Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

adsfasdf
Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by nMugen
I dont have an ipod.

Im poor lol.

Ill check out those kenwoods, because those damn eclipse units are out of my price range. :-\
Consider getting one. An ipod plus an Avic-d3 is probably cheaper or equal to most of these other units price wise, then youve got 30+ gb of music on tap and dont have to fool with the nav cd, plus you can take your music with you when you leave the car if you want. Anyway, changing the nav cd isnt as big a deal as it seems, if youre constantly changing your route every 5 minutes, you probably already know where youre going anyway, and dont really need the nav. For the instances you actually need it, you shouldnt need to fool with the cd more than once a trip, and if youre like most of us, just get an ipod and then you can leave the cd in the drive full time.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 AM
THE TECH

My Kenwood 7100 has worked great so far for me. It does it all!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:34 PM
nMugen

How accurate is the navigation on the avid d3? Is it even worth getting? Ooooh the anxiety!!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Wheelman

On what basis do you judge accuracy? It's yet to send me the wrong way, and always notes my correct position on the map. I don't know what else you could ask for.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 AM
Dio1988

i love pioneer personally. i've bought my last two head units from them and haven't regretted it one bit. my suggestion to you is to go w/ the avic
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
LANshark

Default Eclipse cheap and crappy?

Originally Posted by SteevoZ
i dont know much about eclipse but i've always thought of them as cheap and crappy but again, i don't know much about them. I would look for some reviews on them.
You must be kidding. Eclipse is one of the best brands. I have an Eclipse HU with a 7 inch touch screen, Nav, DVD, CD/MP3, HD radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, blah, blah, blah. The quality and sound are incredible. I will put it up against Bose any time.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LANshark
You must be kidding. Eclipse is one of the best brands. I have an Eclipse HU with a 7 inch touch screen, Nav, DVD, CD/MP3, HD radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, blah, blah, blah. The quality and sound are incredible. I will put it up against Bose any time.
Eclipse is a very good unit. The downside is the GPS component (which uses TomTom application software and the Tele Atlas database maps). Kenwood and Garmin provide a better GPS solution (Garmin application software and NAVTEQ maps).

--Spike
Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 PM
kleefton

How accurate is the navigation on the avid d3? Is it even worth getting? Ooooh the anxiety!!
It's about 95% accurate; sometimes you can be off by a couple of house #s or so. .

The main gripe I have with it is the fact that sometimes the routes picked aren't the best. For example even though you have the ability to choose between a SHORTEST route and a FASTEST route, the fastest doesn't necessarily include highways or routes that make the most sense. The routes get you to where you want to go though, so if you have no idea where you are, this thing will guide you for sure.

I used to have a Mio portable Navi and that device was superior at picking routes and the voice guidance was superior as well.

The D3 is a nice 3-in-1 system but the navigation isn't its best feature. The DVD player, Ipod capabilities and builtin EQ are its strengths.

Last edited by kleefton; 08-10-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
nMugen

Well I just bought the damn thing, and its going to be awesome, even if I dont like it, its going to be awesome... because I just paid 700 bucks for the damn thing.. the guy threw in the wiring and the trim, I guess thats standard nowadays. I wish he gave me one of those pine tree air fresheners.. I miss those
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 AM
leg killa

Well I just bought the damn thing, and its going to be awesome, even if I dont like it, its going to be awesome... because I just paid 700 bucks for the damn thing.. the guy threw in the wiring and the trim, I guess thats standard nowadays. I wish he gave me one of those pine tree air fresheners.. I miss those
even if you dont like it its going to be awesome?LOL
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
NizzmoJoe

Just thought I wwould throw it out there since no one has mentioned it yet. The Pioneer Avic-Z1, Z-2 or Z-3 have all became fairly reasonable now. I have seen several Z-1's in the marketplace from other members for less than $600 and usually including the bluetooth and xm radio adapters. This is a phenominal unit with a built in 30GB HDD and a ton of features. Mine was stolen some time ago and I replaced it with a Kenwood DDX 6019 (doesent even hold a candle to the Z-1 feature wise) and the Kenwood (Garmin) K-510 nav unit. I would kill to trade my Kenwood stuff for another Z1. Its an older deck but still very much worth looking into. It offers hands free calling via bluetooth, it rips all the cd's you insert into it to the built in HDD so you never have to insert them again (just like having an Ipod), XM Radio, Ipod controller, built in Navi that reads directly from the HDD and backup camera functionality. If you look on Ebay under the Best Buy Outlet Store (I have been watching these for a couple months now), you will be able to purchase a Z-3 or Z-3 for right around $450 to $600 and maybe even less if you get lucky. I saw one go for $217.00 but couldnt get logged into Ebay quickly enough to bid before it ended. Good Luck
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM
xNeo

I have the D3, and keep the navigation disk in there at all times. It has full ipod integration, I have an 80gig iPod with Sattelite radio, you'll never need CD's again. I think it was kinda the point. The switching of the two is a little annoying if you don't have an ipod hooked up but how often are you going to be using the navigation?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Here’s my counterpoint…

I use navigation a lot, and I prefer the Kenwood solution (OEM Garmin). In fact I replaced an AVIC with a Kenwood. The reason was a problematic HDD in the Pioneer unit (probably due to the harsh climate I live in).

I like Kenwood navigation because it uses a ROM-based structure (flash drive) for its navigation component. That means no moving parts as you have with DVD players and HDD’s. In addition to its greater reliability (Kenwood navigations devices never fail), a flash drive is much faster than either a DVD or HDD. The AVIC is good at loading pertinent data and application software into RAM for better performance, but the device goes to disk for detours, reroutes, etc.; and then it’s slow.

Notice that almost all the new navigation devices (OEM and aftermarket) are abandoning DVD and HDD, and using flash drives instead. In fact, the newer devices also use iPods and flash drives (via USB) for music as well.

--Spike
Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 AM
gennosuke1

dont mean to jack your thread but does anyone know if tomtom is better or magellan?