Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Best DVD HU for cubby LCD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 06:52 AM
o2sys

Default Best DVD HU for cubby LCD?

I currently have a Farenheit 7" LCD installed in to my cubby and i am using a JVC DV-KD5100:

This HU is a bit boring because the LCD only gets signal when i watch a DVD or playing a CD. When i have the radio on it doesn't send a signal to the LCD so i get the bright blue screen that kills my eyes.

I would like a single DIN HU that has a video out option but displays more screens that the JVC.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2008 | 05:51 AM
o2sys

anyone?
Old 10-21-2008 | 06:03 PM
Spike100

You might consider installing a Kenwood KOS Controller. That would be a fairly expensive solution, but it makes sense in your case since you are considering replacing the H/U.

The KOS Controller allows you to keep your JVS H/U, and also provides a scalable update path for future CES additions. You will have redundancy if you install a KOS Controller since the KOS device has a built-in radio. You will also need an adapter to send video display to your Farenheit 7" LCD since you won’t want the expense of adding the KOS 7” touch-screen monitor. Basically, you keep what you have (the KOS Controller will treat your current H/U as an OEM H/U). Since your Farenheit screen does not support touch-screen function, you must use the KOS handheld IR controller with this setup.

And…

If you don’t like the above mentioned solution (it is a moderately complicated installation when integrating your non-Kenwood LCD with KOS), consider adding a Garmin GVN 53 black box navigation unit. This will work great with your Farenheit 7" LCD (great display).

Your Farenheit screen does not support touch-screen function, but you can run the screen and your Garmin device using the Garmin’s RF handheld controller. RF handeld controllers are nice because you do not need to point the controller at an IR eye.

Even if your preference is not GPS function, you can use the instrument screen (digital speedometer, compass, trip calculator, and more) in the Garmin black-box device. It’s a large display with a great computer that shows as an instrument panel on your Farneheit screen. I use it all the time and find it very helpful.

--Spike
Old 10-22-2008 | 05:14 AM
o2sys

Originally Posted by Spike100
You might consider installing a Kenwood KOS Controller. That would be a fairly expensive solution, but it makes sense in your case since you are considering replacing the H/U.

The KOS Controller allows you to keep your JVS H/U, and also provides a scalable update path for future CES additions. You will have redundancy if you install a KOS Controller since the KOS device has a built-in radio. You will also need an adapter to send video display to your Farenheit 7" LCD since you won’t want the expense of adding the KOS 7” touch-screen monitor. Basically, you keep what you have (the KOS Controller will treat your current H/U as an OEM H/U). Since your Farenheit screen does not support touch-screen function, you must use the KOS handheld IR controller with this setup.

And…

If you don’t like the above mentioned solution (it is a moderately complicated installation when integrating your non-Kenwood LCD with KOS), consider adding a Garmin GVN 53 black box navigation unit. This will work great with your Farenheit 7" LCD (great display).

Your Farenheit screen does not support touch-screen function, but you can run the screen and your Garmin device using the Garmin’s RF handheld controller. RF handeld controllers are nice because you do not need to point the controller at an IR eye.

Even if your preference is not GPS function, you can use the instrument screen (digital speedometer, compass, trip calculator, and more) in the Garmin black-box device. It’s a large display with a great computer that shows as an instrument panel on your Farneheit screen. I use it all the time and find it very helpful.

--Spike
thank you very much for your reply, im looking into the Kenwood KOS systems...i also found a pioneer device that displays gauges of the cars performance and status....
Old 10-22-2008 | 03:39 PM
Spike100

The Pioneer device that shows a faux analog instrument display is a double-din device. It converts digital information to an analog-like display. It’s very cool… the analog graphics are exceptional, and it allows some amount of customization (e.g., instrument selection, background and colors, etc.). It’s a very good unit.

The caveat in your case (you said: “I would like a single DIN HU that has a video out option but displays more screens that the JVC.”) is the Pioneer device is an “all-in-one” double-din device with its own LCD screen, and I don’t believe you can send its video output (at least the “analog” instrument representation) to a remote LCD (your Farenheit in this case).

--Spike
Old 10-23-2008 | 05:37 AM
o2sys

Since i cant seem to find an answer for a single DIN unit that diplays more screens, i was just considering the pioneer unit. Its called AVG-VDP1. It would be an add-on to my JVC unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...nents/AVG-VDP1

But this VDP1 cant be standalone and requires a Pioneer HU?

Last edited by o2sys; 10-23-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-23-2008 | 05:23 PM
Spike100

^^ This unit is designed to work with a range of Pioneer touch-screen LCD/devices. Pioneer's website has the listing.

It does not appear to be compatible with your Farenheit screen.

--Spike
Old 10-24-2008 | 10:00 PM
burner

Have the same monitor installed, along with a Pioneer double din head unit. I drilled a hole in my dash so that I could turn off the monitor when not in use. After awhile I installed a Garmin black box standalone nav unit so its on all the time on the upper screen.
Old 10-27-2008 | 01:11 PM
o2sys

i ordered a remote control which i was missing since i bought the HU used. Its suppose to control more features within the HU so let me see how it goes from there.

Garmin black box is in my wish list for now....