Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Thoughts and opinions on SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 AM
hunter6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts and opinions on SS Brake Lines

For those that have purchased SS Brake Lines for thier Z would you please share your thoughts and opinions on the products. I am very interested in improving braking response but I do not want to waste money if the product doesn't deliver. For comparision I have an 06 GT Z with 6MT (Stock Brembos).

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want better braking response, the get better brake pads.

SS lines are mainly for firmer pedal FEEL rather than brake response, in which i relate to shorter stopping distances and 'grabbing' feeling on the rotors...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
barthelb
Master

Like he said, better brake pads. I'd recommend maybe a stoptech stage 2 for brembos. Which should be pads, rotors, ss lines and motul brake fluid. My guess is they will feel much better. I had the non brembo upgrade and it was great.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OEM brake lines (the rubber ones) will last you 10 years plus. As far as better brakes, are you not satisfieD with stopping distances?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
hunter6

Thanks for the input, I was under the impression that SS lines would decrease stopping ditance slightly and improve brake feel due to quicker response. Pehaps this is not true? I like the stoptech stage two kit but will likely wait for my first set of rotors/pads to wear out bfore I go to that. So maybe I asked the wrong question...how about this: What benefits (if any) are gained by installing SS Brake Lines?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 PM
barthelb
Master

Better brake feel and a slight increase in clamping force, i believe because the line is no longer as flexible as when it is rubber.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hunter6
Thanks for the input, I was under the impression that SS lines would decrease stopping ditance slightly and improve brake feel due to quicker response. Pehaps this is not true? I like the stoptech stage two kit but will likely wait for my first set of rotors/pads to wear out bfore I go to that. So maybe I asked the wrong question...how about this: What benefits (if any) are gained by installing SS Brake Lines?

Thanks

stock brake lines (made of rubber) have the tendency to flex/buldge when the brake fluid is being pumped into the lines via brake pedal... you replace them with SS lines to resist the flex, thus giving you a firmer pedal feel, rather than a slightly squishy/elastic feeling on the pedal. I've also heard that the SS lines have higher heat tolerences and will resist damage better than rubber lines.. however i've never really seen any data to support this, i know that after my laps at the track my ss lines have held up nicely.

only bad thing is, if you kink the line with a hard bend, you're gonna have to get replacements.

if you would want to improve stopping distances on the street, your best bet is to get a better compound brake pad for the street. aka better cold temperature grabbing... Green Stuff/Nismo Sport Pads/Porterfield R4S/Hawk, etc... you can keep your stock rotors and just switch the pads out to keep it simple...
if you want to prevent brake FADE and increase temperature resistance, say for track usage, you'd want to get either race compound pads (pagids/R4/hawk racing), and /or slotted rotors, add ducting to the inside veil of the rotors to help cool everything down, in addition to changing to a higher-boiling temp brake fluid.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Tekwon-V

i have my crown SS/Kevlar brakelines coming from Greg @ Mossy. I will let you know how they 'feel' on the track. i am actually doing an event with my new setup (cryo powerslots & hp+) this wknd.... with the OE line.

and in late july, i am doing an event added with the ss/kevlar line. i will try to remember the feeling difference btw. the two and holler.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:44 PM
hunter6

Originally Posted by Chebosto
if you would want to improve stopping distances on the street, your best bet is to get a better compound brake pad for the street. aka better cold temperature grabbing... Green Stuff/Nismo Sport Pads/Porterfield R4S/Hawk, etc... you can keep your stock rotors and just switch the pads out to keep it simple...
Thanks again...will these pads be noisy or quiet as stock?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 PM
J Ritt

This is directly from our product description on our website:

StopTech stainless steel brake lines improve pedal feel and reduce the amount of time between applied pedal pressure and actual deceleration by preventing expansion, which stock rubber flex lines allow. This provides a quicker pedal response, and allows the driver to maintain consistent brake pressure and precision brake modulation.
StopTech brake lines consist of a Teflon® inner line that is covered with a layer of stainless steel woven braid. The Teflon tube is very resistant to expansion under pressure and will not degrade from exposure to brake fluid. The stainless steel braid provides support for the Teflon and the weave is extremely durable against incidental impact and abrasion. StopTech brake lines feature a Clear Abrasion Resistant Cover for maximum protection against chaffing
All StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines are DOT (United States Department of Transportation) compliant and 100% tested to a pressure of 4500 psi.

You are correct...SS lines reduce system compliance and the time to do work. The same is true of a fixed caliper vs. a slider. Overall though, most people are more sensitive to a change in pad compound, as others have mentioned. Something with a higher coefficient of friction gives more 'bite' than stock. Too high though, and the brakes will feel 'touchy' or 'jumpy.' It's all a balancing act. SS lines, high performance pads, and slotted or drilled rotors for those pads to bite into...bedded-in properly, all add up to incremental increases in feel and modulation.
These things translate into greater confidence the harder you use them.
That's why you see a lot of our customers talking about how much more confidence they have vs. the stock setup on the street and track. The harder you push, the more confidence you'll want.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

oh yea.. buy stoptech!

this message brought to you by proud sponsor of cheston's car...
Old 06-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I have the Stoptech SS line on my BREMBOS and it is a considerable difference in pedal feel, Id highly recommend them.

STOPTECH SS LINES
Old 07-23-2006, 01:31 AM
CDR_UK

I have Nismo lines on my Z and they make zero difference - tried on many circuits, including Spa Francorchamps and Nurburgring.

Upgrading the pads, and brake fluid can show a big improvement in performance and feel though. I put Ferodo DS2500 pads, and the feel is very good compared with stock.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Digging up an old topic ‘cuz I’m shopping for SS lines.

Originally Posted by davidv
OEM brake lines (the rubber ones) will last you 10 years plus. As far as better brakes, are you not satisfieD with stopping distances?
I was discussing brakes with my chief engineer at work and he immediately asked if I had changed my lines to SS lines. I said no, that the feel of the brakes were good as is. He came up with a argument unrelated to the brake feel…

The lines will last 10 years in a street application. If used on the race track, things are different. When exposed to heat, the OEM rubber lines will degrade faster and start to expend more and more. This can eventually lead to a hose coming out of its own fitting, with obvious results. This has been known to happen during testing at some undisclosed car manufacturer test facility…

So, it’s SS line time for me! I need to rebuilt the front Brembos anyways…
Old 08-29-2006, 05:40 AM
simstad

Stoptech Stage 2 in rear, 14" BBK in front, way more than I'll ever need.
Good for when I stop short to make the move.