Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Installing a double din stereo in the Nav spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM
DenverRand

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing a double din stereo in the Nav spot

New 350z owner here and wanted to see what issues people have come across installing a double din stereo in the compartment where the nav system usually is.

My Z has the Bose CD/tape/radio combo installed in the lower part of the dash and doesn't have a nav system.

I want to install the Pioneer AppRadio 2 (a double din system) in the place the nav system normally would be and take out the factory radio and put some sort of filler compartment in its place.

I talked to a stereo store yesterday and they said they'd have to custom make a mount if I wanted to install something in the place where the nav unit usually is.

Anyone have any advice/suggestions?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Installing a double din stereo in the Nav spot-stereo.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You cannot install a double-din device in the stock navigation screen slot. Even if you create a custom mount, the upper forward cubby does not have adequate depth. It would protrude too far and look awful.

The upper forward cubby works well for an LCD screen --Spike
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM
DenverRand

Spike - thanks, I appreciate the response.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM
donj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam I was thinking of doing the same
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Mostly members that ask this question want to keep the stock radio look but you are actually going to take the radio out. so why not install the double din in the stock location and leave the already "filler compartment" up there?
a radio install guy will do whatever you tell them to without regards to how it is going to end up looking. they work for money

Originally Posted by DenverRand
New 350z owner here and wanted to see what issues people have come across installing a double din stereo in the compartment where the nav system usually is.

My Z has the Bose CD/tape/radio combo installed in the lower part of the dash and doesn't have a nav system.

I want to install the Pioneer AppRadio 2 (a double din system) in the place the nav system normally would be and take out the factory radio and put some sort of filler compartment in its place.I talked to a stereo store yesterday and they said they'd have to custom make a mount if I wanted to install something in the place where the nav unit usually is.

Anyone have any advice/suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by beezee; 02-05-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just install it in the stock location. You will definitely have to cut a lot to get it to fit up there. It is slightly shallower then most double dins due to the fact it doesn't have a dvd/cd slot.

Here's mine installed in the stock location App-radio
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
DenverRand

Well, the main reason I wanted to install the Pioneer AppRadio 2 in the compartment where the stock navigation usually is placed is because I wanted to be able to close the door over the stereo to hide it since the faceplate/screen on the AppRadio 2 isn’t detachable (at least not that I’m aware of). The other reason is that it would put it at a better eye level in that upper position rather than having it down in the stock position.

I’m set on the AppRadio 2 as my choice to install in the car. I’m going to meet with an audio shop here in Denver that does a lot of custom work and see what they think they might be able to do to put it in the upper compartment with the door and still have it look good (if it can be done).
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can install a screen where that cubby is? But if you were upgrading stereo, why would you want to keep the stock radio?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

good luck. let us know how it turns out and how much it costs you.

Originally Posted by DenverRand
Well, the main reason I wanted to install the Pioneer AppRadio 2 in the compartment where the stock navigation usually is placed is because I wanted to be able to close the door over the stereo to hide it since the faceplate/screen on the AppRadio 2 isn’t detachable (at least not that I’m aware of). The other reason is that it would put it at a better eye level in that upper position rather than having it down in the stock position.

I’m set on the AppRadio 2 as my choice to install in the car. I’m going to meet with an audio shop here in Denver that does a lot of custom work and see what they think they might be able to do to put it in the upper compartment with the door and still have it look good (if it can be done).
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM
JohnG202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the App radio 2 a few months ago. Looks like a stock item so I wouldn't worry about it getting stolen. If you leave the door on to cover up the radio, won't it get annoying having the door above the "nav"?
I use the cubby for my ipod/droid hookups. I need to put a mount for my ipod and droid in this winter so come spring it'll be all set to go.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
DenverRand

"Deteria" - I don't want to keep the stock radio. I'm getting rid of it and installing a Pioneer AppRadio 2, but don't want to install it in the place the stock radio is currently placed.

"JohnG202" - yeah, I see what you mean. I guess this whole exercise is kind of pointless now that I really think about it because of the way the door is when it's open. I guess I'd still like to try to get the new AppRadio 2 installed in the place where the "cubby" is, but will forget about having a door to cover it. Wasn't thinking straight.