Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Looking to install an LCD in front cubby - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
SamH
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to install an LCD in front cubby - NEED HELP!

I want to install a DVD/Navigation player inside my front cubby and basically fill it with an LCD. I don't even know where to start?? Can anyone help?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Sam,

You can fit a Double-Din device inside the Z’s DD space. You cannot fit a DD device inside the upper forward cubby (where Nissan places the Z’s navigation screen). If you want to fit a screen in the upper/forward cubby, you are limited to just that (a LCD screen). Of course you can do this, as many others have already done.

I would suggest dedicating an hour or two to searches with keywords: “upper/forward cubby”, “LCD screen”, “navigation”, “KOS”, “Farenheit” (notice the deliberate misspelling), “Power Accoustik” (again notice the deliberate misspelling... probably a few misspellings on this one), and whatever these keywords uncover for you.

The answers are all here, on this sub-forum, but it will take some amount of effort to gather the information.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-11-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 AM
markcearley

Looks like you already have the 03 cubby, (cubby of choice). All you need is the screen. After much research I went with the Lilliput HR 701-NP. This is a very bright, LED Backlit TFT Monitor. Apparently this is a "special" LED backlit version that mp3car.com sells. BTW kudos to their service. 4 screws take the case apart. Remove screen, remove circuit board. Sandwich them to each other with insulator between the two boards of electronics and mount in cubby hole. Take note that hot glue apparently softens at tempertures seen in a closed parked z in Ga. Use something else.
Good Luck
Its Worth Doing
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
SamH
Banned

Hey Bro, looked on that site for the model you specified and couldn't find anything. Could u shoot me over the link for it? thx
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
markcearley

They have it listed as "New 2008 Lilliput 629 7" VGA Touchscreen 629GL-70NP LED Backlight" $299. I've included a pic showing the install. Note I cut the control button panel out of the front frame and mounted separately on the cubby finisher piece. When mounting the circuit board, I oriented it just as it is in the original design but just used a thin piece of cardboard to insulate it from the back of the screen. Due to how the cable dongle connects to this board, the board needs to be mounted as far to the right as possible to allow the dongle to clear the dash opening that the cubby mounts into. Also used black tape to mask right and left edges of front of screen because lit portion was just slightly smaller than cubby opening. A few drops of epoxy hold everything in place. The screen has auto off when no input is detected so I supplied constant 12v (with key off) the same as the car pc. No worries about leaving screen on and draining battery. As a side note, I was having problems with the stock Nissan battery draining with inverter, etc. Put in the Optima Yellow Top Battery. It is sooooo
much better. Tested for 4 hours the other day with pc and screen on,stereo on (car off) still had plenty of juice for starting. New replacement Nissan was only lasting about 45min.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to install an LCD in front cubby - NEED HELP!-lilliput.jpg  

Last edited by markcearley; 07-15-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
SamH
Banned

thanks again for the info bro.. again i'm very new at this and don't know anything about it... Do i have to purchase something else for it to play DVD's and to get GPS?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
SamH
Banned

Allright, well I've done some extensive reading on these... and there's a TON I don't know about. I thought u could just fit a DVD/Nav player behind the LCD. Guess not... looks like I'm going to have to build a mini-PC to do all this. Luckily I work in sales for computer hardware so I can get it all whole sale.. However.... I don't know what needs to go into this from Start to Finish. Basically.. I want a LCD screen that has a DVD/Navigation Player on it ... that's all... if anyone can provide step by steps.. or walk me through it I'd be greatful... (might even toss u some cash )
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Sam,

Read these threads (if you haven’t already):

1. Farenheit Install: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/129715-farenheit-installation.html

2. Kenwood LZ-702W Install: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/261207-new-installed-ddx8019-w-lz702w-touchscreen.html

3. Kenwood KOS Install: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/330407-double-din-h-uis-multiple-monitors-and-navigation-pics-here.html

You have the 2003 Z, which has the upper/forward cubby providing the easiest installation for an LCD monitor. #1 contains specific instructions for installing a monitor in the upper/forward cubby in your 2003 car.

Thread #2 shows how to install the exceptionally sharp Kenwood LZ-702W LCD monitor in the upper/forward cubby, and connect its hideaway box to various devices (e.g., navigation, DVD player, etc.).

Thread #3 is a discussion of the Kenwood KOS system, which is a scalable and advanced CES structure that allows operation of the entire system using the KOS-L702 touch-screen monitor.

Read these threads, and if you have addtional questions, ask here.

--Spike
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
SamH
Banned

Thumbs up

thx again bro!!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike100

^^ No problem. Instead of an answer, I gave you a lot of homework. Check the threads I mention, and then ask away.

There are three distinct ways to accomplish what you want to do (going from easy and cheap to more complex and more expensive). It definitely doesn't require the complexity of a CarPC (unless you want this).

--Spike
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
SamH
Banned

Thumbs up

Well I actually appreciate the homework. I enjoy learning about **** like this man.. it's a whole new world to me. I'm just glad that I've got some ppl willing to help me out on this. As far as installations, I think I might actually go the car PC route. I am in sales for a computer hardware distributor so I get pretty much everything you can think of for wholesale. Basically it's factory refurbished parts at ebay prices. If you guys ever need any kind of computer hardware, just let me know. I can get some hella good deals. I was looking at what it would cost me to build a car PC, and for the machine itself... it would cost around 300-350. Anyways... thanks again for all the info.. I'm sure I'll be bugging you again shortly
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Spike100

^^ My first attempt with replacing the Z’s CES was a CarPC, but it was a failure for several reasons.

The Z (with its many cubbys) provides a great environment for a CarPC. That structure was more than enough to tempt me. But, installing a CarPC proved to be very expensive, unreliable, and mostly a lot of effort to get a second-rate CES and a poor workstation on my network.

Simply laying my Sony notebook computer on the passenger seat provides more function for less money. That experience really chilled me as to CarPC’s.

--Spike
Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 AM
bluezup

seriously.. pc in a 2 seater car? it might sound cool and all, and just the hype of having a pc in your car is great i guess, but think about if you would need it in the long run. is it worth it buying all those pc stuff and then paying for installation? are you gonna actually use it alot?
like spike said, you save hella lot more money with a laptop and car charger..
but not talking sh!@#t or anything, i have almost the same setup just without the pc, and truthfully, i sometimes regret spending all that money on a navi because its so rarely used(im good with directions)
before you make your move just think everything over and dont regret it. you can enjoy your car the same without a pc in there.
IMO, i repeat imo, use that money on a more simple and cheaper setup like mines or anyone else here and use the rest of the money you save for some mods under the hood or something. atleast thats something you will always use and enjoy when ever you get behind the wheel.

but if you are rich then just forget what i said =]

Last edited by bluezup; 07-17-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 AM
GhostridetheG

Originally Posted by bluezup
i sometimes regret spending all that money on a navi because its so rarely used(im good with directions)
I didn't get Navi in my G35 because i couldn't justify the premium on something I could buy for a few hundred bucks. I definitely respect all the work that goes into doing these custom PC installs because they look awesome, but I personally don't have the patience to do it. I also like being able to update my Tele Atlas maps for my TomTom on the regular. Anyone with a custom install have any issues on updating?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM
kmg3773

As for a car pc, there are many that you can buy. I have drivesoft in my car, Im not sure if you know what it is or if you have heard of it. Its like a double din unit, but it runs windows. So it has all the same features as a laptop, but it is a double din unit. All the main functions of a regular unit(kenwood, alpine, pioneer) are there, such as radio, navigation, satellite radio, hd radio, etc.. If you need more information on it just look at www.drivesoft.net..
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 AM
bluezup

Originally Posted by GhostridetheG
I didn't get Navi in my G35 because i couldn't justify the premium on something I could buy for a few hundred bucks. I definitely respect all the work that goes into doing these custom PC installs because they look awesome, but I personally don't have the patience to do it. I also like being able to update my Tele Atlas maps for my TomTom on the regular. Anyone with a custom install have any issues on updating?
Well I haven't updated my navi yet, but as far as I know, u just download the updated software from kenwood (its what I have) and upload it to a sd chip and stick it in ur navi box and it will automaticly read it and that's it..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
GhostridetheG

Originally Posted by bluezup
Well I haven't updated my navi yet, but as far as I know, u just download the updated software from kenwood (its what I have) and upload it to a sd chip and stick it in ur navi box and it will automaticly read it and that's it..
From what I've read the Kenwood units use mapping by Garmin, but it's good that you have the options of switching mapping software with the SD card. How are your maps working so far? I've used both NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas before and I give it to the latter for accuracy
Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Spike100

^^ The differences between NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas are shrinking… and quickly as the major software/hardware companies licensing the maps demand access to both databases to provide less costly solutions with better accuracy. Licensing has changed all of this as the companies court one another in buyouts to gain some advantage.

What it comes down to: There's no clear advantage on the database.

--Spike
Old 10-28-2008, 07:35 AM
GhostridetheG

Originally Posted by Spike100
Licensing has changed all of this as the companies court one another in buyouts to gain some advantage.
You make a good point here. Look at the recent TomTom acquisition of Tele Atlas for example. Google just switched entirely to Tele Atlas also. Before you know it, the platforms will just be one big mashup, but IMO that's a benefit of all these agreements and mergers.