Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Proposed SCCA BS/CS Merger

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
tomsn16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed SCCA BS/CS Merger

As others have indicated,we think the merger is NOT good idea.We think BS is a healthy class. With the return of the MR2T and the potential of the 370Z the class should have above average diversity and participation is currently strong compared to CS.....for 2007/2008 total National Events( Tours/Nats/Pros/Finale) participation was BS=338 and CS=250. CS may need some participation help but NOT BS. If the merge happens odds are strong that the RX8 and 350/370Z's will be obsoleted and total participation will take a big hit.
Our letter to the SEB will suggest leaving BS as is and find other ways to improve CS all based on participation.
IF YOU AGREE on leaving BS as it is let the SEB know...NOW. Email seb@scca.com
Jim and Carter T.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 PM
JohnnyHT

I was reading about this in the notes...
Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 PM
DriveI65

Awww, come on Jim, you just don't want to get a Miata.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it do any good for individuals like us just to email them and tell them we are against it, without any argument to back it up?

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 03-31-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Davidb

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Does it do any good for individuals like us just to email them and tell them we are against it, without any argument to back it up?
I just did with small facts from previous national events...Email them, whats the worst that can happen? The more emails the better, right?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidb
I just did with small facts from previous national events...Email them, whats the worst that can happen? The more emails the better, right?
It appears we may be out numbered. The majority of members on SCCAForums that have commented seem to be for the decision.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DmanG281
It appears we may be out numbered. The majority of members on SCCAForums that have commented seem to be for the decision.
Well they may bother to post or debate on the forum, but they don't often write in to the SEB. I sent my email in opposing the merger since it can only help our position.

My motivation is largely selfish; I don't fit in Miatas and Solstices. Even though I want to own one, I just can't, since I can barely sit in one. I have to use the side of my foot for the clutch or my knee hits the back of the steering wheel - with the clutch all the way in. Same with the brake.

That's no way to drive, and completely useless for a DD which has to make long trips a couple times a year.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Peak350

So your concern is that the Miata's and Solstices will be faster than the Z (etc.) and make it harder to compete correct?

Sorry, new to the whole classification thing, but if they are faster why are they in CS now?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I sent my letter in voicing my opposition to the merger over a month ago.

CS is faster than BS right now because the CS cars are smaller, so they don't have to slow down as much to fit through tight elements, and a narrower car in a slalom means that you don't have to turn as much.

The extreme example is the difference between a Corvette and a Kart. Karts are basically "flat" through a slalom, while the Corvette -- which has significantly more power -- has to "pick" its way through.

Classing has nothing to do with cars being faster the closer you get to AS (and SS), it has more to do with the type and purpose of the car(s) in the class. SS is the "big boys" -- purpose-built factory sports cars, CS is the open-top "British-like" sports cars, DS was the "factory tuner car" class, ES is "cheap stock," FS is the (V8) pony cars.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM
tomsn16

Originally Posted by DriveI65
Awww, come on Jim, you just don't want to get a Miata.
You guessed it Mike.....no interest in a Miata. The RX8 is close enough.If the merger happens Carter and I are going to build an SSM RX7
Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Chiketkd

Originally Posted by tomsn16
You guessed it Mike.....no interest in a Miata. The RX8 is close enough.If the merger happens Carter and I are going to build an SSM RX7
While that would be cool to see why not try an SM RX-8? Drop a turbocharged 13B-REW from an FD into the RX-8 and go hog wild!!!

Best of luck to you and Carter!

-Chike
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
tomsn16

Hey Chike...yea we considered the RX8 for SSM but concluded that the RX7 is the best choice on a cost/performace basis....don't think we could get an 8 light enough.This just a contingency plan,we hope BS stays as is.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer

CS is faster than BS right now because the CS cars are smaller, so they don't have to slow down as much to fit through tight elements, and a narrower car in a slalom means that you don't have to turn as much.

The extreme example is the difference between a Corvette and a Kart. Karts are basically "flat" through a slalom, while the Corvette -- which has significantly more power -- has to "pick" its way through.

Classing has nothing to do with cars being faster the closer you get to AS (and SS), it has more to do with the type and purpose of the car(s) in the class. SS is the "big boys" -- purpose-built factory sports cars, CS is the open-top "British-like" sports cars, DS was the "factory tuner car" class, ES is "cheap stock," FS is the (V8) pony cars.
Thanks, I never could quite figure it out and it makes more sense now. for not making fun of my noobyness.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Just emailed mine to them.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
tomsn16

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer

Very well stated PDX and thanks for sending the letter.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

There is nothing to fear in miatas. I've been running against a supercharged miata for 2 years in SM2, who's drivers have more exp than me, and it's been close.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Chiketkd

Originally Posted by davids
There is nothing to fear in miatas. I've been running against a supercharged miata for 2 years in SM2, who's drivers have more exp than me, and it's been close.
We're not talking about a regular miata - we're talking about a hard-to-find, single model year, MX-5 MS-R ('07). It has much stiffer springs than the regular version.

The RX-8/350Z/MR2-T/968 are too softly sprung in stock form to compete.