Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

ABS system disengage??!!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Three5oZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS system disengage??!!!?!?

How do I disengage my ABS system. On the drift track is the last place I want my ABS system. I noticed on my practice even on Saturday, my car went into limp mode when the car continued to spin around a lot. I have never seen that happen before... any takers?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
How do I disengage my ABS system. On the drift track is the last place I want my ABS system. I noticed on my practice even on Saturday, my car went into limp mode when the car continued to spin around a lot. I have never seen that happen before... any takers?
Maybe taking out the ABS fuse or relay? I'm not 100% sure though. I'm not liable for anything! lol <~~just trying to cover my ***.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Taking out the fuse keeps the the system from pulling power to the engine. If you have your foot on the brake and press the gas, power is cut since you can't want to be braking and accelerating at the same time (unless you want to do a burnout ).

I'm not sure you can truly disable ABS.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
first350

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Taking out the fuse keeps the the system from pulling power to the engine. If you have your foot on the brake and press the gas, power is cut since you can't want to be braking and accelerating at the same time (unless you want to do a burnout ).

I'm not sure you can truly disable ABS.

Dave's talking about pulling the 15A fuse for the brake lights...lots of drag racers do this for a good burn out. (the fuse is in the box next to the driver's left foot)

ABS: some ppl actaully pull the electrical connector on the ABS unit - I've mostly heard ppl doing this for autoX due to the ABS system intruding too much.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Three5oZee

...oh I see. so i disconnect the 15Afuse and you explain that there is a power plug going to the ABS system? Im going to investigate this further and see if I can find a power source going to the ABS unit.

question.. if I do in fact pull that 15A fuse, will this only turn off the light in the display, or actually turn off the ABS unit?

Sounds really easy if thats the case....

Thanks to everyone who posted with advice!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM
first350

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
...oh I see. so i disconnect the 15Afuse and you explain that there is a power plug going to the ABS system? Im going to investigate this further and see if I can find a power source going to the ABS unit.

question.. if I do in fact pull that 15A fuse, will this only turn off the light in the display, or actually turn off the ABS unit?

Sounds really easy if thats the case....

Thanks to everyone who posted with advice!

sorry for the confusion...2 different things:

1) 15 amp fuse for the brake light; if you pull this one, it allows the brakes and throttle to be pressed w/out the ECU cutting engine power; this is used for either good burn outs or possibly left foot braking.

2) ABS; I've 'heard' from other autoX ppl that they pull the 1 connector off of the ABS unit (located in the engine bay) to disengage ABS; check the autoX section, there's lots of discussion on this,
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Z33_SPL

1. Pop the hood.
2. Open the fuse box by the battery.
3. Pull the red 15A fuse for VDC.
4. Wave to chicks as you do the drifty.

PS - You're instrument cluster will light up like a christmas tree.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Three5oZee

Ahhh, thanks for the advice!... pulling the fuse will work just fine if it will allow me to left-foot brake an maintane throttle.

my instrument panel already goes nuts with the turbo in... i have the check engine light... detachable steering wheel... air bag light, an now the brake light will be going nuts too... lol
Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 AM
twenzel

Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Three5oZee

cant get better than a diagram! thanks a lot!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM
BrickyardBomber

Thanks for the help guys, unplugging the harness temp. fixed my ABS problem however now the speedometer (digital and manual) dont work along with the Odometer? Any way to only have the ABS disconnected? Seems pretty easy too for someone to fake the milage on a used Z this way if all you have to do is unplug the harness and the Odometer no longer records milage... pretty scary.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 PM
bizcotch

Originally Posted by BrickyardBomber
Thanks for the help guys, unplugging the harness temp. fixed my ABS problem however now the speedometer (digital and manual) dont work along with the Odometer? Any way to only have the ABS disconnected? Seems pretty easy too for someone to fake the milage on a used Z this way if all you have to do is unplug the harness and the Odometer no longer records milage... pretty scary.
mmm... few more months of warranty
Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 PM
BrickyardBomber

Originally Posted by bizcotch
mmm... few more months of warranty
LOL ...the story of not only the Z but my xbox 360 too !!!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM
BrickyardBomber

So driving today now the SES light came on, harness is still unplugged I'm assuming its related? I am planning on getting the code read at AZ soon just thought I would ask here first...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hm.. pulling the grey connector to the ABS control box in the engine bay *shouldn't* disable the tach or speedo. at least in my 03 it didnt and i know of this working up to the 30th anniversary edition.

it will just trip the ABS/ SLIP/VDC/TSC lights and once you plug it back in and cycle the ignition, the lights should go off.

something else is up with your car if your tach/speedo shuts off. that means the Unified Amp controller is screwed up. (white box) behind the Air Condition control *****.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 PM
BrickyardBomber

Cool thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind for sure...I was thinking it could be related because with the abs harness disconnected the wheel speed sensors wouldn't be registering and reporting info to the speedo/odo? Anyhow got new rims and tires on tonight getting it aligned tomorrow and plan on re-attaching the harness to find out what still needs to be fixed...