Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Fluid Level Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Level Sensor

First I just want to confirm that the connector that clips into the harness under the brake fluid resorvoir tank is indeed for the brake fluid level sensor. If that's correct then what would be the consequences of damaging that connector? I was bleeding my brakes today and I accidentally poured a little too fast into the reservoir and a bit of fluid spilled out where some got onto the level sensor connector. Some fluid actually got inside the connector so I had to unplug it and clean it as best as I can. Now my brake pedal travel is really long, not quite to the floor but getting close, and I can't even engage ABS when I stomp on it all the way. It's like I have to do twice the leg work to make the brakes engage sufficiently. I'm thinking I must still have quite a bit of air in the system and I just need to bleed again. But could a damaged fluid level sensor in some way contribute to what I'm experiencing?
The following users liked this post:
Pbmata141 (09-23-2020)
Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 AM
RevLimitZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like air in the lines to me. As far as the ABS, are your brakes locking up or just not engaging ABS???
Old 08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
dklau33

Even when I press the pedal down all teh way at 100%, ABS does not engage and my brakes don't lock up. It feels like I've actually lost the ability to produce as much brake torque as before and my stopping distances are longer. Braking jsut feels very weak. Bascially, I would not want to be in an emergency braking situation because I know my car will not stop in time. I'll rebleed tomorrow even more thoroghly and see what happens.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:38 PM
mberthia

I don't think the fluid level sensor has anything to do with what you are experiencing. Are you an experienced "brake bleeder" ? IE did you follow the proper procedure to ensure no air got in ?
Old 08-28-2006, 01:25 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by mberthia
I don't think the fluid level sensor has anything to do with what you are experiencing. Are you an experienced "brake bleeder" ? IE did you follow the proper procedure to ensure no air got in ?
Yeah, I've bled my brakes on two different cars for about 8 - 10 times now mainly for track days. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. For background info I'm using speed bleeder screws which allows the one man bleeding. The first few times I bled brakes I did it the old fashion two man way. Ever since I've been using speed bleeder screws w/o a problem until now. I'm sure I messed up somehow so we'll see.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
mberthia

Let us know how you fix it as I'm considering the speed bleeders. I have read mixed reviews on them. Some like them, some don't. Not sure why they sometimes work well and other times don't.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:30 PM
dklau33

So I rebled again today but this time I just did a gravity bleed which takes a long time. Apparently two of my speedbleeder screws are deffective as they let fluid out just by opening the bleeder screws even though the checkvalve is supposed to be closed. So I did a gravity bleed on these two screws. The other two didn't let anything out until I actually pumped the brake pedal so I think those are okay. After taking about 2 hours and using about 24 oz. of fluid my pedal is much better now and firm. After doing some research, it seems like defective speed bleeders aren't uncommon.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Pbmata141

Originally Posted by dklau33
First I just want to confirm that the connector that clips into the harness under the brake fluid resorvoir tank is indeed for the brake fluid level sensor. If that's correct then what would be the consequences of damaging that connector? I was bleeding my brakes today and I accidentally poured a little too fast into the reservoir and a bit of fluid spilled out where some got onto the level sensor connector. Some fluid actually got inside the connector so I had to unplug it and clean it as best as I can. Now my brake pedal travel is really long, not quite to the floor but getting close, and I can't even engage ABS when I stomp on it all the way. It's like I have to do twice the leg work to make the brakes engage sufficiently. I'm thinking I must still have quite a bit of air in the system and I just need to bleed again. But could a damaged fluid level sensor in some way contribute to what I'm experiencing?

yes, that is the brake fluid level sensor. I just purchased this single part from rock auto trying to see now how to actually remove it from the plastic casing to replace just that single part.

Last edited by Pbmata141; 09-23-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:43 AM
Billyt858

Default Brake fluid level sensor

How did you remove the brake fluid sensor? Did you have to take out the master cylinder reservoir to be able to remove the brake fluid sensor?

Last edited by Billyt858; 01-30-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by dklau33
So I rebled again today but this time I just did a gravity bleed which takes a long time. Apparently two of my speedbleeder screws are deffective as they let fluid out just by opening the bleeder screws even though the checkvalve is supposed to be closed. So I did a gravity bleed on these two screws. The other two didn't let anything out until I actually pumped the brake pedal so I think those are okay. After taking about 2 hours and using about 24 oz. of fluid my pedal is much better now and firm. After doing some research, it seems like defective speed bleeders aren't uncommon.
Kudos on actually posting the SOLUTION to your brake issue. Many threads like this go unanswered because the OP realizes they did xomething wrong and are too embarrassed or lazy to finish the tread properly by posting the answer. Good on ya for letting us know about the speedbleeders!