Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New 350Z Coilovers for testing check them out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
GregGSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 350Z Coilovers for testing check them out!

Well after looking high and low for a REAL set of rear coilovers for my Z i finally found them. I have a set on the way in for testing next week at roebling.

Spring rates are
Front 15kg
Rear 13kg

Now these are going to be stiff as hell and it is possible to get lower spring rates but we will test them on the street and track to see what we think.

Key Features:

36-way adjustable dampening,
Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness,
Compression/Rebound adjustable
Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment,
Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension trave,l
Pillow Ball Top Mount,
Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage,
Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust,
One Year Limited Warranty

These will not be avalible for purchase till the second week of June from GSC but that should give me enough track and street time to give them some hell.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:10 PM
GQ 350z

Estimated price? Would these be overkill for the street?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:58 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

who makes them?

pp
Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are the Ksport coilovers I believe. Here's the website.

http://www.ksportusa.com/products/ks...lications.html

I'm not trying to bash the product or company because I don't know really know much about these specific coilovers for the Z33 but in my eyes so far, Ksport isn't a quality company and did not do much of R&D when it came to their 3rd Gen Eclipse coilovers. Read here to find out why.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthre...ghlight=ksport
Old 05-19-2005, 04:41 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this basically makes the rear spring location pointless or does it also come with some type of spring to place in there?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 AM
GregGSC

They are Ksport and they are reasonably priced at 1100-1200 a set. the spring rates are stiffer than the Tein Flex 12k/12k but not by to much. with the different spring location in the rear it might need the extra spring. I will be able to answer this one after we get them on the car.

Ksport is not the only company to use this true spring on one coil design in the rear. Cusco's ti series does but they are $4k a set, and so does Racing gear at $2800 a set. (trust me i have been looking) The Ksports are Very very similar to the Racing Gear at about half the price.

Originally Posted by dklau33

I'm not trying to bash the product or company because I don't know really know much about these specific coilovers for the Z33 but in my eyes so far, Ksport isn't a quality company and did not do much of R&D when it came to their 3rd Gen Eclipse coilovers. Read here to find out why.

This is one of the reasons i am bringing them in to test on my car before i sell them to customers.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry, but this has mistake written all over it.

You can't possibly be after rear preload adjustability so much to make such a poor choice on product. IMO, the list of fitment's that dont use the rear spring location is rare for a reason. For many of these companies is would be far easier to not fool with a special spring off the rear dampner or to get into headaches in how you make them adjustable for height. I'll point to Truechoices decision that held up developement on their coilovers for a redesign to NOT go with rear coils on the dampners. Kg/mm, Top Secret (Agosta) and Buddy Club all have dual rear springs. Their are many names that use rear springs in the oem location only, on powerfull one I will drop is Zeal.

The Ksports are a bad idea on several fronts. Do not make a inventory investment. I really don't want to see the same kind of desperate sale posts like we've seen for Kg/mm coilovers, which is a good case in point on what not to inventory (sorry Mike and crew)

Ksport = D2 racing, both of which are the darling child of ebay ad's that never get bid on for valid reason's. Both products have been brought in on past group buys elsewhere for $650, so I see the temptation to market something that no doubt has a high margin in spite of the difficulty getting past brand recognition, R&D history and spring rates that don't belong on the street or off the track (see stiffness vs oem below). I almost bought a set of them in one of the group buys, but after a couple emails from the manufacturer, quickly bailed on the idea.

We had a retailer here that had the same idea, to bring in D2 coilovers to resell here. They installed them on their own 350Z. They hated the resulting ride quality soo much that they pulled the coilovers off the car and abandoned the idea.

Originally Posted by 350z-z33
We test fitted a set (the ones in the pictures) on our Z six month ago and they sucks!!! The ride was WAY TOO harsh...... this is why we did not carry D2 coil-over at this point, but I heard they may have new design for the rear where the spring and strut are separated just like the OEM ones.....
Originally Posted by GregGSC
They are Ksport and they are reasonably priced at 1100-1200 a set. the spring rates are stiffer than the Tein Flex 12k/12k but not by to much. with the different spring location in the rear it might need the extra spring. I will be able to answer this one after we get them on the car.
Their on ebay right now for $950, but the ad has something that I've never seen before from a retailer a "Submit Best Offer" button.

Tein Flex coilovers are stiffer then oem by F+114% *R+98

Ksport coilovers are F+168% * **R+231%

* vs 2003 car's only as 2004.5+ Z's likely have much higer rear oem rates.
** Different rear spring location is factored in. Oem spring location see's only 36% of the springs rate actually making it to the wheels. Move the rear springs to the dampners only and the amount of spring rate that makes it to the wheel goes up to 56%.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 AM
dklau33

This is one of the reasons i am bringing them in to test on my car before i sell them to customers.

Right on.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 AM
FritzMan

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
... ** Different rear spring location is factored in. Oem spring location see's only 36% of the springs rate actually making it to the wheels. Move the rear springs to the dampners only and the amount of spring rate that makes it to the wheel goes up to 56%.
Good info!

I knew there was an effective reduction in the rear but I wasn't sure by how much.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
ObjectZero

We had a retailer here that had the same idea, to bring in D2 coilovers to resell here. They installed them on their own 350Z. They hated the resulting ride quality soo much that they pulled the coilovers off the car and abandoned the idea.
didn't he say he was gonna test them on a Z before he sold them? i mean...thats what it sounds like he said....right here....

Now these are going to be stiff as hell and it is possible to get lower spring rates but we will test them on the street and track to see what we think.

I realize i'm new here...but yer real quick to flame. Have you used these coilovers? Have you tested these coilovers? Cause thats what it sounds like GregGSC is gonna do....and then he would be able to provide a valid write up or form a validated opinion on the product....where you are just basically *****ing.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ObjectZero
didn't he say he was gonna test them on a Z before he sold them? i mean...thats what it sounds like he said....right here....

I realize i'm new here...but yer real quick to flame. Have you used these coilovers? Have you tested these coilovers? Cause thats what it sounds like GregGSC is gonna do....and then he would be able to provide a valid write up or form a validated opinion on the product....where you are just basically *****ing.
Who say's I'm flaming? Just because you don't like what I have to say, tisk tisk. After I clicked on "Submit post", button I then clicked on the red ! button to report my post to the moderators, spelling out why the post was made. Pull your mind out of the gutter and start looking at the data your ignoring. I don't come here to lip flap. I come here to benefit the community. I take things very seriously when it comes to suspension system's for the platform and how they impact end users. Their are too many private classified ad's for stuff being resold that never would have been purchased if people would just had done some basic research. No reason why we can't have infomed fish that will be a little less likely to jump on just any baited hook swung in front of them.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 PM
GregGSC

So not that that was pointed at me but what part of testing them do you not understand? If they don't work then i will be more than happy to tell everyone that they don't work. There is not one post by me to sell them and I didn't even include a price till some one asked. I want to try them and see, we do tons of testing with our cars 350Z, EVO, Supra, Sti and I wanted to put these on and check them out. I think the adjustable spring perch is a joke for a coilover. Why even put coilover on the car. I say setup a suspension with revalved shocks and a fixed spring.

The reasons you state most of the other companies do it this way so it must be the right way is wrong IMO and I am looking for a better way to do it. What’s to say that other manufactures are not fallowing the leader on the adjustable spring perch and not doing the R&D to find the best way to do it. Even Nismo is a private label deal so they didn't even do the research into what works best.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:42 PM
KSPORT

I'm sorry, but this has mistake written all over it.

You can't possibly be after rear preload adjustability so much to make such a poor choice on product. IMO, the list of fitment's that dont use the rear spring location is rare for a reason. For many of these companies is would be far easier to not fool with a special spring off the rear dampner or to get into headaches in how you make them adjustable for height. I'll point to Truechoices decision that held up developement on their coilovers for a redesign to NOT go with rear coils on the dampners. Kg/mm, Top Secret (Agosta) and Buddy Club all have dual rear springs. Their are many names that use rear springs in the oem location only, on powerfull one I will drop is Zeal.

The Ksports are a bad idea on several fronts. Do not make a inventory investment. I really don't want to see the same kind of desperate sale posts like we've seen for Kg/mm coilovers, which is a good case in point on what not to inventory (sorry Mike and crew)

Ksport = D2 racing, both of which are the darling child of ebay ad's that never get bid on for valid reason's. Both products have been brought in on past group buys elsewhere for $650, so I see the temptation to market something that no doubt has a high margin in spite of the difficulty getting past brand recognition, R&D history and spring rates that don't belong on the street or off the track (see stiffness vs oem below). I almost bought a set of them in one of the group buys, but after a couple emails from the manufacturer, quickly bailed on the idea.

Their on ebay right now for $950, but the ad has something that I've never seen before from a retailer a "Submit Best Offer" button.

Tein Flex coilovers are stiffer then oem by F+114% *R+98

Ksport coilovers are F+168% * **R+231%

* vs 2003 car's only as 2004.5+ Z's likely have much higer rear oem rates.
** Different rear spring location is factored in. Oem spring location see's only 36% of the springs rate actually making it to the wheels. Move the rear springs to the dampners only and the amount of spring rate that makes it to the wheel goes up to 56%.

Where do i start on this one....

There are other brands, that come with the single unit rear combination, cusco is one for example. If we found a design that customers like, and rides better than the seperate units, why is that bad. Should we wait until other companies design first to manufacture this design.

Where on earth did you hear D2=Ksport, that is farthest from the truth. If you look at our designes side by side you would be able to tell, although other brands are "assembled" at the same factory as Ksport, our engineers developed our own valving, specs, spring rates, and we have our own choise of manufacturers for parts. All our metal is from Japan, all very high quality, all rubber parts, o rings ect.. are made by nox japan, as you should know is the best, and most expensive rubber manufacturer in japan.

If you think any of the you mentioned above are better, i would like to know why, just because they are popular, or overcharge for systems does not mean they are better. If you had any idea where some of the products were made you wouldnt be saying that. Or maybe many are similar in design because they are made at the same factory.

I would love for you to show where this design has been purchased for $650 which is impossible, unless a company was whoring out their inventory. especially since the design change this year.

As you should know you cannot compare a monotube design to a twin tube design such as tein, a higher spring rate on our system will feel the same as lower spring rates on other systems, as alot of factors come into play.

We back our products 100 percent, and have "never" had one defective unit in over 3 years. We have track tested the 350z design for hundreds of hours at formula D competitions, and other events across the nation. Im not going to knock other brands, i am just saying our quality is excellent, and out of thousads of units sold across the world, we have never had one defective unit.

Thank you.

Last edited by KSPORT; 05-19-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:21 PM
KSPORT

regarding this, it was a design flaw with the strut bar attachment, last year, it was fixed immediatly and is not a big deal.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:40 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Would someone please explain why a manufacturer would ignore the OEM spring location to mount the springs on the shocks? The OEM designed spring location has the proper load bearing chassis structure to handle spring loads. The OEM shock location mounting points are designed for shock absorber loads....NOT spring load forces. I will never purchase a coilover setup that ignores this fact. BUT....good luck with your testing.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by EnthuZ
Would someone please explain why a manufacturer would ignore the OEM spring location to mount the springs on the shocks? The OEM designed spring location has the proper load bearing chassis structure to handle spring loads. The OEM shock location mounting points are designed for shock absorber loads....NOT spring load forces. I will never purchase a coilover setup that ignores this fact. BUT....good luck with your testing.

I gotta say .. +2
Old 05-19-2005, 10:16 PM
KSPORT

Ok, we would ignore oem spring location for height adjustability in the rear without the associated noises from a hi-low kit such as other brands. The shock location can bear the load of the rear end with no problem, as per nissan. But maybe nissan is wrong. In our testing runs at D1 driver search the guys from nissan loved the handle and were impressed with the setup very much.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by KSPORT
regarding this, it was a design flaw with the strut bar attachment, last year, it was fixed immediatly and is not a big deal.

Has a permanent strut bar attachment been added to the design of the coilovers or do the 3rd gen Eclispe kits still have to use an add on bracket sleeve that uses up a good inch or so of the threading for the shock body? I know mistakes are made by everbody, but the simple oversight of a strut bar attachment point really concerns me regarding R&D or lack thereof.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:31 AM
GregGSC

This is not a new thing Corvettes in the past have gone from a mono leaf to a coil spring, mustangs do it. and I am sure there are more. If you have ever tried to adjust the rear spring purch coil over design you will no that it is a super ***** to get the car corner balanced.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:25 PM
KSPORT

Has a permanent strut bar attachment been added to the design of the coilovers or do the 3rd gen Eclispe kits still have to use an add on bracket sleeve that uses up a good inch or so of the threading for the shock body? I know mistakes are made by everbody, but the simple oversight of a strut bar attachment point really concerns me regarding R&D or lack thereof.

yes, we still use the threaded bracket sleeve, customers prefer it as it gives the most adjustability, and the inch it takes up is not needed, it still allows plenty of room to adjust the bottom mount to lay the vehicle on the tires if needed.

The test vehicle did not have a strut bar, hence no attachment, no reason for concern, we have engineers that are very good at what they do. and it was a brand new application at the time, and i think this is extremely minor as a representation for a whole company R&D process. Maybe you should get rid of your 350z since there was a recall on the cooling system in 2003, does that show a lack of R&D on nissans part, it wouldnt to me because they corrected the problem.

Last edited by KSPORT; 05-20-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply: New 350Z Coilovers for testing check them out!