Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Installed JL sub behind driver's seat. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 PM
asu174

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed JL sub behind driver's seat. Pics

I had a stealthbox before, but I needed that cargo room back, so I decided to go with a sub behind the driver's seat. We chose a free air setup and went with a JL Audio marine sub given its flexibility for this sort of application.

Obviously, the stealthbox blows the single 10" marine sub away. But this setup takes up absolutely zero cargo room and still offers the same amount of bass that I need. It kills all bazooka tubes and other setups I have heard.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 PM
hokshi

wow looks nice...so that part opens and you still have storage? Very cool.. how far in does that sub go?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
asu174

Originally Posted by hokshi
wow looks nice...so that part opens and you still have storage? Very cool.. how far in does that sub go?
It doesn't open at all, but it didn't open before. It's the driver's side, not passenger. I still have the glove box on the passenger side.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Is it waterproof?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:58 PM
islandsnow

hows the vibration, any dynamat in there?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:20 PM
JimRHIT

Suggestion: paint it black.

A marine woofer is no different than most speakers other than than some water/saline/corrosion resistance tolerances are tightened up.

Other than the current non-blending nature of the install .. it is excellent. Some paint will make it perfect.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 AM
03zsmith25

you just plugged and played?? no dynamat and it sounds good?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:12 PM
MacRayZ

Originally Posted by asu174
I had a stealthbox before, but I needed that cargo room back, so I decided to go with a sub behind the driver's seat. We chose a free air setup and went with a JL Audio marine sub given its flexibility for this sort of application.

Obviously, the stealthbox blows the single 10" marine sub away. But this setup takes up absolutely zero cargo room and still offers the same amount of bass that I need. It kills all bazooka tubes and other setups I have heard.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it.
Lets see your opinion in a few weeks. I had a 10W3 enclosed in the same position. Although it provided decent bass, the location prohibited the sound to fill the cabin. Plus the massage sensation in your back quickly changes to an annoyance at best.

Pretty soon I got a Nazar under strut bar with a 10W7 and the sound quality has improved ten fold. Hopefully you didn't sell the stealthbox.

Before:

After:

I'm not trying to hate but rather educated since I have been there and wasted money in the process. If you haven't sold the stealthbox, hold off for a few weeks.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
GFrnk69

Originally Posted by MacRayZ
Lets see your opinion in a few weeks. I had a 10W3 enclosed in the same position. Although it provided decent bass, the location prohibited the sound to fill the cabin. Plus the massage sensation in your back quickly changes to an annoyance at best.

Pretty soon I got a Nazar under strut bar with a 10W7 and the sound quality has improved ten fold. Hopefully you didn't sell the stealthbox.

Before:

After:

I'm not trying to hate but rather educated since I have been there and wasted money in the process. If you haven't sold the stealthbox, hold off for a few weeks.

Hey thats exactly how i want my sub, how/what did u do to accomplish that? here's my current setup...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k69/jpg298.jpg

sorry about the picture quality, it was taken with my cell phone
Old 05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
asu174

Originally Posted by islandsnow
hows the vibration, any dynamat in there?
Absolutely no vibration whatsoever. No dynamat in the area behind the sub- just the factory foam padding. I do have the rear area pretty well padded underneath the plastic.

Pretty soon I got a Nazar under strut bar with a 10W7 and the sound quality has improved ten fold. Hopefully you didn't sell the stealthbox.?
A 10W3 isn't really designed for that sort of setup. The free air sub probably sounds a wee bit better, but I know exactly what you are saying. This setup does not like rap. It loves rock, but anything with boom doesn't work well.

I need the cargo room now. Even if I were to go back to a sub box, I would go with an under strut one for easy removal.

I asked them to paint it black, but they were hesitant because they thought it would peel off fairly quickly. The grille is super glossy and slick, so I don't know how well paint would stick.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:40 AM
04silverzcoupe

Before:

After:

please tell me you seriously arent trying to compare a 10w7 to a w3.
way different subs. similar to saying, why did you buy a 350z, you could have gotten a porshce for three times as much?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
MacRayZ

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
please tell me you seriously arent trying to compare a 10w7 to a w3.
way different subs. similar to saying, why did you buy a 350z, you could have gotten a porshce for three times as much?
I wasn't comparing the 10w7 to 10w3 as I stated the sound filling the cabin and the accuracy of the sub was far better with the under strut location regardless of volume. Plus the behind the driver location sounds like crap for the passenger; far too directional, but who cares about them anyways.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:59 AM
MacRayZ

Originally Posted by asu174
Absolutely no vibration whatsoever. No dynamat in the area behind the sub- just the factory foam padding. I do have the rear area pretty well padded underneath the plastic.

I need the cargo room now. Even if I were to go back to a sub box, I would go with an under strut one for easy removal.

That understrut bar is a fiberglass removable design from Nazar. Holds well with just velcro. I remove it for the track or if I am going golfing with my buds. Cost me 500 vinyled. You can find Nazar on this forum; just search and you shall find.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 AM
islandsnow

thanks for the info, i was going to put a free air sub in that location too, but thought the area to be too vibration prone. I am looking for clean bass though, did you put any fiberglass insulation to tighten it up a bit?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:31 AM
MacRayZ

Originally Posted by islandsnow
thanks for the info, i was going to put a free air sub in that location too, but thought the area to be too vibration prone. I am looking for clean bass though, did you put any fiberglass insulation to tighten it up a bit?
When I had the 10w3v2 behind the driver seat, the installer and myself were amazed by how little vibration there was. That was with an enclosed box built to spec of the sub so I'm not quite sure about free-air. If you have a roadster; behind the seat is just about your only option. If you have the coupe; use the hatch to your advantage and bounce the sound waves off the rear window and such to evenly fill the cabin. Cars that win sound competitions (not just for db but accuracy as well) have their subs facing the rear or upwards in the back of a hatch.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had the 10w3v2 behind the driver seat, the installer and myself were amazed by how little vibration there was. That was with an enclosed box built to spec of the sub so I'm not quite sure about free-air. If you have a roadster; behind the seat is just about your only option. If you have the coupe; use the hatch to your advantage and bounce the sound waves off the rear window and such to evenly fill the cabin. Cars that win sound competitions (not just for db but accuracy as well) have their subs facing the rear or upwards in the back of a hatch.

I feel I need to respond here...

10W7 Strut box can be had from Wicked CAs www.wickedcas.com

Convertibles and coupes now have a different option without being bothersome on your back with our nes behind the seta enclosures, They fit in th ecubbt hole and Fire in to th efloor. Here is the https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/183688-new-convertible-coupe-sub-box-behind-the-seats.htmllink