Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Caliper paint that withstand brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Caliper paint that withstand brake fluid?

I have been thinking about painting my calipers but was wondering if caliper paint could handle brake fluid just in case I need to bleed my brake system in the future. Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
I have been thinking about painting my calipers but was wondering if caliper paint could handle brake fluid just in case I need to bleed my brake system in the future. Any thoughts?
Brake fluid is a nightmare. I bled my brakes Saturday. You really have to stay on top of that stuff. I actually use a clear tube and attach it to the valve so the fluid doesn't run down the caliper. Even though I was diligent about cleaning up the fluid, it still managed to remove some paint from the inboard side of one caliper...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
Brake fluid is a nightmare. I bled my brakes Saturday. You really have to stay on top of that stuff. I actually use a clear tube and attach it to the valve so the fluid doesn't run down the caliper. Even though I was diligent about cleaning up the fluid, it still managed to remove some paint from the inboard side of one caliper...
you don't mean on the stoptechs do you?! Thats scary, I would be even more scared if it was stoptechs rather than oe brembos
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 AM
redlude97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bleeding brakes shouldn't get fluid anywear on the calipers if you do it right. Use clear tubing on the end of the nipple and pump directly into a bottle. Just did my dad's car this weekend and didn't spill on drop on the driveway.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redlude97
Bleeding brakes shouldn't get fluid anywear on the calipers if you do it right. Use clear tubing on the end of the nipple and pump directly into a bottle. Just did my dad's car this weekend and didn't spill on drop on the driveway.
Doing the OEM brembos, i find that you will get a little on the caliper everytime. I use a clear tubing as well but can't seem to do it perfect.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Doing the OEM brembos, i find that you will get a little on the caliper everytime. I use a clear tubing as well but can't seem to do it perfect.
A plastic bag and painter's tape would be a quick solution then, even someone holding a rag around the tube would be sufficient
Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

4 valves(combined per set/aftermarket), the tube's gotta be switched from valve to valve during bleeding. If ya gotta secret to keeping the backwash left over in the tube from spewing back on the caliper when you pull it off I'm all ears. Sorry man, didn't mean to laugh.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

even someone holding a rag around the tube would be sufficient
I guess that could work, I'm just not that motivated to wedge a small rag around the valve everytime I open it. Not to mention, you'd have to keep changing the paper towel or rag out to a non-contaminated piece each pass. It's alot of work to keep up with, given the amount of cycles one has to go through when bleeding each set of calipers.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by vo7848
4 valves(combined per set/aftermarket), the tube's gotta be switched from valve to valve during bleeding. If ya gotta secret to keeping the backwash left over in the tube from spewing back on the caliper when you pull it off I'm all ears. Sorry man, didn't mean to laugh.
Are you pulling the end of the tube out of the waste bottle to drain the majority of the brake fluid in the tube? After that, then you just pinch the tube right above the nipple, then pull it off at an angle, wipe, and you are done. I've done plenty of calipers in my life, and its always resulted in little to no fluid leakage.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
VO...
Administrator

Are you pulling the end of the tube out of the waste bottle to drain the majority of the brake fluid in the tube? After that, then you just pinch the tube right above the nipple, then pull it off at an angle, wipe, and you are done. I've done plenty of calipers in my life, and its always resulted in little to no fluid leakage.
I do everything you've listed above, but always seem to have backwash leak on the caliper. Even when I pinch it at the valve.

On a different note. After I'm done bleeding and all valves are closed, there will be some break fluid left inside the tiny valve hole. I smother the valve with a rag and use my compressor to blow that little bit out. If not, it usually seeps out when you go to bed the brakes.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Sleepy79

try using a cotton swab in the nipple
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always pinched the rubber tubing at the bleeder nipple while pulling off the tube and I've never had problems with fluid leaking back onto the caliper. Just make sure your tubing is the softer material.