Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

focal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focal replacement?

Hey guys,
I have a set of focal 165kp components up front. One of the midrange speakers has failed, and I've decided that I'm going to replace the midrange drivers on both sides and keep the focal crossover and tweeters (in an attempt to save some $$$$). Apparently, no one sells the focal midrange drivers without the complete component set.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand/model of midrange drivers I should go with? Preferably some that are going to work with the focal crossovers/tweeters and sound comparable to the original focal drivers?

thanks guys
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 AM
duro78

why didnt you just fix them assuming your the same guy that posted a few days ago. but anyway if your just tryiing to replace the mids your gonna run into the same problem as with the focals it will just be cheaper to buy an entire component set.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 AM
ss350

There is nothing to fix. The passenger side midrange is blown. I tried to repair it, but I couldn't. So my options are..
1)buy new set of components
2)replace the individual focal midrange driver
3) replace both midrange drivers

I'm trying to avoid option 1. Option 2 is not possible. So I'm left with option 3.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Reading your first thread it sounded as though there was a broken wire.
Originally Posted by ss350
Hey Guys,
I have a set of focal 165kp components up front. Recently one of the midrange speakers failed. The wire from the lead terminal to the voice coil was severed. I am quite diasspointed after what I payed for these things.

So Im stuck with perfectly good 2 tweeters, 2 components, and 1 midrange. What do you think my best option is? Can I just replace the midrange speakers with a different brand or model? If i buy a new set of components, can I use the focal tweeters and crossovers (the tweeters are installed in the factory location witch I have drilled out)? What do you think?

thanks
Your new thread provides more information that is different from your first thread.
Hey guys,
I have a set of focal 165kp components up front. One of the midrange speakers has failed, and I've decided that I'm going to replace the midrange drivers on both sides and keep the focal crossover and tweeters (in an attempt to save some $$$$). Apparently, no one sells the focal midrange drivers without the complete component set.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand/model of midrange drivers I should go with? Preferably some that are going to work with the focal crossovers/tweeters and sound comparable to the original focal drivers?

thanks guys
There is nothing to fix. The passenger side midrange is blown. I tried to repair it, but I couldn't. So my options are..
1)buy new set of components
2)replace the individual focal midrange driver
3) replace both midrange drivers

I'm trying to avoid option 1. Option 2 is not possible. So I'm left with option 3.
Focal speakers are high quality components. Speakers in this class are designed so that you can accomplish a repair when a wire connection, seal, cone, etc. fails.

If you lack the expertise to do a speaker repair yourself, you can send the damaged component to a service that can fix the damaged part(s) and return your speaker to factory specs.

I think that will provide a better solution than your request for a substitute midrange.

--Spike
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
StreetOC192

Did you contact Focal about acquiring a replacement?

Or try to get as much info about the focal mids that you can find (model number and specs). Call customer service at Madisound (http://madisound.com/) and ask them if they can suggest a comparable replacement.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
ss350

I contacted focal about a replacement, but this model is discontinued.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ OK... So no replacement from the manufacturer...

Next step is "Google" for repair services.

--Spike
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
ss350

anyone who can contribute something related to my original question would be very helpful

thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 AM
StreetOC192

anyone who can contribute something related to my original question would be very helpful
What about the 2nd part of my post above?
Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Or try to get as much info about the focal mids that you can find (model number and specs). Call customer service at Madisound (http://madisound.com/) and ask them if they can suggest a comparable replacement.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Davidspeciale

Default Replacing focal

Hey guys,

thanks guys
What someone should have told you is that replacement parts are available. Currently the k powers are out of stock and have been, however, there are polyglass mids available and I checked, they will pair up nicely with the crossover and tweeters. Woofersetc. Is the website. Enjoy!