Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Question about amp install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about amp install

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to install two amps and had 2 questions I hope someone can help with.

1. I was looking at the positive battery terminal. On my previous cars I've simply bought a terminal with outputs for 2/4 guage and a couple 8 guage - and hooked the factory wire to that and my amp wire all in one positive terminal.

The z's terminal is a little different... it looks like it has a lot going on! I'm not sure an aftermarket terminal would work as well. It does look like there's one post available after you lift off the red plastic cover. Should I hook a 0/1 guage to that post and then just run to a distribution block?

2. Where's the easiest spot to run through the firewall into the cabin?

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Chris
Old 03-31-2004, 08:47 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about amp install

Originally posted by ckny
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to install two amps and had 2 questions I hope someone can help with.

1. I was looking at the positive battery terminal. On my previous cars I've simply bought a terminal with outputs for 2/4 guage and a couple 8 guage - and hooked the factory wire to that and my amp wire all in one positive terminal.

The z's terminal is a little different... it looks like it has a lot going on! I'm not sure an aftermarket terminal would work as well. It does look like there's one post available after you lift off the red plastic cover. Should I hook a 0/1 guage to that post and then just run to a distribution block?

Yes it does have a lot going on. I used 4 gauge and ran off the open terminal but if I had ran 0 gauge I'd personally have ran it straight off the battery terminal.

2. Where's the easiest spot to run through the firewall into the cabin?

I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Chris
I ran through the ecu harness which is almost above the battery. Easy to get to, easy to find under the dash, and plenty of room.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:53 AM
zachcrosen

ckny, there is a huge rubber grommet type thing behind the battery. This is where all of the wiring enters the vehicle. I cut a small x in this and ran a 4 ga power wire through it. There is a detailed instruction on how to do this. I think it is probably under the "how to" section.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:17 AM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

to answer your second question: Here is the How To
Old 03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
ckny

thanks for posting the how to!

now about running wire straight from the terminal, what do you think is the best way to do this? should i get a new terminal? what about the existing wires... like i said, it's not just one or two wires off there... there's quite a few!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:32 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

All you have to do for the terminal is to loosen it and put the amp power wire on the side where you loosened it. Your wire should have a crimped U or 0 shaped ending which would allow it to stay in place. After that, just tighten everything up. I had to cut part of the plastic protector in order to close the battery compartment up. The protector wouldnt close after I installed my amp wire.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Dissident

I was thinking about using that second post myself, but there is a little "120 Amp" marking on the entire terminal, and IO am wondering if that part is after some fuse already? anyone know? I'd love to use it, since it would be the most convinient way to run my wire, and look stock. Anyone else done this?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Th3Cleaner

Originally posted by zachcrosen
ckny, there is a huge rubber grommet type thing behind the battery. This is where all of the wiring enters the vehicle. I cut a small x in this and ran a 4 ga power wire through it. There is a detailed instruction on how to do this. I think it is probably under the "how to" section.
I also purchased a 8-g Amp wiring kit and made a small hole in the same location, then pulled off the carper trim, side panel for feet, and ran the wire back into the glove compartment where I installed the amp.

I was sure to put the fuse as close to the battery as possible and mounted in the battery compartment. That fuse is extremly important due to if that amp wire ever touches metal it will start a fire. Be safe.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Dissident

The 2 guage was a PITA to run through the gromet! I fished it through with a ziptie taped to smaller wired taped to the 2 AWG wire..... Lcuky for us Nissan lef thte nice cable tray to run the power wire back to the glovebox with....