Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Do I need new rotors and brake pads (brembos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006 | 12:04 PM
sicilianoNYC

Default Do I need new rotors and brake pads (brembos)

I have had the same rotors on my car since i got it (brembo track brakes) which is now 55k miles. I have changed out the stock pads at 21k to the hawks pads. I notice that the braking response seems stiffer and almost less responsive than when I first got the brakes (i have an enthusiast and put these brakes on around 19-20k miles). Nissan has turned my rotors about 4 months ago and told me that it BARELY was in spec to still be cut and that the rotors should be replaced soon...i dont always trust those guys though, and the brake pads look like they have enough wear left but then again they have been on for 35k miles now. I also notice that when i brake hard the "BRAKE" (usually meant for parking brake) light in the dash lights up for a second.....and the brake fluid looks to be full.... if i do need new rotors id rather not spend a fortune cuz i dont track the car but i do want ok quality ones....any suggestions
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:08 PM
sicilianoNYC

well i just looked and the brake fluid reservoir is closer to min than max......
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:22 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by sicilianoNYC
i dont always trust those guys though
Wise idea. If a mechanic tells me that the rotors cant be turned, I ask how thick are they? I'm surprised when they cannot answer the question.
Old 01-23-2006 | 12:34 PM
sicilianoNYC

it also could be the hawks hps pads from what im reading even thought ive had em for a while the bite sucks now and is scaring me at freeway speeds......i think imma go with the NISMO front brembo pads....i also may change my rotors.....
Old 01-23-2006 | 01:57 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

I hate the HPS pads, I might as well not have brake pads at all and just stop the car like fred flinstone
Old 01-23-2006 | 04:59 PM
sicilianoNYC

yeah im done with those damn hawks pads
Old 01-24-2006 | 12:46 PM
cupcar

Turning brake rotors seems to be a profit center for dealers, I measure them myself and would resurface only if they are scored or out of spec.

Actually, I am more inclined to replace than resurface....

Brembo makes replacment rotors for the Track brakes that are better than stock by the way, way less money and are either drilled or slotted, your choice same price.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:25 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by cupcar
Brembo makes replacment rotors for the Track brakes that are better than stock by the way, way less money and are either drilled or slotted, your choice same price.
What's the benefit with drilled or slotted? How bout both drilled and slotted. Everytime I search I get conflicting info.
Old 01-24-2006 | 01:57 PM
cupcar

My take on it is this: if you are using the car on the street the drilled offers less weight and the advantage of water, debris and gas venting, but the rotors tend to develop stess cracks when used at the track.

The slotted offer the advantages of water, debris and gas venting but at slightly greater weight which does not tend to crack in track use.

So for street pick what looks best to you, for track use the slotted IMHO.
Old 01-24-2006 | 04:10 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by cupcar
My take on it is this: if you are using the car on the street the drilled offers less weight and the advantage of water, debris and gas venting, but the rotors tend to develop stess cracks when used at the track.
That's what I have read, but have also seen where they have cracked from street use. I don't track, but it would suck to have them crack from street use. My car is a daily driver, but I beat on it when ever I get a chance, which is daily.lol. Maybe I should go with the slotted since I don't really care about the weight advantage?
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:28 PM
J Ritt

If you like the look of the drilled rotors and never plan to track the car, just go with drilled. Chances are, on the street you are never going to cycle them to hot enough temps to cause significant cracking. You'll probably wear them past their minimum thickness before that happens. The opposite is true on the track. If you track your car once a month, you'll surely crack the rotors before you wear them thin.

cupcar's description of the merits of each type of rotors was on point.
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:33 PM
J Ritt

Sicilian,
Check your parking brake handle...it may not be fully disengaged, hence the 'brake' light on the dash.

It sounds like you'd probably be better off just getting some new rotors at this point, rather than trying to cut the ones you have. The cost differential is probably not that great.

If you aren't getting good bite, you may need to do a good bed-in. Doing so will lay down a layer of pad material for the pads to 'cling' to. Check out this article on our site:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:40 PM
daddyz

I have some stock brembro rotors with about 7,000 milces on them. I purchased the cross drilled brembros. They look awsome. Make me an offer on my stock rotors.