Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New Dnx7100 Kenwood All In One Special Forum Price

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
fizmixa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hold down the eject button for a couple of seconds. did you bother to read the manual??

Originally Posted by Sick Z
Just installed my DNX7100, i love it!! Does anyone have any jpeg background images they made?

Also how do you get the SD card slot to show? When I eject the unit, it doesn't slide down low enough to put in the SD card for the updates.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM
daverx7

Originally Posted by Nazar
If you reset the unit it should clear things up for you.
Well... we got the Z out and drove it a lot over the weekend, and the DNX7100 really acted up a lot especially with the iPod. I tried doing the reset thing and it reboots the unit, but it continues to exhibit any of the following symptoms:
** "authorization failed" displayed (I believe that is the wording)
** unable to navigate the iPod with the head unit, but actually plays the music through the stereo by navigating on the iPod.
** extremely long delays (could be over a minute) between ipod navigation screens or trying to skip back/forward or pause.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have not updated the Firmware on the Headunit. I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, but just in case here it is. You must do this firmware update for some of the older units that did not have the updated firmware to work with the newer Ipods.
http://www.kenwood.com/usb/info_program_en.html
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
daverx7

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Sounds like you have not updated the Firmware on the Headunit. I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, but just in case here it is. You must do this firmware update for some of the older units that did not have the updated firmware to work with the newer Ipods.
http://www.kenwood.com/usb/info_program_en.html
Excellent! I was 1.0.1, so I just upgraded to 1.0.9. We'll quickly see if there are significant improvements regarding connectivity with this version.

Big thanks!!

-Dave
Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 AM
daverx7

Okay... yesterday I spoke with Kenwood support a 2nd time.

There is a known problem with the .9 version working with prior generations of the iPod. With this being said, they sent me a special downgrade procedure to bring it to .4 as it works better with the iPods I own. At least this version is 3 revs higher than my original firmware. The drawback of this version is that it did not contain a fix for the Sirius satellite tuner requiring to change channels and change back to get the channel information when you 1st switch to that source. He hinted that there might be a future rev. that will fix all these issues and still be happy with the older iPods. (iPod Video)

Anyway... I tried the .4 version and after about 40 minutes of trying to break it (which used to take a whole 15 seconds before) and it appears to be resolved with the iPod.

If anything else happens, I'll post up.

-Dave
Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm thinking of making the switch from XM to Sirius.

I have the DNX7100 with the XMDirect Receiver (XMD1000) and XMDirect Smart Digital Adapter (Terk XMDKEN100).

Does anybody know what the equivalent parts for Sirius radio would be?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Eric_P

Why switch? Soon they will be the same.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_P
Why switch? Soon they will be the same.
^^ That is a good point. It’s very likely that the FTC and FCC will approve the XM and Sirius merger. In fact that certainty is what is making the stock for these respective companies drop so much recently when it should be the opposite. Sirius stock is trading for less than $2 per share now (down from $6 five years ago), but you can expect that to change very soon.

What’s happening is consumers are waiting before making a purchase decision until the hardware/software/configurations are finalized. Once this happens, the stock will go up as consumers resume buying the new products. Of course, the decline in new cars’ sales will be a factor.

I’m sure that any purchase of satellite hardware you make now will be updated for free or just a minimal charge once the merger is complete. The new company (merged XM and Sirius) will not want hardware penalties to be an obstacle to keep existing subscribers or gain new subscriers.

--Spike
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Please define "soon". I hardly ever listen to XM in my car anymore. The one channel I really liked (51 - Music Lab) has even been dropped online now for some other crap. My wife and daughter's cars both have Sirius.

Spike, you have a point there about the possibility of them offering some new cross compatible hardware. My year subscription is just about up, I guess I'll go monthly until they get their collective **** together and have a path forward.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Spike100

Dave, To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio on your Kenwood DNX7100 you need the following components:
  • SiriusConnect SC-C1 universal tuner
  • KCA-SR50 adapter
It appears the merger is a certainty since without this, satellite radio is stalled and both companies are in dire straits. Add the decline in new cars sales, and it’s even a worse financial outlook for both XM and Sirius.

A merger revitalizes the companies. But, the FTC is going to watch the result closely. The main issue is pricing and protecting the consumer. I doubt that there will be any increase in the subscription price, and possibly a reduction. It almost certain there will be a “menu” of packages that allow consumers to select specific the stations. Hardware purchase will also be protected so that consumers won't lose anything here either.

I’m guessing but think that the two will remain distinct entities as far as station selection goes for at least another 12 months (maybe more). My point being that you won’t get Sirius on your XM hardware for some time (but, I could be wrong about that). If you buy the Sirius components now, you can enjoy the better Sirius environment (a personal preference) for the next year or so before any significant changes happen with the hardware. Station selection and “packages” may happen slightly sooner once the merger is approved.

My point ( finally if anyone has the patience to read this long message): You can expect any hardware you buy now to be operational far into the future. That is something that the FTC is requiring in the merger-approval. That means you can buy a Sirius tuner now, and expect it to work after the merger.

--Spike
Old 08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Spike100

Sirius and XM merger update…

Today in an article in the WSJ, Sirius and XM announced a new sports channel that will be the same on both Sirius and XM receivers.

The press release comes from an entity named “Sirius XM.”

Hmm… looks as though there is some anticipation for the merger. It appears to be a “done deal.”

So… It’s apparent that there is no need for anyone to change equipment. Sirius and XM are planning to blend their respective stations into a single product that will be available to subscribers of either company. The new company will be Sirius XM with identical channels.

--Spike
Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Just bought a new car with 6 months free of Sirius. Naturally, they tried to sell me a subscription beyond the 6 months. I asked about adding the new Sirius radio onto my existing XM subscription and was told that would not be possible for a long time. Even though they've had years to plan this merger, there's still a lot of details they don't have worked out.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Spike100

^^ Good points

Here is what you can expect:
  • The merger will happen, and the new company is called “Sirius XM.”
  • Existing consumer hardware will be supported for now and, probably far into the future.
  • Subscription prices will not increase. There may be some “package” offerings that vary from the existing pricing-structure, but the FTC is watching closely so that consumers get the best deal and do not pay more for the same product existing today.
  • New stations will be available on both Sirius and XM.
  • Consolidation of stations is a certainty, and those will be on both Sirius and XM
  • Weak stations will disappear to make room for better stations.
I really like satellite radio. It’s much better than terrestrial radio. With satellite radio:
  • I can listen to anything I want and not have the annoying and continual advertising messages I must listen to on terrestrial radio.
  • The selection is specific, but huge (lots of stations)
  • Great music selections
  • Great “talk radio” (everything from news broadcasts from anywhere in the world, to comedy, Playboy Radio, PBS, etc.)
  • Satellite radio is always available and no lost of terrestrial radio signals when on road trips in my car
--Spike
Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this on my stock watch. May help.

We do have Sirius Training on Monday night, If I learn something new, I will pass it along.

COMING SOON

The first satellite radios capable of allowing consumers to choose their channels a la carte will be available by November.

Radios that can pick up programming from both networks are expected within nine months.

No prices have been announced for either, yet.

In the meantime, the company has unveiled eight new subscription plans that will be rolled out in about three months. Here are the highlights:

For $6.99, consumers can select 50 of 100 available channels from the old Sirius network or 50 of 100 from XM. A new radio will be required.

For $16.99, Sirius or XM customers can receive their current programming plus a “best of” lineup from the other network. Existing radios will work.

For $9.99, subscribers can opt for either an all-music or all-talk news and sports lineup. No new radio is required.

A family-friendly version of existing Sirius or XM programming will be offered for $11.95.