Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need some help planning my audio build from the experts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
sfergy13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help planning my audio build from the experts

Hey guys my stock audio system is getting worse by the day. Everything fades in and out, so I am going to start upgrading. I listen to mainly rock and hip hop. Some other info is that I want to keep the sub and amp as compact as possible to maintain the small amount of space I have. I have a budget of around 750 maybe a little more. I want quality, but I am not going to be entering it in any audio events.

Here is what I was thinking:

Front components:
Image Dynamics CTX65CS or Alpine SPR-60C- Any advice they are the same price?

I would most likely remove the rear speakers.

Subwoofer:
JBL MS-10SD2 or Infinity Kappa 100.9W or Polk Audio SR104-DVC
Any recommendations? I'm not interested in rattling my car, just want some nice clean sounding bass.

Amp:

I really have no idea. What would be best a 3-channel amp? 2 for the front components and one for the sub. Any advice would be appreciated.

I will likely rewire the speakers with better gauge wire, and also build a custom box.

Any help or experiance would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM
sfergy13

I forgot to mention I will be replacing the stock headunit. Not sure what kind, but I have had some experiance with double dins, so I'm not worried about it. THe only thing I am unsure of is the components that I will hook up to it.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM
gvulakh

Your budget for a full audio build is a little light even if you buy most of the stuff used.

I would start with the head unit and the Image Dynamics seperates. After that it does not leave you with much for a sub, amp, wires, fuses, and installation(not sure if you're doing the full install).

My advice would be to research on car audio forums and check out their marketplaces to see what people are using.

The Z is almost useless for hauling anything so I wouldn't bother worrying about trying to salvage any cargo space. Check out the under-the-strutbar enclosures. I bought mine on ebay from SRQ(similar to zenclosure). It is relatively light, easily removable, and looks pretty good. I can get it out of the car in about 1-2 minutes.

As for amps I like Alpine's PDX series. I'm running a PDX 1.600 on a Alpine Type R 10". Not earth shattering but enough for me. I also have a cheaper Alpine 50x4(MRP F300) running my front components(Polk/MOMO). If you want one amp to run it all Alpine has a 5 channel PDX.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
sfergy13

Thanks for the advice... I'll check out the alpine amps. I have seen those enclosures, and i like them but I will probably build my own. I'll also do the install which should save on cost.

Why would I need a 5 channel amp? Do you bridge two of the channels into one component speaker?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM
gvulakh

Originally Posted by sfergy13
Thanks for the advice... I'll check out the alpine amps. I have seen those enclosures, and i like them but I will probably build my own. I'll also do the install which should save on cost.

Why would I need a 5 channel amp? Do you bridge two of the channels into one component speaker?
I have an active set up. My head unit has crossovers built in for the tweeters, mids, and lows. So I don't have to use the passive crossovers that came with my component set and each channel of my 50wattsx4 channel amp is dedicated to it's own speaker. So each tweeter gets 50watts and each mid gets 50watts.......

Now you could bridge 2 channels into each component set but make sure they can handle the power. You don't want to blow your tweeters. Some component sets are bi-ampable which means 2 sets of inputs on the passive crossover as well as two sets of outputs.

I hope I'm making sense here. I learn a lot from www.bcae1.com
Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
sfergy13

How do you know if a h/u has built in crossovers? I'm leaning towards a pioneer AVH-P3300BT,

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P3300BT.html

I want to stay away from clarion and kenwood since i had bad experiances with both of them. Do you think this is a descent h/u? Everything I have read says its good for the price.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
sfergy13

Also, does anyone have experiance with RE Audio? More specifically: RE Audio SEX10D4.
The reviews are really good...I have just never heard of them
Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
gvulakh

Most head units made today are not "active". But most do have a subwoofer crossover built in. I have an 8 year old Alpine 9833. It was around $500 when new in 2003. It looks plain compared to head units of today but is the best I have ever owned regarding sound quality and adjustability.(ebay $87 shipped) This is after about 10 head unit changes over 3 years in my Z.(Jensen, Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood, Alpine)

With all that being said the unit you're looking at should suit you just fine. I like Pioneer head units but I like Alpine a little better. If you like that Pioneer go for it.

*Install Tip* When you wire up your head unit make sure to hook up your power antenna wire from harness to head unit power antenna wire. Why? We don't have a power antenna but we have an antenna amplifier that needs to get connected for good FM reception.

As far as RE Audio. Personally never heard or used them but I see them being used a lot on car audio forums and see them for sale on craigslist. Although I have read that they are now built in China. FI car audio comes highly reccommended from a lot of serious audio buffs. They are affordable, good quality, and certain models can handle tons of power. I suggest you visit their website.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by gvulakh
Your budget for a full audio build is a little light even if you buy most of the stuff used.

I would start with the head unit and the Image Dynamics seperates. After that it does not leave you with much for a sub, amp, wires, fuses, and installation(not sure if you're doing the full install).

My advice would be to research on car audio forums and check out their marketplaces to see what people are using.

The Z is almost useless for hauling anything so I wouldn't bother worrying about trying to salvage any cargo space. Check out the under-the-strutbar enclosures. I bought mine on ebay from SRQ(similar to zenclosure). It is relatively light, easily removable, and looks pretty good. I can get it out of the car in about 1-2 minutes.

As for amps I like Alpine's PDX series. I'm running a PDX 1.600 on a Alpine Type R 10". Not earth shattering but enough for me. I also have a cheaper Alpine 50x4(MRP F300) running my front components(Polk/MOMO). If you want one amp to run it all Alpine has a 5 channel PDX.
i agree fully w the above comments.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Looch

I have nearly the same exact stuff.

i have type r components in the front
kappa 100.9 (absolutely love)
alpine f300 for the components
alpine m500 for the sub
Built my own understrut box, did the whole install

I think i was in the 900-1000 range and i already had a headunit.
I agree with the PDX 5 channel though. if i did it again I would have done that.

Other than that I would definitely recommend all of the stuff i listed above
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
sfergy13

Thanks for the advice. THe only thing im still confused on is if i get components do most of them have a built in tweeter or will I need to get a set of tweeters? If i get tweeters should i relocate them...I have read about alot of people aiming them differently.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
sfergy13

Scoluccio...Are you happy you put rear components in? I'm still debating it...it would def help my budget if i just bypassed the rears all together.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
gvulakh

Component SETS come with tweeters. Stock locations are not the best. If you have the time, money, and skill I would suggest a different location. It depends on what you really want out of your system.

Search for 16psibrick's posts. He is a top notch installer that has done many sound quality set ups in Z's, G's, and others. Most of his installs are sound quality oriented with a stealth look. Check out his website, has galleries full of installs that he has done.http://simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/
Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The setup for component speakers (2/way-midrange and tweeter) is a tweeter you mount separately and distinctly from the midrange.

When mounting tweeters in the Nissan Z, there are four common positions:

1. Sail Panel (the stock position for the Z’s tweeter, but probably the worst position).

2. High-up on the door panel (OK but not great).

3. Kick setup (OK if you can direct the tweeter to the driver and passenger, which is not easily accomplished).

4. A-Pillar mounting (probably providing the best sound)

--Spike

Thanks for the advice. THe only thing im still confused on is if i get components do most of them have a built in tweeter or will I need to get a set of tweeters? If i get tweeters should i relocate them...I have read about alot of people aiming them differently.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Looch

Scoluccio...Are you happy you put rear components in? I'm still debating it...it would def help my budget if i just bypassed the rears all together.
Sorry if you misunderstood, but I do not have rear components. Just one set up front with the amp bridged sending 150watts to each. As far as the tweeter location the A-pillar seemed like something I would have screwed up so I put it in the stock location and set it to something like -3db or so. As it is maybe not ideal, I think my set up is perfect for what I was looking for. I have never sat in a professionally set up audio system but from all of the systems I have heard, I like mine best.

Oh and don't forget to forget to get spacers for your front components