Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Head Unit Decision: Alpine X305s? Pioneer 8200?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Decision: Alpine X305s? Pioneer 8200?

The head unit will be the first part of the audio system I upgrade, with component speakers and an amp coming next.

Does anyone have the X305s and have opinions on it? If not, what else is recommended from some of you that already have upgraded?

Im looking for a head unit in the $250-$350 range, and need the head unit to be very ipod friendly. The couple Ive found that im considering are

Pioneer 8200bt
Alpine X305s
Kenwood KIV-700

I dont think a big fancy DVD playing double din touch screen will be necessary, but any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Boog

Last edited by Boogshag; 08-03-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM
arsey51

I would recommend any of the Kenwood double dins - depending on your requirements, if you want navigation, blue tooth, etc. Take a look at their website or on Crutchfield. I have the older DDX514 with a Kenwood amp and it sounds great with my FOCAL components. Good luck choosing your new sounds.

Last edited by arsey51; 08-03-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You have obviously done the research since your list includes the best H/U’s. I also prefer single-din H/U’s for their better features, the fact they are scalable, and they are the best value.

I would eliminate the Pioneer MVH-P8200BT, and choose between either the Alpine X305s or the Kenwood KIV-700. You cannot go wrong with either of these units.

I’m looking at the Kenwood KIV-700 and the Kenwood KIV-BT900.

--Spike
Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Spike100
You have obviously done the research since your list includes the best H/U’s. I also prefer single-din H/U’s for their better features, the fact they are scalable, and they are the best value.

I would eliminate the Pioneer MVH-P8200BT, and choose between either the Alpine X305s or the Kenwood KIV-700. You cannot go wrong with either of these units.

I’m looking at the Kenwood KIV-700 and the Kenwood KIV-BT900.

--Spike
Thanks for the compliment So why did you say eliminate the Pioneer? And is the only difference between the 2 kenwoods the bluetooth built into the Kenwood KIV-BT900?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike100

You earn more respect with each of your posts.
Originally Posted by Boogshag
Thanks for the compliment So why did you say eliminate the Pioneer? And is the only difference between the 2 kenwoods the bluetooth built into the Kenwood KIV-BT900?
I took Pioneer out of the running because of the poor consumer reviews. Of course consumer reviews are not always reliable, but there are just too many complaints to ignore.

As to the Kenwood KIV-700 and the Kenwood KIV-BT900… Yes, you are perceptive and correct. I was looking at built-in BT support. However, there is a distinct advantage staying with a modular build. I will probably get the Kenwood KIV-700 for this reason. If there is an improvement in BT, the Kenwood KIV-700 will easily accommodate this without sacrificing the H/U. But then again, you cannot ignore the seamless operation of an integrated component (the Kenwood KIV-BT900 wins here).

I should also mention that the Alpine X305s is a great digital H/U.

--Spike
Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Boogshag

Spike-

After doing more research, I think ive settled on the Kenwood KIV-700. Compared to the Alpine, it has a larger screen, video playback, built in memory (512 mb), just as friendly of an interface, better RMS output, and a couple more things im forgetting (a remote etc etc.). And I despise phone calls, though bluetooth would be a convenient option. I just dont think its necessary for me for the added cost. Im gonna run by best buy once im off work and use them to see their kenwood on display.

Im still not absolutely positive on my decision yet, but its getting closer and closer to it..
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Spike100

Wow! You are doing much more and better research than what I’ve done… to the point that I will probably go with what you decide upon.

I’m starting to think Kenwood KIV-700 as well (for the reasons you mention). I prefer modular components because of the better options for future upgrades.

I really like Alpine for the great design-esthetic appearance, and its novel features.

I like Kenwood for its better software (in the digital H/U’s), continuous and useful software updates, and Kenwood’s reputation for durability (Kenwood makes the most reliable H/U’s… they rarely “breaK” and continue operating flawlessly in the hostile environment of a car’s interior).

When you make you r decision, please post back to this/your thread with a review.

Subscribing…

--Spike
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Spike100
Wow! You are doing much more and better research than what I’ve done… to the point that I will probably go with what you decide upon.

I’m starting to think Kenwood KIV-700 as well (for the reasons you mention). I prefer modular components because of the better options for future upgrades.

I really like Alpine for the great design-esthetic appearance, and its novel features.

I like Kenwood for its better software (in the digital H/U’s), continuous and useful software updates, and Kenwood’s reputation for durability (Kenwood makes the most reliable H/U’s… they rarely “breaK” and continue operating flawlessly in the hostile environment of a car’s interior).

When you make you r decision, please post back to this/your thread with a review.

Subscribing…

--Spike
Thats good to know, I havent looked into the software updates and things like that much. Spike, working together, you and I make a pretty good team I tried out the Alpine x305s last night and was very happy with its functionality. It was a walk in the park controlling my ipod and navigating through the menus etc. It feels really well put together too, solid. Sadly, they didnt have the kenwood on display, but im stopping by a different audio store today to check it out. I SHOULD be able to make a decision between the 2 by tonight. Ill keep you posted.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Boogshag

Well, Spike, I made my decision and purchase! I got to experiment with the Kenwood 700 today. It had longer loading times, a less friendly to navigate (but not too bad) interface/menus, and was all around just not as smooth running as the Alpine. It felt cheaper too. For example, the **** on the kenwood feels light and cheap, but the Alpine one has resistance and is beefy and controlling. Although the Kenwood edges out the Alpine on paper with its specs and features, I had to go with feel and ease of use, and the Alpine just felt way more user friendly and better built. I put in my order for it and the wiring harness and din setup stuff. I should be receiving all of it the middle of next week, and will have it installed early the next week. Let me know what you end up doing, ill be interested to find out! Good luck buddy

Boog
Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Spike100

If there is a “best” feature in Kenwood products, it is the rock-solid application software.

I cannot offer the same compliment for Alpine. For example, see this message:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...ech-issue.html

I’m going to help this guy work through the problem to its solution (and maybe it’s just a hardware issue), but if it’s not the antenna, it’s a software problem. In any event, it’s easily fixable.

--Spike
Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Boogshag

My alpine unit shouldnt be as complicated, as it doesnt have nav or bluetooth or anything like that. I have a 1 year warranty and I figure if something will be faulty, it will probably go wrong within the 1st year. At this point, all I can do is hope for the best! I just couldnt choose the Kenwood over the Alpine. It was slower, not as visually pleasing, and not quite as easy to navigate through menus and lists. Ill update you how the install goes and stuff once I receive the goods.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
orgasm_donor

I ordered in two Pioneer 8200's and it took me two months to sell them. Since that time I have sold cases and cases of the JVC KD-AR815 which is an amazing deck for price, features, warranty and ease-of-use. I prefer Pioneer for sound quality personally but for the average guy, the JVC's are walking all over everything at a much lower cost. Yes, I know it does not have an Ipod video display.

I sold my Kenwood 993 last week. It was pretty good for Ipod control but man it was a pain to set-up and operate. I don't think I could do Kenwood again.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor
I ordered in two Pioneer 8200's and it took me two months to sell them. Since that time I have sold cases and cases of the JVC KD-AR815 which is an amazing deck for price, features, warranty and ease-of-use. I prefer Pioneer for sound quality personally but for the average guy, the JVC's are walking all over everything at a much lower cost. Yes, I know it does not have an Ipod video display.

I sold my Kenwood 993 last week. It was pretty good for Ipod control but man it was a pain to set-up and operate. I don't think I could do Kenwood again.
thanks for the input. do you have any opinions on alpine head units?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Boogshag
thanks for the input. do you have any opinions on alpine head units?
Well, I usually don't like to slag any brands at all but if I were to...it'd be Alpine. The last good Alpine deck I had was the CDA-9835 back in 2004. Since then, in my opinion, Alpine has sucked Donkey *********. We don't carry Alpine but we do install it all the time. From an installer's standpoint, Alpine is pretty horrible to install - especially if you are adding bluetooth, Sat radio or Navigation (in regards to screens of course). Add-ons from Alpine usually work about 60% of the time. The other 40% they either have hang-ups, don't work at all or work in a diminished capacity. VERY unreliable.

The single din decks have been a little better than the double dins as long as you aren't adding anything (as mentioned). Alpine tech support and local support is pretty bad too. Although I do feel sorry for our local Alpine rep because his job has been a lot harder these days.

Sorry for the long-winded rant.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Boogshag

haha, hopefully i have better luck than you have. I just purchased the alpine x305s. Its single din, and im not adding any of that special jazz to it. Im gonna do the install on my own, as im pretty good with car stuff. Ill keep the thread updated with the progress