Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help w/Basslink: Where to tap for Power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:47 AM
newmexicoZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/Basslink: Where to tap for Power?

Hey guys, quick Noob question. Are there any good 12V power wires that i can tap into in the back pannel area of the Z. I need enough juice to power a Basslink. My initial thought was the Cigarette lighter, but I was wondering if there are any other sources I could use, especially around the back-side pannels where I am going to tap into the rear speakers. Are there any other strong enough power wires to tap into (in the back area) to power an amp? Are most people just running power from the HU or the engine compartment ? (I really don't want to take the dash appart for the basslink install). Also, for those with the Basslink mounted in the trunk, how did you mount/secure the actual basslink mounting brackets? (drilling, velcro, etc). Any info/advice/feedback welcome. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:00 AM
JeepRage

Default Re: Help w/Basslink: Where to tap for Power?

I installed mine last night. I ran to the battery for power, nothing will come close to heavy enough to tap from in the rear of the car. Mounting wise, I used one hole with a washer to mount the back corner leg to the top, and drilled 2 new holes for the front 2 leg mounts. First nothing was drilling through the sheet metal, used a new drill bit and it was instant. I only used three screws/bolts, but its not rattling. Don't mount on the floor, gas tank is under there.

Pics are on the bottom:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeeprage
Old 03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
newmexicoZ33

How about using the 12V source in back for the connection to the ignition? The radar detector I have plugged in to it only comes on when the radio comes on (when the key is turned), so it should work right? Also, anyone else with a Basslink, can you let me know if you just ran power from the battery or if you found any other way to do it. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:50 PM
JeepRage

Originally posted by newmexicoZ33
How about using the 12V source in back for the connection to the ignition? The radar detector I have plugged in to it only comes on when the radio comes on (when the key is turned), so it should work right? Also, anyone else with a Basslink, can you let me know if you just ran power from the battery or if you found any other way to do it. Thanks!
You should be fine using that for your switched source, I tapped from the stock subwoofer power wire. For the main source, you really should run to the battery to be on the safe side and to give the amp the power it needs.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:59 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Amp runs up to 200W, at least a 10 gauge fused cable from the battery would be highly recommended.

As far as mounting, I plan on pulling the basslink out often for track events so I used a short bungee cable attached to two of the trunk net attachment links to hold it in place. Works perfectly -- doesn't move an inch under the wildest cornering.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
PainProphet

how much does the basslink weigh? I didn't see it on any of the sites I visited.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:20 AM
broohaha

I'll add to the noob question:

Tapping into the battery sounds simple enough, but exactly how do you run the wires? Are there any DIY threads on this? Does the baselink come with a fuse of somesort?
Old 05-17-2004, 10:44 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there's a hole into the firewall right behind the battery ... you just have to cut a little slit in the rubber grommet back there and feed the wire through. It'll come in behind the passenger side kick panel..

then, I would run the wire along the passenger side door sills.. pulling panels and running it under the carpeting until I got the the rear glove box area, pull those panels and run it across to the area behind the driver seat..

The remote turn on lead I would connect to the rear cig lighter..All that is easy as pie to me..

Which wires to tap the speaker outputs on the head unit? now that's the question I want to know..

--mike
Old 05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..after 45 min of searching, I found my answer!

On the wiring harness at the back of the non-bose radio here are the speaker pinouts..

LF:
White+
Blk-

RF:
Grn+
Red-

LR:
Brown+
Blk/Red-

RR:
Pink-
Blue+

So now, I'll just tap the 4 speakers at the radio and run it down the center console to the basslink in back of the car.. Sorry, donlt know about the Bose radio..

--mike