Notices

DIY: 06+ Base with Cruise Control using Uprev + OEM Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM
jes1888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ian99rt
All physical hardware is plug and play. To get the cruise control light you have to swap clusters with a cruise enabled car's cluster. The gauges clusters microcontroller are flashed with a different ROM depending on model. If switching you need to cover / removrd the tcs led as it will light up.

What about the audio controls? Is there the harness that goes from the steering wheel to behind the radio, so i just need the audio controls and the pac stuff to get the audio controls to work or do i need to do some hard wiring? i didnt understood your last sentence. My car doesnt has tcs system.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
BrandonSS

I dont even own a base and I read the whole thread... read the thread and your questions will be answered.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jes1888
What about the audio controls? Is there the harness that goes from the steering wheel to behind the radio, so i just need the audio controls and the pac stuff to get the audio controls to work or do i need to do some hard wiring? i didnt understood your last sentence. My car doesnt has tcs system.
If you purchase the audio controls tethered with the cruise control switches, it's just a plug and play situation inside the wheel. It's all one harness. Keep in mind the audio controls will only work with the stock headunit. If you have an aftermarket one, there may be several other steps involved in order to keep the switches working correctly.

You're not going to have a light indicator at all. End of story. Unless you want to purchase another cluster and go through the trouble of messing with your miles and what not. Others have done this though, so it isn't impossible
Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
jes1888

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
I dont even own a base and I read the whole thread... read the thread and your questions will be answered.
I cant believe how people waste time writing something here that doesnt help instead of writing something useful just like depravity did. U dont know the situation the people are in when they ask something here in any kind of forums, nor you know the reason, and then everybody complains about the situation this world is right now...

Originally Posted by Depravity
If you purchase the audio controls tethered with the cruise control switches, it's just a plug and play situation inside the wheel. It's all one harness. Keep in mind the audio controls will only work with the stock headunit. If you have an aftermarket one, there may be several other steps involved in order to keep the switches working correctly.

You're not going to have a light indicator at all. End of story. Unless you want to purchase another cluster and go through the trouble of messing with your miles and what not. Others have done this though, so it isn't impossible
1st of all, thank you for your answer,

2nd: about the audio controls: The plug n' play situation would also be true on the dash behind headunit? Also the other steps involved with an aftermarket radio would be to buy a pac module or similar and hard wire it right? I've done that before to my 2008 altima coupe it wasnt that hard. So if that what it takes, i'll do it, those controls are pretty convenient for me.

3rd: Hasn't no one tried to wire something somehow to the buzzer of the car? i mean the beep that we hear when we open the door or when we put the ignition on "ON" position?? You know one beep for preset map 1, 2 beeps for preset 2 and so on? That would be extremely useful, and all of us have that beeping thing in all our cars, so i think that would be more universal than buying a cluster with the function and then program the miles on it dont you guys think? Or if so any other way, i dont know, example the low fuel warning light to blink also, or the shift indicator light too? Technically, posibilities are endless. Isnt there a way to program this functions to any other light on the car?

Last edited by jes1888; 04-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a metra audio control adapter that was very easy to wire in to my pioneer deck.

Short of reverse engineering nissans CANBUS netwwork, swapping clusters is your only option for rom selection feedback. The ecu does not throw a pin high or low to flash the cruise light, it communicates over CAN to the cluster and the clusters processor flashes the LED.

I cant believe how people waste time writing something here that doesnt help instead of writing something useful just like depravity did. U dont know the situation the people are in when they ask something here in any kind of forums, nor you know the reason, and then everybody complains about the situation this world is right now...

1st of all, thank you for your answer,

2nd: about the audio controls: The plug n' play situation would also be true on the dash behind headunit? Also the other steps involved with an aftermarket radio would be to buy a pac module or similar and hard wire it right? I've done that before to my 2008 altima coupe it wasnt that hard. So if that what it takes, i'll do it, those controls are pretty convenient for me.

3rd: Hasn't no one tried to wire something somehow to the buzzer of the car? i mean the beep that we hear when we open the door or when we put the ignition on "ON" position?? You know one beep for preset map 1, 2 beeps for preset 2 and so on? That would be extremely useful, and all of us have that beeping thing in all our cars, so i think that would be more universal than buying a cluster with the function and then program the miles on it dont you guys think? Or if so any other way, i dont know, example the low fuel warning light to blink also, or the shift indicator light too? Technically, posibilities are endless. Isnt there a way to program this functions to any other light on the car?

Last edited by ian99rt; 04-11-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
jes1888

Originally Posted by ian99rt
I used a metra audio control adapter that was very easy to wire in to my pioneer deck.

Short of reverse engineering nissans CANBUS netwwork, swapping clusters is your only option for rom selection feedback. The ecu does not throw a pin high or low to flash the cruise light, it communicates over CAN to the cluster and the clusters processor flashes the LED.
Good to know, thank you! If i do this, i wont change the cluster for now. Map switching would still work, but without the led feedback right?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
jes1888

ian, about your blue led's, did you desolder the oem amber ones and soldered these ones? Or the leds on cluster are just plugged in?

Also, if the 2006 has technically a complete harness, do any of you guys think that i can put on my base car the rearview mirror of a higher end model? I want the homelink stuff cuz i hate extra beepers hanging on my sun visor and also the auto dimming, is it possible?? Also, would this be true for the seats, to put electrically adjusted ones instead of the manual ones?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Depravity

Good to know, thank you! If i do this, i wont change the cluster for now. Map switching would still work, but without the led feedback right?
Correct. I switch maps with no LED feedback - I would just make sure you write down what your maps are like #1 ..., #2..., etc
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

Wow, super stoked about all the information and details in this thread. About 1.5 years ago I was actually trying to do research on getting this done. Everything ended at dead ends and I sadly gave up on being able to use multiple tuning profiles with my Uprev flash .

Anyway, I've read through these posts twice because I'm that excited!!!

Parts list...check
Uprev Flash...check (Already had a tune done, shouldn't be a problem to update)

Here's my question:

1)If you purchased 25550-CF40A (steering wheel control bundle), do these have the back-lit LEDs on them and do they work on any model/year 350Z?

Explanation:
I have a 2006 BASE with the factory CD player/radio head unit....NOT THE BOSE(can't even install an iPhone/iPod adapter on it). So I want to make sure that not only will these audio controls work, but that the back lights work to. I noticed this P/N is designed for the 2007-2009 350Zs. If the audio controls are useless in my case, then I would rather just order the older separate cruise control panel ONLY.

2)I noticed the prices on courtesyparts.com are a bit higher than say nissanpartswarehouse.com. Has everyone been happy with their orders through courtesy? Is their shipping fast and reliable? If someone knows of a solid parts warehouse in CA that carries these components, please shout it out.

Again, many many thanks to those who researched this and came up with a viable workable solution.

Almost forgot, last question:

Has anyone determined whether or not removing the TCS LED on the gauge cluster will cause a catastrophic failure of the other components? Taping over it isn't my style and I'm very handy with a soldering iron. Has anyone checked the resistance on this circuit with a volt/ohms meter to find out if the LEDs are in series or parallel? I'm thinking maybe soldering in a resistor in place of the LED so that other components don't get over volted. Yes, I am OCD with my Z

Last edited by icer5160; 04-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Depravity

Looks like we share the Z OCD

I went with the 25550-Z33005 bundle, and they do indeed light up. I'm not quite sure if the 25550-CF40A do, but i'd imagine they do. It won't matter what model you have, but i'm guessing year doesn't either.

Audio controls should work, they did on my 2007 base. I don't see why they wouldn't. I haven't had any issues with courtesyparts.com, they tend to ship quickly.. but if you're using PayPal I see no reason to worry.

I wouldn't trust myself tampering with a gauge cluster so I can't answer your last question. Others will chime in though!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 PM
jes1888

so they do light up normally when you turn on the lights as everything else?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Depravity

so they do light up normally when you turn on the lights as everything else?
Correct
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait, your cruise lights work without modification to them?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
1)If you purchased 25550-CF40A (steering wheel control bundle), do these have the back-lit LEDs on them and do they work on any model/year 350Z?
Yes, The 25550-CF40A will light up. Have them in my 05 and worked just fine after adding more wires to the spiral cable.

But it will be plug and play for you since you have 06 and they come pre-wired.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM
icer5160

Excellent, thanks for the quick feedback Gents! That makes it so much easier for me to decide which control panel to order. Now, I just need to find a replacement cluster.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Depravity

Originally Posted by The_Laughing_Man
Wait, your cruise lights work without modification to them?
The switches on the steering wheel itself light up
Old 04-27-2013, 04:40 AM
ian99rt

Excellent, thanks for the quick feedback Gents! That makes it so much easier for me to decide which control panel to order. Now, I just need to find a replacement cluster.
I believe you are on the right track with the switches.

As far as the TCS led I would not suggest pulling the led itself. I could not solidly follow the pcb traces to know if removal will cause issues.

I simply placed a drop of black plastidip (2 coats) over the LED and it's completly blocked out.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Depravity
The switches on the steering wheel itself light up
Oh ok, gotcha.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
icer5160

Thanks for the info Ian. I'm not familiar with this plasti dip stuff. Could one of you point me to a place I can purchase it and of course read up on what's involved when using it. I'm assuming its something like those 2-part paints for brake calipers, etc that leave an epoxy like finish.
-Icer
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
ian99rt

Thanks for the info Ian. I'm not familiar with this plasti dip stuff. Could one of you point me to a place I can purchase it and of course read up on what's involved when using it. I'm assuming its something like those 2-part paints for brake calipers, etc that leave an epoxy like finish.
-Icer
Home depot or Lowes will have it. Its simply a solvent based rubber coating that comes in a liquid can or spray paint style. Its become very popular recently for putting black matte finishes on emblems and rims.

Quick Reply: DIY: 06+ Base with Cruise Control using Uprev + OEM Parts