Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Speed Trials USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Jewelz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Trials USA

Anyone done an event with them? Looking for opinions as to whether this is worthwhile.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Nealoc187

Yes, it is.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:08 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Willow Springs Speed Trial

Last weekend I ran 'Big Willow' with Speed Trials. Basically, had no problems with the way the event was organized or run. However, a major crash (in my group) injured two participants (driver and passenger in a RSX) and highlighted some issues.

The driver of the RSX missed his turn-in for T9, got sideways and went off, flipping 3X at the exit to the turn. Of course, the red flag went out and the session cancelled. It took awhile (20-30 minutes) to get the ambulance(s) and paramedics to the scene as both the driver and passenger were injured and trapped inside the car.

I'm used to running SCCA events where a ambulance, paramedics and safety equipment are ready to roll on a moment's notice. This doesn't appear to be a requirement of Speed Trials (or perhaps other similar events). Luckily, we last heard that both victims got out with "only" fractures arms and assorted injuries.

SCCA (major medical) insurance is also part of the entry fee and will helps cover what your own health insurance will not. As I understand it, the RSX driver (and passenger) will have to use their own coverage to help them through this.

Speed Trials didn't do anything wrong; all the drivers were called in for a second drivers' meeting after the incident. The organizers also chose to put in two chicanes before T9 (made up of cones) to help guide racers to the correct line and turn-in point for this high-speed turn. The cost of a Speed Trials event is lower than a typical SCCA race entry. My point is: you get what you paid for- even if you don't always see it (and hopefully you NEVER have to see either the ambulance or tow truck)!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:18 PM
JimH

Default Kalamazoo

Nealoc, I was born and spent my early years in Kalamazoo. I am leaving for a 6-7 week road trip in my Z in a week and one of the places I am going to visit is Kalamazoo. I plan on being in MI. around the first week of May. Maybe We can hook up when I come thru. Are there other 350's on the board from Kalamazoo? I'll try to PM you when I am headed that way. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Yes, it is.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:42 PM
350zZz

If you dont mind me asking how much did the event cost??
I'm am very interested in participating. Thank you for any info.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:31 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally posted by 350zZz
If you dont mind me asking how much did the event cost??
I'm am very interested in participating. Thank you for any info.
Entry fee was $130 for Willow Springs. Check their website as costs vary depending on the track.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:38 PM
Nealoc187

Default Re: Kalamazoo

Originally posted by JimH
Nealoc, I was born and spent my early years in Kalamazoo. I am leaving for a 6-7 week road trip in my Z in a week and one of the places I am going to visit is Kalamazoo. I plan on being in MI. around the first week of May. Maybe We can hook up when I come thru. Are there other 350's on the board from Kalamazoo? I'll try to PM you when I am headed that way. Regards, Jim
I've only seen like 2 Z's in the whole city, let alone any from this board. There's a guy on the board from Grand Rapids I noticed, his name is Vlad I believe. I myself don't have a Z, I've got a Maxima. Maybe we could head out to the track, one day or something, I will try to convince BriGuyZ to come (he's from this board but lives in chicago, a good friend of mine).
Old 03-31-2003, 08:19 PM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Kalamazoo

Nealoc, Okay, a track day sounds good to me. I'll try to pm you a few days before i get over there. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I've only seen like 2 Z's in the whole city, let alone any from this board. There's a guy on the board from Grand Rapids I noticed, his name is Vlad I believe. I myself don't have a Z, I've got a Maxima. Maybe we could head out to the track, one day or something, I will try to convince BriGuyZ to come (he's from this board but lives in chicago, a good friend of mine).
Old 04-08-2003, 06:52 PM
speedtrialbrian

Default Re: Kalamazoo

Originally posted by JimH
Are you going to try and come out to our event at GingerMan Raceway in beautiful South Haven April 19?

Brian.