Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brakes - pads & rotors - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
ohw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex94040
I just took my 05 touring non-brembo for an inspection - 20K miles - and the guy is telling me that my front pads are warped. Less than 1mm to go... What really surprised me was that the front rotors were also dead - they can't even be resurfaced... Is this normal? What are my chances of convincing the dealer to get this under warranty? I don't do heavy performance stuff, it's my everyday car.

I'd also appreciate advice on aftermarket pads and rotors - if I have to get new ones, I don't wanna go with stock . Main goals - everyday driving, firmer feel.

Thanks!
I am very curious about why your pads are gone and the rotors are warped to the point that they cannot be resurfaced, all with 20K miles. Something is really wrong dude. BTW, the pads typically do not wrap as you have indicated, the rotors do. Here are some questions for you:
Have you tried a second opinion? Do you live on a major hill or something? What kind of "street" driving do you do? Does the brake pedal vibrate when you slow down?
Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 PM
kahuba

Alex, are you sure they really do need replaced? Does the pedal pulsate when your brake? Do you hear a grinding noise? Unless you drive the hell out of your car, I have a hard time believing the rotors are beyond resurfacing at only 20k.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
kahuba

Beat me to it OHW, all valid questions however.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by heezyo2o
That argument is flawed because if you have to apply maximum braking/emergency braking from 80 or 100mph, then you're in trouble to begin with. Even then, ABS will kick in which should allow you to swerve to avoid danger. If such a situation were to arise, reaction time would be much more important than what type of brakes you have.

If you were to try similar braking techniques in a turn, it would be game over even with VDC, BBK or not.
actually no... because that extra couple feet you save could save the car and even your life!
Just think about it as extra insurance!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 AM
alex94040

To close the thread - yes, my brakes really were pretty screwed up, both pads and rotors (to the point when they can't be resurfaced). I understand that it's early - only 20K - and no, i don't drive my baby Z to the ground.

I went to the dealer where I bought there car; after only a tiny bit of convincing they agreed to replace rotors under warranty if I paid for the pads.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Azeotrope

Originally Posted by kahuba
Unless you drive the hell out of your car, I have a hard time believing the rotors are beyond resurfacing at only 20k.
Believe it. Same deal here, replace the pads and the rotors at about the same time. Severe wear on front rotors (with plenty of pad left)... no wear on back rotors.

Took it in, biatched like hell, they checked load distribution between the front and the back. 4 months later I can feel a goove in my front rotors again. I made the mistake of putting nissan parts on it the first time. In 8 more months when I need another set of rotors, I'll look for better quality parts.

I probably should have bought a Boxster. My 350Z is a daily city driver, and I don't drive any harder than I did with my Windstar van.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM rotors have often 2mm or less of "surplus" thickness on them.

Don't expect them to be resurfaced...