Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

replacing/upgrading tweeters, need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 06:48 PM
myz8a4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing/upgrading tweeters, need help

i was wanting to get a bit more highs out of my factory bose system so i was tthinking of replacing the tweeters in the upper door housing. who has done this & what is involved. sould i mount the tweeters into the plastic suround piece so i can use a tweeter that swivels? i would like to have tweeters pointing more towards the driver/passenger area. or if i could replace the tweeters & install the new ones in the factory location w/o loosing any of the highs i would be up for this as well......i wanted to hear from those who have done it & what results they got.
thanx,
-justin
Old 08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
motown

Well, if you've got the Bose system, I believe it's all or nothing. IE, you can't just replace one part because their system is proprietary. I think those speakers run on like 32 ohms vs. normal systems running on 4 ohm speakers. Result is that you'd never even hear a speaker you wired into that system. Maybe somebody else knows more than I, but this is what I know. It's OK, you're better off gutting that Blose out of your car anyway. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:08 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by motown
Well, if you've got the Bose system, I believe it's all or nothing. IE, you can't just replace one part because their system is proprietary. I think those speakers run on like 32 ohms vs. normal systems running on 4 ohm speakers. Result is that you'd never even hear a speaker you wired into that system. Maybe somebody else knows more than I, but this is what I know. It's OK, you're better off gutting that Blose out of your car anyway. Good luck!
Unless you took the speaker wire that is going to your tweeter and amplified it. You need an amp that has a balanced line input and has the ability to take hi-low signal in. Like the JL amps. This process is a length process may not be worth it.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:13 PM
myz8a4re

i remember having problems with my 300zxtt with the bose system in it. i ended up replacing everything as well as adding a sub. i didnt want to go that route this time with this car. i honestly like my bose system with in dash 6 disc changer. very convenient & pretty decent quality sound IMO. a little more highs to & it would perfect for my needs. all my extra funds are being spent on performance mods & then body mods so a new system isnt in my future.........

i thought i remember somone here repalcing some of the bose speakers for upgrades while retaining the factory bose head unit......

i appreciate your response!

-justin
Old 08-31-2004, 01:21 PM
myz8a4re

you responded just before me so i didnt read your reply untill after i had posted...........im confused on this since the speakers are amplified. isnt it true that the head unit puts out no wattage but runs to an amp wich powers all the speakers? so wouldnt i then be amplifying an amplified signal? would this be possible? if that is the case you are correct it wouldnt be worth it, adding an amp for tweeters alone would be a waste to me........unless of course i ran a component setup with the door speakers & tweeters, hmmmm......
thanx for the response!

-justin
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
motown

I'll differ to Nazar in this case. He's the pro here. My experience is with other Bose systems, like the one from your 300. Guess they've resolved that problem for the 350. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Nazar
Banned

I didn't mean to create a confusion. What I am saying is Tweeter can be amplified by a nother amp. Yes this would be amplifying after a nother amp. But by using the balanced line input via the Hi-Level input of the amp you would be using the stock amp as feed only. This is by no means an effective way of doing things, Nor is it clean. However if all you want to do is get a little more hi frequencies. It is definitely "A" way of doing it. Ofcourse you would need an amp like JL slash series.

Basicaly what you would do is connect your positive and negative lead from the tweeter to the input of the JL amp. You would have to make an RCA cable to be able to use the Rca inputs, select the Hi-Level input selection on the amp. And re-run your new wires to the new tweeter.

Weather it would be worth it ??? Well If all you want to do is upgrade the tweeter and nothing else... Yes. I worn you though next thing will be your bass.

... No highs No lows must be "____"

I know you did not ask me, However if you do ask my opinion, Get an aftermarket head unit and upgrade the speakers, maybe a nice Sub setup. You can get all this for under $1000 without rear speakers. And I mean real decent components. just my .02 cents
Old 08-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Nazar
Banned

Originally posted by myz8a4re
if that is the case you are correct it wouldnt be worth it, adding an amp for tweeters alone would be a waste to me........unless of course i ran a component setup with the door speakers & tweeters, hmmmm......
thanx for the response!

-justin
Justin,

It sounds to me like you are allready on your way talking yourself into a system. LOL

That might not work, you may need a 4 channel amp. And in that case you might as well do it all.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
myz8a4re

Hehe, I hear ya.........I'm almost done performance wise & still have much funds needed for my body kit so I'm just trying to find a way to suffice with the stock stereo in the meantime.....

Actually the only thing keeping the high frequency from sounding a tad better is the placement of the tweeters. They're hidden behind those plastic surrounds with only a small perferated plastic circle to allow sound through. Then they are facing towrd the center of the car much too far in front of the driver/pass head area. If the stock tweeter were out of the housing & adjusted to point more back toward the passenger/driver it would be great. Think a custom mount to pull the tweeters out of the stock location & point them at a 120* angle back more(with a custom cover since the tweeters are awful looking) would be within reach? Mabey an angled base to mount on the outside of the plastic surround exposing the tweeter for better high fequency potential? I ask cuase when I have my stereo playing & open the doors 1/2 way the tweeters are now facing my head & the whole sound changes, much crisper sound. This is what gave me the idea to pull them out and angle them.........

New question! How do I remove the plastic bose tweeter surround piece to access the tweeter?

I really appreciate all the help!!
-justin
Old 10-15-2005, 11:58 PM
350ztoronto

any tweeter recommendations? and is it hard to install? they look rather easy to install but also easy to break =(