Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Recommendation (Recent Tein Flex Owners?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coilover Recommendation (Recent Tein Flex Owners?)

I was to set to buy Tein Flex's for my suspension, and reading every possible review available. Yet with all the helpful information i have overlooked the running change of the spring rates. Now has there been any recent Tein Flex owners to comment on the ride quality on the lowest dampening setting?

I Have considered many other Coilover systems to fit my application. Stance, Hks RS, JIC Flt-2, Tanabe Sustec Pro S-oc, and KW Variant 3's.

The majority of driving will be on the street with the occasional track and autocross. With that in mind I know majority of you will recommend a choice of springs and properly valved shocks. To me however, I'd like to have the ability to adjust later down the road, not necessarily i will adjust often but knowing i am able to better validates the reason to spend the amount.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated.
-Steve
Old 12-26-2006, 04:36 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done quite a bit of research on coilovers and I honestly would not pick the Tein Flex or JIC. I have heard stories about harsh ride and improper valving. I personally would go with the KW Variant 3 or the HKS RS. I have heard both great things about them. I would choose the Variant 3 over the RS, beause of the seperate 2 way adjustability and also they will be easier to get rebuilt if you ever need them to be. The Variant 3 has proggresive springs rates which are not the "best" for the track, but do work very well from what I hear. The progressive spring rates will provide a very nice ride tho. If you ever decide that you want the best track setup you can buy linear springs from KW for around a couple hundred bucks.

The HKS RS is an awesome coilover too. I have talked to many people that have them, that both drive their car on the street and track. From what I have been told they offer a very nice and comfortable ride on the street, but also have excellent control and adjustability for the track.

I talked to this vender acouple weeks ago and quoted me a very nice deal on the KW Variant 3. If you dont want all the adjustability you can always go with a Variant 1 or Variant 2.
https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/229022-kw-variant-v3-coilovers-unreal-price-in-stock.html

Last edited by thawk408; 12-26-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

I actually considered the KW's before the teins and stances. The Hks units are a possibility but the spring rates and reviews that I've seen are too harsh for day to day use.

Kw's Variant 3s are top choice if anyone with the revised Tein Flex's can chime in.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is not one review I have ever seen with an HKS RS being too harsh - you're thinking of a different coilover I think

each review of the HKS has been the same - wonderful street characteristics, and they work for the occassional track day.

The KW offers more adjustment, though they are more expensive (though still an awesome deal for what you get)

Do not base your consideration merely on spring rates - they do play a role, but its how that rate interacts with the dampening of the strut, and the tire that determines how the car feels and handles
Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 AM
MoodDude

You stated that you do track and AutoX days, I would say that the KW is the wrong choice for you since it has a progressive spring. Also, if this is your first coilover system - you don't need to complicate things even more with the dual adjustment. Also, the KW are pretty expensive.
I have the Tein Flex and can't feel a difference between stock and the softest dampening setting. Also, unless you intend to cut huge holes in your rear tower strut tower bar to adjust the dampening - then EDFC is for you. I also like the fact that the front coilover has a separate ride hieght and spring pre-load adjustment.

As I use mine on track all the time a few things I am not happy with:
- Tein states 17 different settings (0 to 16) yet there is really only about 6 to 8
- They come with 670# springs all the way around. Since the Z comes from the factory slightly heavier in the front (and if you remove the spare tire and tools for track, it is even heavier in front) I would like to have seen about 700# springs in front and 650# springs in the rear.

Whatever you choose I would recommend:

1. I would weigh your car how you drive it on track with you in it and give that information to a coilover supplier to match the system to your car and your goals.
2. Get you car corner weighted after the install - this will unlock the full potential of the coilover.
3. Install an adjustable sway bar since you will now need to tune these to match your new system.
4. Install adjustable end-links so that you can get a perfect cross-weights.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:27 AM
thawk408

Originally Posted by MoodDude
You stated that you do track and AutoX days, I would say that the KW is the wrong choice for you since it has a progressive spring. Also, if this is your first coilover system - you don't need to complicate things even more with the dual adjustment. Also, the KW are pretty expensive.
I have the Tein Flex and can't feel a difference between stock and the softest dampening setting. Also, unless you intend to cut huge holes in your rear tower strut tower bar to adjust the dampening - then EDFC is for you. I also like the fact that the front coilover has a separate ride hieght and spring pre-load adjustment.

As I use mine on track all the time a few things I am not happy with:
- Tein states 17 different settings (0 to 16) yet there is really only about 6 to 8
- They come with 670# springs all the way around. Since the Z comes from the factory slightly heavier in the front (and if you remove the spare tire and tools for track, it is even heavier in front) I would like to have seen about 700# springs in front and 650# springs in the rear.

Whatever you choose I would recommend:

1. I would weigh your car how you drive it on track with you in it and give that information to a coilover supplier to match the system to your car and your goals.
2. Get you car corner weighted after the install - this will unlock the full potential of the coilover.
3. Install an adjustable sway bar since you will now need to tune these to match your new system.
4. Install adjustable end-links so that you can get a perfect cross-weights.
I would say the KW is the wrong choice IF he was a weekend tracker, but he stated he will be occationaly tracked. So maybe 3-4 times a year? You can always swap our the progressive springs for some linears if you want. Also they do offer a Variant 2 that is just single adjustable if your wallet would like that more. I suggested the Variant 3 because he might not have a use for the adjustability right now, but eventually down the road if he learns how to use it it will provide a greater adjustability range for him to take use of.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Wholey Smokes

I've been searching for some coilovers for the same purpose. I've decided on the HKS RS. Everyone who has them really seems to love them and they're relatively low priced. I've heard the rears are very easily adjustable, too, because of the inverted strut design.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

exactly ^ - and there is also a big difference between your typical club type track day, and an out and out timed competition event; the term "track day" is very broad, and not well defined, nor understood, by those who don't frequent them. Having taken KW, progressively sprung equipped Z's on several NE tracks, they worked very well. If I was going for a more time attack, or "weekend track monster" setup, I'd upgrade to the linear springs (which is no big deal - they can be ordered that way too). If you are literally doing a couple auto-x a year and a couple of track days (HPDE) type events, I think the money spent in then upgrade to linear springs is better spent elsewhere (like to dedicated track tires, which are still going to reduce your lap times more than any of the suspension mods you can think of).

Also, not every coilover is top dampening adjustable - my HKS for example are done at the bottom on the rears (thoughful of them I think), and top on the front - I can change the whole cars settings in a few seconds (I do it when I check tire temps, pressure). I don't go through big adjustment changes at the track - a couple clicks stiffer or softer depending on what the tires are telling me (via temps).

Suspension is a very subjective matter - ask 10 people, you're likely to get 11 opinions. From a purely personal standpoint, I don't have double adjustable coilovers (HKS RS on my car now), nor do I have adjustable endlinks (stock for now), nor do I even run an adjustable rear sway bar (Cusco, and I leave the front at the stiffest setting), yet my car is quicker around Lime Rock than our ITS 325 is and our ITS M3. While I'd love to have those features, I literally have no need for them, and as such, won't be installing them on my car anytime soon. While the car is very quick around the tracks I am familiar with, it is composed enough for the daily use I put it through here in the NY/NJ/CT area (with our crappy roads). Again though, the thing that makes the car easy to live with on the streets, or obnoxious, is most the tire, not the spring rate, or swaybar rate, or any other suspension component.

Define your goals (be realistic), define your budget. If you want to be fast at the track, start with the items that have the biggest impact - a couple of driving schools (WELL worth the investment, plus its a ton of fun), good R compound tires, followed by swaybars. From there, feel the car out, get a feel for what the car does that does not correspond to your driving style, and then the selection of what suits your particular needs becomes narrower and narrower, making the choices easier and easier.

The other thing too is from a marketing perspective - don't get hung up (not that you mentioned this, but its important for anyone to consider) on the levels of dampening adjustability. I'd rather have a coilover with 5 meaningful adjustments than 16 or 32 minute adjustments.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

So basically it boils down to the KW Variant 3's with or without linear springs, HKS Rs', and the Tein Flex's.

My goals hasn't changed. Majority of my driving again will be on the street with auto-x and tracking limited to about 5X a year. Budget wise i have begun to "not care" just for the fact that if i get the performance i want i'll be happy regardless of the price.

Oh and Z1 i believe i was reading about the Hypermax II's, and i'll be using BFG KDW2's as my tires, if that helps at all.

Thanks for all the helps guys, its very much appreciated.
-Steve
Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

The Hipermax II is a bit stiffer, but not overly so - thing is, they are no longer stocked in the US, and to special order them, while easy to do, is a long process.

If you are in the sub $2000 range, the HKS RS or the KW V2 (or V3 is you want the future level adjustability). In the over $2k category, I'd look into the Zeals or the Ohlins (though reviews of these are going to be hard to find - we've got a set en route but not sure when I'll get a chance to test them out).
Old 12-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

If you had the choice though, would you still go with the HKS RS if you were able to get the Varaint 3's?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

If I had the choice, I'd go V3 because I would be making use of the extra features - given your uses/needs, I'd say it's a toss up though.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Flex and they are an excellent coilover, but they are stiff. I bought some 10kgmm springs to soften them up a bit. 10kg springs are still stiff, but reasonable on the street. The damping is great and the perform nicely.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

I think i'll go with the KW's, I haven't heard any bad things about them as of yet, just price. I wish they had a product like the edfc for them however...

350Zteve, as far as ride comfort, how are they before you changed springs?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
MoodDude

I was just trying to give you real world testing on my Z to make it perform better - I did say recommend not mandatory - and I am not trying to sell anything (unlike a lot of people on this board).
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

whether he gets them from us or not is not too big of a concern for me - its good info for anyone to see down the road, for when they search for things. Especially since I've been in, or driven cars with just about every possible tire/coilover combo at this point, even ones we don't sell, so I've got a good first hand knowledge base for a variety of combos.

Hopefully I'll be trying out a set of stance soon - a local customer has them (though his car is slammed on the ground so not sure how much I'll be able to tell lol)

The Flex are a nice unit as well, though I have felt they are too stiffly sprung for the streets in our region. I definitely envy the guys down south - the roads are SO much better!!!!!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-27-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I think i'll go with the KW's, I haven't heard any bad things about them as of yet, just price. I wish they had a product like the edfc for them however...

350Zteve, as far as ride comfort, how are they before you changed springs?
Stiff, but not too bad. If most of your driving is on smooth roads, you will be fine with the Flex. If you drive a lot on bad roads, softer setups will work better.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Do you see anything wrong with the Variant 3's other than the progressive springs? Also i haven't been able to find out any information whether or not they pillow ball mounts similar to the hks or teins.

Also, for the Stance coilovers, all i've been hearing are great things other than the clunking rear end, and the premature wear on parts. They were actually my primary choice coilovers months before..
Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

they do not include pillowball mounts, nor do they offer them - they reuse the stocker rubber upper mounts.

I've had both pillows and non in my own car (had Cusco with pillow and without and the HKS have them) - since camber is not adjustable at the pillow on this car in the first place, its by no means an essential must have thing IMHO, especially for a more street oriented car
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
Stiff, but not too bad. If most of your driving is on smooth roads, you will be fine with the Flex. If you drive a lot on bad roads, softer setups will work better.
Hmm, thats the thing. On the east coast mainly in the tri-state area we have some terrible roads. The best part about the flex's i feel anyway is the EDFC, especially since the majority of use any of these coilovers will see is street use.

Quick Reply: Coilover Recommendation (Recent Tein Flex Owners?)