Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

No sound from pioneer avh-p4000

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
BlayZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound from pioneer avh-p4000

cliffnotes at bottom

Just had a friend install the pioneer avh-p4000, i've never done any real car audio work and neither is he but he knows and understands how to work with and wire electrical components(atleast for the most part). I have an 03 touring model with the bose system, i got the pac-kit needed to get an after market head unit to work with the stock amp(supposedly). Installed it, there were a few wires on the install kit not used which i assume is normal, and one wire specifically was the mute wire from the piece that goes directly into the back of the headunit. There didn't seem to be a corresponding wire on the other part of the kit but i figured it didn't matter either way, assuming that is for when other things(like navigaition) need to mute the system to give directions etc. Also tried to wire in a relay to bypass the parking brake issue. Using this site as a reference http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...ic=20118&st=15 he decided that we should use a 5 pin relay instead. And we left the reverse signal wire unconnected and pretty much untouched. Upon reinstalling it i'm getting no sound from any of the speakers. Also if i dont touch anything on the screen for more than 5 seconds it changes inputs(or so it seems) and displays on the screen a message similar to "Caution: Image may appear reversed". Which to me sounds like its going to the rear view camera input. With the toggle switch installed i can get it to play DVDs as was expected. But under no circumstances can i get any sound from the speakers. Any ideas on common things that people overlook or mess up? Especially those not very experienced with car audio installs? I also now have a check engine light, will read the codes tomorrow when i can swing it by a shop, no idea what we could have touched that'd set that.

cliffnotes: Just installed pioneer avh-p4000, not getting any sound from speakers on any input, radio, cd, etc. and screen switches to "Caution: Images may appear reveresed" after 6 seconds
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Concave
Banned

i have learned that you should never let a friend work on your car unless your willing to accept problems to come >.< my friend has came so close to messing up my Z... i "suspend' him from working on my car, then give him chances for little stuff... and nope.
i just cant do it. only me and shops can touch my car >.< or i lose more money out of my pocket.

but idk, you taken a look at the wires yourself? search for how to install head units and compare?
Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM
BlayZ

from looking at everything and comparing to installs i've seen online i have no idea what could be wrong, the thing is i dont even really know what i'm looking for, i dont really know which wire specifically sends the audio to the speakers, i was also wondering if theres some sort of way we could haave blown a fuse on the amp causing it to not cut on, but we had the battery disconnected so i dont see how that would happen, and yea i'm about done letting other people work on the car, the guy who worked on it is a great mechanic but car audio obviously isnt his specialty, but after playing around and hitting random buttons i did get it to stop going to the random screen it was going to, just gotta get sound from the speakers now.... wondering how much best buy will charge me to fix the instalation heh....
Old 10-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Concave
Banned

lol, there is no good audio shops around there?
(not a mom-pop shop either, i mean a REAL audio shop with a presentable store, on a main street, made of money, etc)
if not, yea i guess i would try best buy and see what they can do.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 PM
BlayZ

not really many audio shops in the area and most of them are the mom and pop type shops, i'd take it to a high-end audio shop but the pioneer is a pretty basic install, i think its more the fact that we just didnt know what we were doing
Old 10-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Concave
Banned

ha yea, it happens to everyone.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a picture of your wiring job and post it.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
BlayZ

UPDATE: i have not had a chance to get pics of the install yet cause i'm at work but while searching online i've seen a case where the screws in the pac kit adapter had to be turned several full turns to get any sound from them, we did play with them a little bit but only did about 3/4 turn both directions also in a thread on here where someone was hooking up a kenwood headunit somewhere in the thread someone mentioned needing to hook up the blue/white wire that triggers the amp to turn on but the pic posted is a little confusing... so the question is...

has anyone else thats installed the pac kit adapter ran into problems by forgetting to turn the screws? and whats the easiest way to check if the amp is getting power? does it have lights on it like most aftermarket amps? i'm gonna try to pull up the carpet in the rear and check it out anyways but incase anyone reads this before i do any hints would be much appreciated
Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 PM
adamtaylorpcb

the blue/white wire your talking about is probably your remote wire for the amp. i think i have one in the shop, ill look around for it
Old 10-05-2008, 06:00 PM
BlayZ

Yes, the label on the wire is remote something, I wasn't sure if that's literally for a remote or if it remotely sent a signal(like to turn on the amp) I took it apart today to take a couple pics ill load up once I get home, I did notice a solid blue wire from the pac adapter was simply taped off not connecting to anything, any ideas what that wire is supposed to be? The pics I got weren't great cause everything is messy as hell it pretty much only shows the wires that aren't connected to anything. If not the blue and white remote wire, what wire sends power(or the signal for power) to the amp? The more I think about it the more I think that's what it is

Thanks for the responses and feedback everyone, atleast now I can take apart my console and put it back together with ease. I guess one good thing has come out of this pain.

Edited for pics, last two pics are just kinda random pics, one just kinda shows the mess of wires that are crimped and other is the back of the two connectors that go into the pac kit(head unit side)
Attached Thumbnails No sound from pioneer avh-p4000-hu1.gif   No sound from pioneer avh-p4000-hu2.jpg   No sound from pioneer avh-p4000-hu3.jpg   No sound from pioneer avh-p4000-s1050033.jpg   No sound from pioneer avh-p4000-s1050038.jpg  

Last edited by BlayZ; 10-05-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
denverinfiniti

Not sure about the sound issue. But the video bypass is WAY easier than what you guys did. All you needed to do was put a momentary push button switch in line in the e brake wire.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
adamtaylorpcb

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...Vehicles&ID=64

dosnt look like you need the blue wire

run the remote wire to the amp and that should fix your problem

just run it out in the open to see if it works before you go through all the trouble and hide the wire
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
BlayZ

Originally Posted by denverinfiniti
Not sure about the sound issue. But the video bypass is WAY easier than what you guys did. All you needed to do was put a momentary push button switch in line in the e brake wire.
haha yea, it was kinda a mid installation switch up, we were trying to do the relay cause anotehr forum had said you could just use a relay instead of having a switch, so actually after we put the relay on he added a seperate toggle switch also.... yea its a mess! i have the pac tr-7 timed relay on order and just gonna put that in so i have no buttons or anything to push

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...Vehicles&ID=64

dosnt look like you need the blue wire

run the remote wire to the amp and that should fix your problem

just run it out in the open to see if it works before you go through all the trouble and hide the wire

woot thanks, got it all figured out and fixed, thats exactly what it was, finally had him bring up the instructions that came with and it figured out it was that remote turn on wire, he had originally just cut the wire real short and tucked it in the part where he taped around pac kit, so even when we were originally looking for what was wrong we never even saw the wire, ran power to it, amp kicked right on, problem solved, thanks for all the help everyone