Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

XM Radio HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Takhteh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Radio HELP!!

I purchased a bunch of stuff today to finally start work on my audio set-up, and am in the 'hole" mucho, but had to do it already! Anyways, things I bought include:

JVC KD-AVX33 DVD/CD HU
Kenwood KNA-G510
Kenwood LZ702W Touchscreen Monitor
XM Adaptor to 'JVC' HU

Now I'm confused bc I bought the XMDJVC100/XMD1000 satellite radio adaptor thinking I had to connect this stuff through the HU to work, but then I see there's a different Kenwood GXM 30 Navtraffic adaptor for like $250, that works through the G510 unit. Two (2) questions: (1) should I do these connections through the G510 or the JVC HU unit, and I'm quite confused since both are different brands and don't know how it would work w/connections and (2) I want both XM radio and 'Navtraffic' to work, so did I buy the wrong thing? Is that expensive piece the one I need to get Navtraffic on the monitor?? I'm guessing so but PLEASE help!! ..it might be too late to cancel my order for the XM stuff I originally bought, but am hoping not, if so!

Last edited by Takhteh; 05-12-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Takhteh

Man, what a mess..

I thought this would all work out, but maybe not:

As I understood, the Kenwood KNA-G510 can be synced up to the LZ702W touchscreen and work the navigation controls.. but this guy from crutchfield tells me, i didn't order from them but he still offered some advice, says that the G510 is only compatible with select Kenwood receivers, hence no navtraffic unless both HU and XM antenna/receptor thing are for kenwood.. I was going to buy the XM receptor for the Kenwood G510, but have the JVC HU still.. and I wanted to get navtraffic on both the JVC HU and touchscreen monitor, or ATLEAST just the monitor!.. So.. ahhhh... what a mess now. Should've just gotten the DDX-7019 pkg and called it a day, am regretting it. Does anyone know if I can still salvage any of this install?? I bought all this junk from ebay and am sure nobody will cancel the transactions at this point!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Takhteh

Top message was recently sent back in reply to the crutchfield rep's "initial reply" to my situation, so might want to read the bottom one first.. but do you guys have any thoughts on this?? I would definitly appreciate any input anyone can give. CRAP dude, I thought this would be an "awesome" set-up but it may have just exploded in my face!

Hi Andy, thanks so much for the email. I really appreciate it. But I still have a couple of questions bc I think/hope that I can make this somehow work with what I've got. You mentioned that the G510 (Navtraffic) is only compatible w/kenwood receivers, but suppose I just synced up the G510 to the Kenwood LZ702W touchscreen, which has nav input/video input/video output and still bought the XM Navtraffic GXM 30. Can I atleast use the Navtraffic on the touchscreen monitor, or would I ALSO need some "special" XM Navtraffic ready HU? And since the LZ702W has video input/output and the JVC HU is "dual-zone" capable, couldn't I somehow link the navigation to the HU, EVEN though they are of different brands?

Many thanks for your advice and time.

Regards,
Ty
Solutions@Crutchfield.com wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your email and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty installing your gear. The Kenwood KNA-G510 is only compatible with select Kenwood receivers and is not compatible with the JVC receiver. However, you can connect a satellite radio tuner to the KD-AVX33 in two ways. The unit is directly compatible with the SIRIUS SIR-JVC1 Satellite Tuner for JVC (item number 607SIRJVC1). The Terk XMDirect universal XM Satellite Radio tuner (item number 209XMD1000) can be connected to and controlled by the head unit when used with the XMDirect Smart Adapter for JVC (item number 209XMDJVC1). You can find these items on our web site here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...105KDAVX33#Tab

The JVC receiver you have is not compatible with a XM NavTraffic tuner. I wish I had better news for you there.

I know that isn't exactly the news you wanted to hear today, but I hope that helps. When you're ready to make a purchase, just click on the "Begin Checkout" button once all your items are in the Online Shopping Cart. Please put my name, Andy, in the Special Messages section of the online order form. You will find that box on the last page, where you click on the Submit Order icon.

Thanks again. Please let us know whenever you need anything else.

Andy
Crutchfield Sales Advisor
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Takhteh

Default AUDIO GURUS- Help!!!

I guess nobody here really knows about the XM stuff either? And I am convinced 'Crutchfield' has no idea what they're talking about. I won't post my most recent response from them, but a different lady got back to me and said I couldn't even connect the G510 to the LZ702W which OBVIOUSLY is not true!! Man, I just wish there was someone who knew all of this stuff!??! But I think I may finally have a grasp on it, not sure, but maybe..

It seems like it's true that you need the HU to be Navtraffic compatible, or atleast the same brand as whatever your nav AND your xm tuner is specified for.

Bummer..
Old 05-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Takhteh

I think I'm just going with a Kenwood HU now. The 'guy' on Ebay was nice enough to let me retract my bid So... if anybody cared anyways.. I think this should solve the XM Navtraffic problem.

I just don't like how you can't interconnect these different brand devices, you know? It's all about some "same brand" marketing tactic or whatever.. Nonsense. Anyways, it is also early in the whole Navtraffic "thing," I understand that. I just think it'd be such a cool tool to have especially w/commuting back and forth to school at nights.

Much calmer now, btw, since everything is pretty much straightened out..
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response ( I understand that decisions need to be made quickly when buying on eBay). And... I believe you already have solved the problem. Obviously the "XM Adaptor to JVC' HU ( XMDJVC100/XMD1000 satellite radio adaptor ) won't work with your Kenwood setup.

Your setup ( Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor) requires adding the Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver. This arrangement has nothing to do with the H/U.

Component List:
Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box
Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor
Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver

Installation:
1) Connect the Kenwood LZ-702W monitor to its hideaway box.
2) Connect the LZ monitor's hideaway box to the KNA-G510 Navigation Box
3) Connect the Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver to the port on the KNA-G510.

I understand your frustration. The reason you received little feedback is because these are fairly new products.

--Spike
Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Takhteh

Hmmm.. appreciate the response. So, it seems you think I could've still set up the JVC HU and done all the Navtraffic through the LZ702W, if I had that part of the system set up? See, this was my initial reasoning, too, and I just wanted to throw the JVC into the mix bc of it's enormous list of cool options.. but then I was led to believe I needed an XM Satellite Capable HU, specific to the brand of whatever navi unit/Navtraffic receptor I had installed.

Either way, I think I am going to go with the Kenwood HU/set-up for now, but I find it so unfortunate that nobody at customer service or anywhere can "accurately" shed light on this topic.. anyways, it is "new" gear so I guess it'll take some time to get feedback.. I guess that's the price you pay for trying to "stay ahead of the game," haha..

But thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Spike100

^^^^

Re:> "So, it seems you think I could've still set up the JVC HU and done all the Navtraffic through the LZ702W, if I had that part of the system set up?"

Yes you could have done it that way.

Re:> "See, this was my initial reasoning, too, and I just wanted to throw the JVC into the mix bc of it's enormous list of cool options.. but then I was led to believe I needed an XM Satellite Capable HU, specific to the brand of whatever navi unit/Navtraffic receptor I had installed."

Agreed... Crutchfield "dropped the ball" on this one. You received inaccurate advice. In their defense (Crutchfield) I would say your configuration was unique and unusual. The "profile" of your installation was outside Crutchfield's support-training

Re:> :Either way, I think I am going to go with the Kenwood HU/set-up for now, but I find it so unfortunate that nobody at customer service or anywhere can "accurately" shed light on this topic.. anyways, it is "new" gear so I guess it'll take some time to get feedback. I guess that's the price you pay for trying to "stay ahead of the game,"

Leading ("bleeding") edge is lonesome. Staying "all Kenwood" isn't a bad idea (but, it really isn't necessay when adding better H/U's) with the setup you are using.

I understand your frustration and agree with your comments. For sure, devices should be interchangeable

--Spike
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Takhteh

Dude, why do none of these manufacturers understand how their products work?? I have just contacted JVC/XM Radio in addition to the previous Crutchfield/Kenwood. Let's see what they say.

If it would've worked I am going to be PO!!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Takhteh

...on that note.. I may potentially have a KCA-BT100 bluetooth adaptor and Kenwood KDV-412 DVD/CD player up for sale. And I didn't even get these units yet!?!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Takhteh
Dude, why do none of these manufacturers understand how their products work?? I have just contacted JVC/XM Radio in addition to the previous Crutchfield/Kenwood. Let's see what they say.

If it would've worked I am going to be PO!!
Originally Posted by Takhteh
...on that note.. I may potentially have a KCA-BT100 bluetooth adaptor and Kenwood KDV-412 DVD/CD player up for sale. And I didn't even get these units yet!?!
I would only point out that your thread (with its questions) is about 24 hours old. I know you have been working on this (planning stage to implementation) much longer, but solutions do take time.

The manufacturers will always tell you to remain within their product-line to insure compatability. The only instance where different manufacturers advise mixing components is when one company supplies another with OEM products (i.e., Garmin and Kenwood). Certainly JVC won't cooperate with Kenwood or Garmin (at this point in time, but who knows what the future holds).

Not flaming or being critical... and only offering a respectful comment to your thread.

--Spike
Old 05-14-2007, 05:00 AM
Takhteh

Originally Posted by Spike100
I would only point out that your thread (with its questions) is about 24 hours old. I know you have been working on this (planning stage to implementation) much longer, but solutions do take time.

The manufacturers will always tell you to remain within their product-line to insure compatability. The only instance where different manufacturers advise mixing components is when one company supplies another with OEM products (i.e., Garmin and Kenwood). Certainly JVC won't cooperate with Kenwood or Garmin (at this point in time, but who knows what the future holds).

Not flaming or being critical... and only offering a respectful comment to your thread.

--Spike
Right, and I understand I was trying to get answers in like only the 1 or 2 days of posting all this. I just know I won't have much time after two weeks from now to work on this project and, last minute, decided to jump into it. Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a while, general plans, but over the weekend just decided.. let me do this already! And I absolutely WELCOME criticism, atleast if it is from a knowledgeable perspective. I know there are many members on this forum that are pro- installers themselves and am just hoping to get their feedback on this issue, as well.

For the whole Navtraffic thing, and if that works out w/o the HU.. great! But part of my reason for choosing these specific devices is that the LZ702W has multiple A/V in/out locations as well as the RGB input from Navigation. The JVC HU similarly can play DVDs and has multiple A/V in/out locations, dual-zone capability, etc, etc. So if the only way to get Navtraffic is throught the LZ702W, that's fine.. that's Great, in fact! Bc I only plan to have the Nav showing up inside the cubby. But I wanted the option to have DVD playing at the same time (small 3.5" screen on JVC HU) and figured bc there are so many input/output locations I could also play DVD on the LZ702W, as there is a simple switch on the monitor letting you switch from DVD to Navi. Did I miss something, I mean why WOULDN'T this be possible? I can understand if for "compatibility issues" the navi can't be "directly" connected to the JVC, but shouldn't the navi display anywas on it bc of the multiple connection possibilities?

Still awaiting feedback from JVC/XM Radio, but thanks for your input so far Spike.. def appreciate it.

Ty
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Spike100

Ty, I understand the time limitations you describe. To do do a quality install, you must set aside a few hours (a weekend or a couple of days at least). And, since your car is apart (and not driveable), you must do this start-to-finish inside the time allotted. I've "been there," and I understand.

The installation you are planning (navigation with a remote screen and XM radio and traffic) will work as long as you install and connect these components:

Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box
Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor
Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver

This provides a great navigation solution. This setup has nothing to do with the H/U as far as the navigation part is concerned. You get great navigation with touch-screen control, voice guidance (throught the LZ-702W Monitor's speakers), and XM Radio and Traffic guidance (via the Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver). That works perfectly.

Adding an H/U that has a DVD player and directing the video output to the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor is another story. You certainly want your installation of the LZ-702W Monitor in the Z's upper/forward cubby to be steath. That means installing the finisher piece in the upper/forward cubby. That will hide the LZ-702W Monitor's buttons. The LZ-702W Monitor does support mutliple video inputs (the navigation input along with two other video inputs). But, selecting the input requires access to the lower buttons (specifically the V.Sel button) on the LZ-702W Monitor. You won't be able to control this "video switching" to various sources with your setup unless you add some custom stuff (e.g., A/B video switches). THEDUKE has a thread on this Forum describing his installation of these Kenwood products in a Z. I believe he has overcome this problem (remote video switching to the LZ-702 Monitor).

This is an "aside," but the reason I decided to go with the Garmin GVN 52 Navigation Box and the Farenheit T-7000MHR screen is because this environment is totally "open." With this installation, I have full control of the Farenheit screen with a handheld IR controller and the Garmin GVN 52 with a handheld RF controller. I can connect anything I want to these components (e.g., video players, H/U's, etc.) and never worry about compatability, switching video input, etc. It just always works perfectly without any fuss. The feature I lack with this setup is touch-screen support.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-14-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Takhteh

Thanks again for the input Spike. Well, since I already ordered the Kenwood KDV-412 HU, and it's been shipped, I'll see how that works out. I cancelled the XM Navtraffic thing, however, bc the rep from Kenwood told me that Navtraffic would work, but that XM radio would not, atleast XM radio would not play through the HU. This is bc I have the GNA510 going to the LZ702W. But I think I've seen pics of others setups w/two XM adaptors and never understood why, until now. So maybe that is what I would need; to get the two adaptors, one for XM through the HU/and one to maintain Navtraffic through the LZ702W?? Rep said that I would have to purchase one of the DDX-6019/7019/8019 to be able to do the Navtraffic normally and with just the GXM 30. Why, I dunno. But I think it's so silly. Anyways, those monitors are way more $$ and would not help much for my "stealth" install.

So... the switching between DVD/Navi on the monitor is something I've definitely overlooked. I'm very interested, though, in finding out more about the A/B switch process you mentioned, so hopefully I can find this if I run a search!? But sounds like a good idea.

Anyways, I'm going to work with what I have "on the way" for now and then maybe upgrade the XM Radio/Navtraffic thing at some point, if I should decide to dish out the extra ~$275 + subscription service.

I just wish the KDV-412 was a little better looking..

BTW, I was looking through the online manual at how to setup an external monitor. They have only one video output wire (yellow) that goes to the monitor. What wiring do I need to connect this to the LZ702W, any idea?

Thanks again. You're comments have been very helpful/informative in my deciding how to proceed w/all of this. I think I REALLY underestimated what I was getting myself back into!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Spike100

re> I cancelled the XM Navtraffic thing, however, bc the rep from Kenwood told me that Navtraffic would work, but that XM radio would not, atleast XM radio would not play through the HU. This is bc I have the GNA510 going to the LZ702W. But I think I've seen pics of others setups w/two XM adaptors and never understood why, until now. So maybe that is what I would need; to get the two adaptors, one for XM through the HU/and one to maintain Navtraffic through the LZ702W?? Rep said that I would have to purchase one of the DDX-6019/7019/8019 to be able to do the Navtraffic normally and with just the GXM 30. Why, I dunno. But I think it's so silly.

I believe that is correct, and it is silly. Kenwood needs to fix this, pronto. It is awful that you cannot play the Kenwood GXM30 Nav Traffic and XM Satellite Receiver through any brand of H/U (Kenwood or otherwise) when the setup is using the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box with the Kenwood LZ-702W Monitor. This has me already thinking about a work-around/solution, but why doesn't Kenwood offer this?

re> I just wish the KDV-412 was a little better looking

I agree. It is not ugly, but it sure could use a redesign.

re> BTW, I was looking through the online manual at how to setup an external monitor. They have only one video output wire (yellow) that goes to the monitor. What wiring do I need to connect this to the LZ702W, any idea?

The yellow wire is a composite video lead that supports NTSC/PAL. You connect composite video directly to the LZ-702W.

--Spike