Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stoptech Rotor Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 AM
SteveA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stoptech Rotor Noise?

Scratching my head on this one!!

I recently installed a front 355mm/ST60 Stoptech kit.

Is it common to get creaking noises from the hats under heavy cornering loads?

I only get this with my 9.5 track rims and R-comps, not with the stock rims and tires. Sounds like a mettalic clack, clack under heavy cornering load. At first I thought it was some type of tire or rim rub, but after lots of investigation,taping and marking I can find no evidence of any rotational contact anywhere on the bodywork, suspension, rotors, calipers, rims or tires.

I am suspecting it has something to do with the torque load on the rotor hats only because during the course of investigation I have found that removing and refitting the wheel sometimes causes the noise to dissapear or reappear unexplainable. I am torquing the rims very evenly with a torque wrench but I notice they do creak sometimes when the nuts are being tightened.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the rotors are new, the sping washers on the mounting hardware will make a little bit of noise under load as the nubs flex. As you drive, the spring washers will loosen up a little bit and the noise will tend to go away. This is more to do with hub flex than anything else, so if youve done a lot of track or your car is a few years old, you may need to look at getting them serviced.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I never had problems with mine. Same set-up too....
Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StopTechErik
When the rotors are new, the sping washers on the mounting hardware will make a little bit of noise under load as the nubs flex. As you drive, the spring washers will loosen up a little bit and the noise will tend to go away. This is more to do with hub flex than anything else, so if youve done a lot of track or your car is a few years old, you may need to look at getting them serviced.
Yup, the spring washers on the Aerorotors will loosen up when the brakes are used aggressively like after a track session. Happened to me all the time. Its an easy fix, you just need to replace the spring washers on the rotors.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
SteveA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, Thanks for the replies. The information about spring washers and hub flex being involved makes sense.

Are the spring washers a particular spec? I only have access to limited hardware here. Also what is the correct torque for the hat bolts?