Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Worn-Out Front Chamber Arms due to Heavy RIMS???????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Geovanni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn-Out Front Chamber Arms due to Heavy RIMS???????

Well first off, i have a 2004 350z and i been noticing a slight pull to the left and my steering wheel would be unaligned (it would be more to the left then center)

i recently replaced my front tires (bfg g-forces) and the tire people said my front tires move to the side like the bearings are loose. So i bring it to Nissan and they checked and confirmed that the bearings are loose and that my front chamber arms are worn out. They have to wait tommarow for the service manager to approve the repair since i have aftermarket rims (19" Giovanna Genoas)

is that right? will heavier rims wear out the chambers within 1 1/2 years?
And also if the service manager doesn't approve it as warranty i will have to pay for the repairs, so i need a good arguement if that situation comes.

Please help, thanks

-Geo
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should've stuck your stock rims back on!!! Goodluck and keep us updated though. What the heck is a chamber arm? Any relation to a front camber arm/control arm?

--Sam
Old 12-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Geovanni

yea the front camber arm/control arm sorry

we'll see tommarow...
-Geo
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, it makes sense that heavier wheels would cause more wear and tear on the suspension. It's the same reason that wheel manufacturers warn against putting low or negative offsets on your car - increased loads on the suspension.

Good luck with the dealer - I doubt you're going to win that argument.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its only logical that heavy wheels put more stain on suspension components. And suspension item wear depending on mileage and driving style.

Concerning wheels bearings and camber arms, they may be fixed under warranty because of a “deficiency in materials or workmanship.” But I doubt it. Mechanical things just wear out. The service manager doesn't have the argue that your current wheels are larger or heavier than the OEM wheels. If the camber arms were say, cracked, that would be a different story.

BTW what is the offset of your front wheels?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Geovanni

i believe it is a +35 offset

-Geo
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
trescincuenta

Worse case, take the car home, put the stock wheels back on, and head to another nissan dealer, maybe one thats an hour away or so
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Geovanni

Sold the stock wheels :P
We'll see when they call me later today, hopefully i don't have to start making a scene and argue the fact. Might have to bring out the "corporate" trump card out. Wish me luck guys

-Geo
Old 12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
spf4000

It's one of those things people don't really think about when upsizing their wheels. The bigger, heavier wheels exert a lot more stress on the hubs and bearing, as well as the rest of the suspension/steering components. Back when I had a lifted truck, I was replacing the tie rods and center link once a year because the bigger tires placed so much stress on the linkage. Even pushing the wheels out with different offsets or with spacers increase the stress on the suspension/hub/steering components.

If you keep the current wheel/tire set up, you may be looking at a situation where you have to replace the steering and suspension components every couple of years. If the 05s or 06s models have upgraded hubs and linkages, I suggest you replace your current parts with them to increase the durability of the parts. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spf4000
It's one of those things people don't really think about when upsizing their wheels. The bigger, heavier wheels exert a lot more stress on the hubs and bearing, as well as the rest of the suspension/steering components. Back when I had a lifted truck, I was replacing the tie rods and center link once a year because the bigger tires placed so much stress on the linkage. Even pushing the wheels out with different offsets or with spacers increase the stress on the suspension/hub/steering components.

If you keep the current wheel/tire set up, you may be looking at a situation where you have to replace the steering and suspension components every couple of years. If the 05s or 06s models have upgraded hubs and linkages, I suggest you replace your current parts with them to increase the durability of the parts. Good luck.
350Z owners are familiar with the downside of plus sizing, but chose to ignore the fact. It many cases, looks are more important than function. Its interesting to visit the autocross forum and read “Where can I get some lightweight 17x8 wheels for my car? Please help!”
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Geovanni

Thanks for the input all. Luckily the Service Manager approved the repairs because my car looks too good to be broken.
So now they have to order the parts which hopefully will take 1 day *crosses fingers*

Might have to start looking for lighter weight rims. When i first got my z i was more interested in show then everything, and now that im done with show and focusing more on performance, it's time to first start with new rims.

-Geo
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM
spf4000

Originally Posted by davidv
350Z owners are familiar with the downside of plus sizing, but chose to ignore the fact. It many cases, looks are more important than function. Its interesting to visit the autocross forum and read “Where can I get some lightweight 17x8 wheels for my car? Please help!”
I can't seem to find that thread. Can you provide a link?