Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Voice controlled car PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Voice controlled car PC

When I first tried to install my GPS nav software, it asked about the type of microphone I was using. I knew the software would speak directions, but I had no idea you could give it voice commands. I went out and got a microphone, and thus started my journey.

The GPS software used Microsoft's Voice recognition engine. Once I got it working (not very hard) I did a little research. Microsoft has an SDK for their Voice Recognition and speach to text engines. So I downloaded that and did some reading.

I had already written an MP3 player and a main control "dashboard" using VB. Adding the voice recognition to each was the next logical step. I actualyl combined them into one app, and what I wound up with was a completly voice operated main control screen and MP3 player. I can bring up the nav software by voice, then of course its already voice enabled.

I spent the the best part of the weekend writing the software, and installed and tested in the Z Sunday night. I have yet to road test it, but so far its pretty slick.

I wish I could post pictures, but there really isn't anything to take pictures of. A video might show how it works. If there is any interest I could work on putting one together.

I need to spend time using it to see if its as cool in the real world as it was in my office, but anything will be better than trying to click using a remote control mouse while driving.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:28 PM
chazzg

Great Work Alan!!!! I might just have to buy this from you And make it a option on my PCs. Let me know how it works "in the real world"
Old 07-27-2003, 08:59 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean something like this

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....lady+interface

due out in August (hopefully)
Old 07-27-2003, 09:04 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the more hands free it is, the better, reason number 1 I got the touch screen I definitly dont want to fumble with a keyboard, or mouse while driving. voice activated would be great.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:40 PM
chazzg

Originally posted by alphared

Man i have never seen that thread. Im all over that. the KITT Pic is my new background.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Alang

Originally posted by alphared

Yea, something like that, but a much more plain interface. Initial screen is just the Z sidemarker. MP3 player shows only the visualization. All MP3 functions are voice controoled, but the button controls can be shown or hidden via voice commands. I can bring up nav, owners manual, service manual or web browser via voice, and close any open window.

I just got the basic stuff working. Next I am going to work on making it customizable via a configuration file so I don't have to recompile everytime I want to add or remove something.

Are you taylormacintosh? If so I sent you an email last night about eclipse.exe command line arguments. I want to incorporate the dimming function via voice command into this mess as well. I couldn't get the full setup file to run, so I don't have any help files. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:44 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Alang
Yea, something like that, but a much more plain interface. Initial screen is just the Z sidemarker. MP3 player shows only the visualization. All MP3 functions are voice controoled, but the button controls can be shown or hidden via voice commands. I can bring up nav, owners manual, service manual or web browser via voice, and close any open window.

I just got the basic stuff working. Next I am going to work on making it customizable via a configuration file so I don't have to recompile everytime I want to add or remove something.

Are you taylormacintosh? If so I sent you an email last night about eclipse.exe command line arguments. I want to incorporate the dimming function via voice command into this mess as well. I couldn't get the full setup file to run, so I don't have any help files. Any help would be appreciated.
yup,says so in my signature been having some problems with my email. but, just hit F1 for help file. I've also incorporated that into the interface as well with a timer to automatically dim it when nightfalls and normal when sunrise. One of the only advice I can give is don't try to be too ambitious with voice commands, in the noisey Z (or any other car), the more voice options, the more room for errors. Even with a hundred dollar mic, theres still errors if theres too many commands.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:18 AM
swoobyz

Have you looked in to using Microsoft's Speech.Net SDK?

Pv