Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Just get OEM brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
playa6tnine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just get OEM brake pads?

I've done tons of research on which brake pads to get, and the more research i did the more confusing the choice is to make.

I'm looking for brake pads for my 03 Touring Z, but from various member's reviews, it seems each brand has negatives.

like some say that Hawk is good for low break dust, but they don't bite. or some pads bite good but have a nasty squeal. I feel as if there is no compromise on a good pad that has a little bit of everything, even if they cost a little more.

I might just break down and buy the OEM pads again. I'm lookin for a low dust pad, with no squeal and a good bite. Is OEM my best choice?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For some reason members consider any after market pad “better” than the OEM pad. Not true.

In fact put the same pads on two 350Zs, and have two drivers test them. One will give you a thumbs up. One will give you a thumbs down.

I like the OEM pads. The only thing that I don't like is the horrible dust. Once you go to “low dust” pad you will never go back.

Last edited by davidv; 03-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

i've used the endless vita nuova's for about a year. they have great initial bite, even when cold (they are street pads, duh), and they have very low dusting characteristics. the dust is a lighter color as well so it's not as noticeable. from what i have read, the project mu b force pads are very similar.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

I'm running Axxis Deluxe Plus Stoptech brake pads and they do not have as strong a bite as the stock breaks but I have rid myself of cleaning my rims every weekend. I feel that they are worth the trade off and they were cheaper than the OEM brake pads.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump, any updates? Im in the same boat.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Update on my Axxis Deluxe Plus Stoptech brakes. Been on the car for over a month and there is a small amount of visible brake dust on the wheels but they still look pretty clean. I am however experiencing some rubbing noice when the car is rolling and not while braking. It seems to only be comming from the rear left brake. I will have the shop that installed them take a look tommorrow while I get my oil change done.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Zmazing03

I have Hawk HPS.

As for brake dust, compared to OEM, these pads are a godsend. There is very little dust. Even if you drive hard, the comparable dust to OEM would be extremely improved.

A problem a lot of people don't like -- lack of initial bite. They don't really do much with just barely touching them. But once you get on them, it WILL stop. They also fade less than OEM pads IMO. I'd be willing to guarantee it would stop your Z faster than OEM, but I have no numbers to back it up -- but I believe it does.

Bottom line: If I had to buy brake pads again for my Z, Hawk HPS. Mine also have about 20k on them now, and are totally fine -- and even went through a few Mountain Runs.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I will probably not be going with a BBK anytime soon, I'm planning on getting drilled/slotted rotors and I'm just going with the stock pads, unless the original brakes last long enough to get a BBK.

Reason I'm going with stock pads.

I have never had any problems with the '06 OEM's as far as them making any noises and they stop the car. As far as the dust goes, I've never noticed it because I wash the car and wheels on a regular basis.

Might end up getting stainless lines as well. I'm hoping the drilled slotted rotors will dissapate the extra heat and reduce fade and also that they don't crack.

I'm still trying to jusify a BBK vs upgrading the stock brakes. Next year I'm planning on doing a couple of track days hopfully and more than that the next year and there after but don't now if for those few times a year is worth spending the money on BBK or not.