warranty?
Since some people have posted conflicting/confusing info here... YES! You will have a problem! You will have NO warranty.

I would disagree w/people who say that the warranty is "useless". Given that some people have various probs w/their Z, I think if you had a warranty, you'd probably have warranty/recall work done on it at least once before any of the warranties expire. I've taken in my 04 Z for a few minor things so far.

From the warranty info book of my 04 Z it says:
SALVAGE TITLE
The limited warranty does not apply to any vehicle, and is rendered void if the vehicle is (or ever has been) isued a "salvage" or similar title under any state's law; or has ever been determined to be a "total loss" or equivalent by any insurance company...