Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:43 AM
mojo powered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

hey peoples!

someone must have done this on the forums and I don't seem to be able to find anyone. I want to keep my stock headunit since I did pay for the Bose system but I do not have navi. So I was wondering if it would be able to add a screen to the nav pocket and make it work with the stock headunit.

Since navi is a dealer installed option (it is, right?) I figured the headunit had a "Sound Input" in the back of it? I really wouldn't even consider doing an fm modulator for that, I would like to hardwire it to the stock headunit if it is at all possible. I guess I could always get an aftermarket headunit but I don't want to do that. Thanks for any input on this...
Old 01-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Faluzure

Bump. I'm interested as well.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
arodbrs

Default Re: Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

Originally posted by mojo powered
hey peoples!

someone must have done this on the forums and I don't seem to be able to find anyone. I want to keep my stock headunit since I did pay for the Bose system but I do not have navi. So I was wondering if it would be able to add a screen to the nav pocket and make it work with the stock headunit.

Since navi is a dealer installed option (it is, right?) I figured the headunit had a "Sound Input" in the back of it? I really wouldn't even consider doing an fm modulator for that, I would like to hardwire it to the stock headunit if it is at all possible. I guess I could always get an aftermarket headunit but I don't want to do that. Thanks for any input on this...
Yes it can b done, i have the stock bose stereo with after market 7 inch monitor, with ps2 and a dvd player all stock speakers headunit, i just added a 2 ch alpine amp 200watt rms by 2, and 1 12 inch cerwin vega sub in a tube. i can show pics if interested
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Faluzure

Default Re: Re: Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

Originally posted by arodbrs
Yes it can b done, i have the stock bose stereo with after market 7 inch monitor, with ps2 and a dvd player all stock speakers headunit, i just added a 2 ch alpine amp 200watt rms by 2, and 1 12 inch cerwin vega sub in a tube. i can show pics if interested
Hey arodbrs. I have a question. Which LCD did you get and the most important question, where/how did you power your LCD? I was looking into the same thing, but I'm not sure if the LCDs use DC power or AC power. On top of that, I have no clue of where to hook it up.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:10 AM
mojo powered

Default Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

Originally posted by Faluzure
Hey arodbrs. I have a question. Which LCD did you get and the most important question, where/how did you power your LCD? I was looking into the same thing, but I'm not sure if the LCDs use DC power or AC power. On top of that, I have no clue of where to hook it up.
I would think arodbrs just tapped the main and the ground for the headunit to power his screen. That would be the easiest way to do it. For the playstation though, arodbrs probably ran power straight from battery to an AC/DC converter.

I am extremely curious how he gets to get sound through his headunit.. is there an auxiliary input on the headunit?? I would think there has to be one where they connect the optional navigation's sound...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:43 AM
arodbrs

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Screen with stock headunit possible?

Originally posted by mojo powered
I would think arodbrs just tapped the main and the ground for the headunit to power his screen. That would be the easiest way to do it. For the playstation though, arodbrs probably ran power straight from battery to an AC/DC converter.

I am extremely curious how he gets to get sound through his headunit.. is there an auxiliary input on the headunit?? I would think there has to be one where they connect the optional navigation's sound...
hey mojo right on about the assesment, head unit is stock monitor is tapped into radio power source, dvd plaver and ps2 i got a converter and aux. switch i have for the sound of dvds or ps2
Old 01-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Faluzure

I'm kinda new... so this may be dumb. So what you did was power the LCD with connections directly to your new HU? Then connect the video to your PS2/XBOX and connect that audio to the aux on the HU?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 PM
mojo powered

arodbrs: Thanks for the help.

Faluzure: Yes, for the LCD, you can tap the power wire for the headunit.. To find which one it is, you can use a volt meter. Just look for the one that has 12V constant when the car is off and the key if off the ignition. For ground, always look for the brown or black wire. Constant battery power usually is red or yellow but not always so you'll have to test them each. If you just touch the tips of each wire inside the connector with your voltmeter's tips, you'll see which was has 12V right away. PM me if you need more help.