Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How do I get rid of this noise????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 05:06 AM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get rid of this noise????

Hello all! I recently dropped $1200 at my local audio shop to upgrade my Bose system. I essentially swapped out all the Bose speakers and the Bose amp. In return I added two Eclipse amps (PA 5222 and PA 3222). The system sounds good except for two items. First...there is a humming-type noise coming from all speakers regardless if the radio is on or off. The audio installer says this is something I have to live with. I don't buy it!!! The sound was initially worse, so I brought it in to be fixed. At that time, they simply turned the gain down, but that caused me to lose significant volume. Not happy. So my question is...can this humming noise be fixed?

Second question- My left front channel tends to dominate the sound stage. Anyway to change this without changing the balance.

Thanks for you help!
Old 10-05-2003, 05:04 PM
grutter

What did the installer use to interface the Bose HU with the new amps? The Bose HU uses a differential output. I used an AudioLink interface and have no noise, amazing sound quality. The problem with the Bose system is the poor quality speakers and amps. Use the right interface and you should have no problem. Attached is pic of the AudioLink interface I mounted in my touring. Mounted behind radio with velcro.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails How do I get rid of this noise????-350z-audio-install-31.640x480.jpg  
Old 10-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Encore

Time to find a different installer. You should have no noise. Noise can be hell to get out, but for them to tell you to live with it is BS. I would tell them to fix it or return your money.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:43 PM
lascala26

Thanks for the help fellas! How much does AudioLink interface cost? I won't be doing business with this installer again. ...and they consider themselves "high-end". WTF?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:45 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're picking up em noise (the rca cables must be close to a power line/source) a simple fix is to use a ground loop isolator between the HU and the Amp. or just turn down the gain on the amp till the hum is gone (which the shop already done). I would go back to the shop and demand to know what the wiring path are, I bet the power cable feeding the amp are close the the HU rca cables.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:21 PM
bastard

You might also want to check that the RCA cables are plugged all the way in. They'll hum sometimes if they're barely connected.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:26 PM
PropaGanda

I have a base model and I upgraded my rear speakers only so far. I am getting a component set later for the front. Anyways, I now have a humming sound from my new rear speakers regardless of if the system is on or not. Everything else is stock except for those. They are Pioneer 6 1/2 4 ways. Why is it making this noise. It literally gives me a headache it is so overbearing sometimes. Thanks in advance...
Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
sicilianoNYC

engine noise, and what the hell are you doin with 4 ways in the rear, thats ridiculous./....at most id put a 2 way in the rear and 3 way in front or a boston or focal component set....im jus running a pair of boston $400 component set upo front and disconnected the rears, im running em with a 4 channel amp bridged....ive showed a few friends with z's and they all have aftermarket systems, none of their highs and mids sound EVEN close to as nice as mine
Old 10-07-2003, 12:03 PM
PropaGanda

Because, as I stated before, I only upgraded the rears for now. I just put the fade at a +2 towards the front to compensate for the rear overpowerment. Still sounds great. Way better than a stock system and even better than some peoples aftermarket systems and all I have upgraded is the rears. Why wouldn't you want to put a 4 way in the rear? I have had no problems with it or sound quality besides the hum. Soon, I am upgrading to an MB Quartz component set front and rear with a 10" sub of some sort. BTW, engine noise as the culprit for the hum is impossible because they hum when the engine is off but the key is still in.