Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Should I resurface my rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM
gnr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I resurface my rotor?

Hi guys,
I've been doing lots of research on the web and here in order to prevent from asking the same question that's been asked before. However, I need some specific suggestions from you pros. (I basically know nothing about cars, still learning tho).
I drive a 2003 350z manual Touring (non-Brembo). The mileage is around 37k miles now.

1) At what mileage did you do your first rotor resurface, or "turning rotor"?
2) I'm currently planning to replace all pads with new ones, and still deciding which one I should go for. I don't race, so I don't really need high stopping power. I just need some pads that produce the least amount of dust and noise. I'm thinking about ATE Premium One pads. What are your guys thoughts?http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=P
3) When I brake (still with my old pads), I don't feel any vibration or whatnot. Hell, braking noise doesn't even come out most of the time. I know my pads are pretty worn out, so there's some noise sometimes. I looked at my rotors, and they looked fine to me. Although I can feel it's not completely smooth with my finger tip. Would you suggest me to get my rotor resurfaced or turned under these conditions and mileage?
4) I'm also flushing and refilling my brake fluid, what brand would you recommend?
5) I live in Calgary Canada, where the temperature is below 10 degree Celcious for almost half of the year. Any particular brake pads that wear out slower in winter?

Thanks a lot for answering guys.
Winston
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome.

The only way to tell rotor wear is to measure them.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't race and do stupid stuff with your car, just get factory replacement pads. No noise and no dust typically means no stop. I've used 2 ceramic pads and I'll never ever in a million years EVER use them again. If you are satisfied with the way the car stops now, don't change anything, just put the same pads back on.

I wouldn't resurface the rotors unless you felt pulsation in the pedal or jerkyness when braking. If it's smoothe, leave it alone. Unless of course, you are changing to a completely different type of pad then I would say resurface them. You won't always get the manufacturer recommended purformance when you mix and match pad material on a disk.

You can't go wrong with just about any of the high temp brake fluids really. ATE Superblue or Motul RBF600 will be more than you need. I'm using ATE Superblue in my factory non-Brembo's and with Hawk HP+ pads (lots of dust, great stopping power) I still haven't boiled the fluid. That's driving at Virginia International Raceway with going from 135mph to 50mph several times per lap. It's all in the pads for the most part. Choose the right pad for the job.

If you don't race, don't beat the hell out of the car, and don't drive like a jackass, just stick with factory pads and a decent fluid and you'll be fine. NAPA AE Metalic pads are a great factory replacement choice. Not too expensive either.

If you really want a lower-than-stock dust pad, I can't help you on that choice, I refuse to use them.

Last edited by Beau; 11-18-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gnr350z
1) At what mileage did you do your first rotor resurface, or "turning rotor"?
If you have enough rotor thickness and are just changing pads, no need to resurface your rotors. Also, since you aren't feeling any vibrations, you rotors should still be true. Just bed your brakes properly and you should be fine.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
gnr350z

Thanks a bunch for the help guys.
Both Nissan and this autocare shop I usually go to are "forcing" me to get my rotor resurfaced for no good reason. And the price difference between replacing just the pads and all brake job is around 500 CAD, which I can pay 3 months of my insurance. I just wanted to make sure before I get ripped off for nothing.
Would ATE blue brake fluid be any good to OEM pads?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
julian

just use regular valvoline or castrol brake fluid. you don't need high temp fluid.

just get OEM pads, leave the rotors alone, and do a flush. pretty easy to do in your driveway... if you don't do it in the winter! heh
Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
warmmilk

if you're gonna stay stock, i'd suggest stock brake fluid also. the stock brake fluid absorbs water alot slower than high performance brake fluid, so it needs to be changed less often
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
gnr350z

Thanks for the help guys.
One more question, any particular size (specs) that I should look into before I buy any pads for my non-Brembo Z? I don't want to order pads for Brembo from US then realize it won't fit on my car, you know.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
warmmilk

just say its for the Z without the brembo's. also, make sure to give them the year of your z, cause 03-05 (not sure about 05 anniversary) non brembo have smaller rotors than 06+. so the pad is different