Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Homemade Splitter Design and Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Homemade Splitter Design and Mounting

I'm in the process of making a splitter to go with my nismo V2. I was hoping for some help along the way to make sure I'm going about it in an ok manner. And it may be a reference for future guys to show the best mounting methods down the road.

My progress.

Pulled the car up on the lift on top of some oak plywood as a template. Back up 4" and I've established the outline.
Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 3318
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0253-1.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  98.2 KB

So the template is underway
Name:  IMG_03022.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  64.8 KB

and I picked up some 6mm alupanel as the real deal
Name:  IMG_0303.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  65.6 KB

To make sure the template was symmetrical I got some paper and traced the outline. I then folded it down the middle to make sure it was the same left to right since the oak template was based on a free hand tracing.
Name:  IMG_0304.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  78.2 KB

I haven't trimmed the oak symmetrical yet. And I may not bother. Save that for the alupanel sheet.
Name:  IMG_0306.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  69.4 KB

I'm starting to think about mounting and this is where I need a little help from those of you who have done it before.

At the rear I was wondering if these two screw holes could be used? I could get a slightly longer screw from a specialty fastener shop and place a washer between the splitter and the frame?
Name:  IMG_03002.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  113.7 KB

At the front I've seen a lot of people drill into the front crash beam and mount supports there.

I was wondering if the beam could be removed and these holes could be used to mount a custom plate that would extend down and make an "L" so that bolts could be used to secure the spitter at the front.
Name:  IMG_02992.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  57.2 KB

Comments please. And post photos of your mounting solutions.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good. Gonna do this soon but on another platform.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt use those large bolts, they look like they connect the brace to the subframe. id use the screws for the splash guard.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't know why you guys don't just use the zspeed undershroud it covers the same area ?

I wouldn't use the lower crash bar bolt as a spot to make a hanging bracket. Rather mount off the strut bar! Not sure how heavy that alupanel stuff is, but two beefy hanging mounting bracket should be enough next to mounting it to the bumper and chassis.

I slept at a holiday inn last night
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This Will also work as a splitter/undershroud.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Needs to be stepped down off the bumper to clear the sway bar. My rear mounts are going off my GT Spec tie bar ( about the only thing it's good for) front mounting will be off the bumper beam, also mounting straight down off the edges of the beam. Then additional braces off the frame rails just in front of the sway bar mounts.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Z_enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like alot of work that yeilds a headache and hardly any gain and may look bad. is the APR Splitter not good? never researched splitters that much but i know shine auto makes a cf full undersheild/splitter for the amuse rep.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

+1

Adding a splitter to the undershroud I think would be less painful. Then again I knows nothing regarding track use.

In for more!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
seems like alot of work that yeilds a headache and hardly any gain and may look bad. is the APR Splitter not good? never researched splitters that much but i know shine auto makes a cf full undersheild/splitter for the amuse rep.
APR is what $400?

going off the track (which happens every once in a while) usually leads to breaking splitters etc. Thats why im doing a custom splitter out of ABS plastic. I had a amuse bumper with the splitter, went off at thunderhill and broke splitter..well there goes $300, if you break a wood or ABS plastic splitter its like $40

atleast thats why I think people dont just buy APR splitters.

and from what I have seen at track days, people with wings without splitters have unbalanced cars and understeer a lot.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Z_enthusiast
Hardly any gain? Just downforce on the front end. May look bad, this is for track cars not the typical limp wristed nancy boy crap.

Originally Posted by KingBaby
+1

Adding a splitter to the undershroud I think would be less painful. Then again I knows nothing regarding track use.

In for more!
I'm actually running the front section of a Basically a Z speed shroud just to brace the bumper and properly channel air to the radiator.

A proper splitter is not really mounted to the bumper, it must be hard mounted to the chassis. It needs to be able to support a minimum of 200 pounds of downforce.

Last edited by terrasmak; 11-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In for progress

Fixxxercask has a good one, maybe he can chime in
Old 11-20-2012, 02:49 AM
2TH PWR

I should add the reason I was hoping to avoid the use of the front crash beam was incase I wanted to add a supercharger later, I wouldn't have to redesign all the reinforcement at the front. Just use the front crash beam supports that bolt to the chassis. Have a plate or bracket machined and go from there. I see what you mean about having to clear the front sway bar. How much clearance is enough? 1 cm? I'm still up in the air about how to properly secure the back. I was thinking of using the screw holes for theundershroud, but this thing is huge. Just want to make sure it's strong.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 AM
2TH PWR

And for those asking "why a splitter" this is the easiest to understand drawing I've found.

It makes use of the high pressure, compressed air on the front of the car, and impedes it's flow downward.

A net downforce is created. Sometimes a couple hundred pounds.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 AM
freddys 350z

nice...this has got me thinking about making that rear diffuser i wanted to make.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM
SE5spd

OP: how much did you pay for your alupanel? How much did you end up buying? I wanted to make one out of ABS plastic but not quite sure if it'd be strong enough.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Chadbee@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Looks great OP! Keep us updated. I have been following your build

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Hardly any gain? Just downforce on the front end. May look bad, this is for track cars not the typical limp wristed nancy boy crap.

ROFL!!! terrasmak for President!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a splitter can add front down force but a lot depends on ride height, how well that ride height (and pitch) is controlled, and whether diffusers are added to the back of the splitter. Generally a splitter that's over 3" above ground is not working as a splitter anymore. Its acting more as a big front spoiler. You can help that by adding two short diffusers that exhaust into the front wheel wells. Some examples here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...48,s:200,i:148
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
2TH PWR

Originally Posted by SE5spd
OP: how much did you pay for your alupanel? How much did you end up buying? I wanted to make one out of ABS plastic but not quite sure if it'd be strong enough.
One sheet was $175. Probably a lot cheaper in the US.

Good point on the ground clearance. I will have to measure when I'm mocking things up.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Yes, a splitter can add front down force but a lot depends on ride height, how well that ride height (and pitch) is controlled, and whether diffusers are added to the back of the splitter. Generally a splitter that's over 3" above ground is not working as a splitter anymore. Its acting more as a big front spoiler. You can help that by adding two short diffusers that exhaust into the front wheel wells. Some examples here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...48,s:200,i:148
Im probably going to have to pick your brain a bit for the fabbing of mine. Also sounds like i may need a bit more rear spring for pitch control. I know i get a lot of squat from acceleration and from the rear wing at speed.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Z_enthusiast

Originally Posted by terrasmak

I'm actually running the front section of a Basically a Z speed shroud just to brace the bumper and properly channel air to the radiator.

A proper splitter is not really mounted to the bumper, it must be hard mounted to the chassis. It needs to be able to support a minimum of 200 pounds of downforce.
I agree but the nismo front end has a pretty big "plow" as is and yes it needs to be sturdy but a diffuser as he is building that will sit 6-7in off the ground seems like it will still allow alot of force under the car. Especially when your WOT and the front end is up even higher. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but maybe making it angle toward the ground would make more sense to me but again I'm not a track *****.

In for finished product OP

Quick Reply: Homemade Splitter Design and Mounting