Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Recommended Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
AdvanZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Navigation?

What's the reccomended aftermarket navigation out there for the 350z.

I bought one recently without a navi and I really don't like the empty container so I'd like to fill it with something flashy.

What do other Z users out there have? What's reccomended...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanZed
What's the reccomended aftermarket navigation out there for the 350z.

I bought one recently without a navi and I really don't like the empty container so I'd like to fill it with something flashy.

What do other Z users out there have? What's reccomended...
Hi,

The first decision you must make is whether you want your GPS display in the double-din slot or as a remote screen in the upper/forward cubby.

Double-Din Installation
If you want to use the Z’s double-din slot, your best choice is an “all-in-one” DD unit that contains the GPS, radio, CD/DVD player, USB connector, iPod connector, rearview camera connector (and connections for any other remote A/V devices).

The advantage of this setup is its easy installation.

The disadvantage is a poor viewing angle while navigating with the GPS. And, if any part of the “all-in-one” fails, the entire unit requires repair or replacement. You cannot easily repair or upgrade a single feature/piece (e.g., the GPS, iPod connector, etc.) of an “all-in-one” device without doing a complete replacement of the entire device.

Remote Screen in the Upper/Forward Cubby
This is the ideal position for viewing a GPS screen while navigating. That’s why Nissan places the OEM navigation screen in the upper/forward cubby.

There is another advantage when using separate components. You can update/replace individual devices without sacrificing your entire investment.

Addition Considerations
  • There are three ways to store data and application software on the GPS device: 1) DVD players, 2) HDD’s, and 3) flash drives (ROM-based).

• DVD players and HDD’s are mechanical devices that are prone to failure. Flash drives are solid state devices with no moving parts and are therefore more reliable and much faster.

• There are two major mapping database companies, NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas. If you’re in North America, NAVTEQ maps might be slightly better, and Tele Atlas has the advantage in Europe and Asia.

You should search here (Audio & Video forum, and it’s sub-forum, Audio Builds) for more information. A couple of useful threads:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...uchscreen.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...pics-here.html

After you search and research (please spend some effort doing this), and if you have additional questions, ask away.

Hope this helps,

--Spike
Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Black Spider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike to the rescue, as usual