Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Fr/Rr solid bushing installed... amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many hours to install the diff piece and the rear subframe? I'm just curious to see if its feasible to do it at home with a bushing install kit.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 hours?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
That subframe is Kwame's - his rear one was damaged in a small accident so we're swapping a clean one in there and did all the bushings at the same time
I'll be going through the process of swapping out the subframe next week as I have a couple of days free. I'll do my best to take pictures but I can't make any promises. It's not going to be easy to take pictures while doing this swap on jackstands while I stuff my 6'0, 255lb body under the car.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Motormouth
Banned

fatty :P you probably broke the old subframe, admit it.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Motormouth
fatty :P you probably broke the old subframe, admit it.
Lol
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM
ReaganDee

Subscribed ... And would love to know how long this madness takes ... if its not too horrible I might hit up a few local Z owners and see if they want to make a day of it replacing all our bushings
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
twitch579

So does the rear subframe have to be pulled to push in the new bushing? Just saw that mine ripped all around too.

This has got to be the cause of my car feeling squirly in the rear also. It just doesnt feel the same from new, and its just in the rear it feels like its all over the place.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Kwame

^ I replied in your thread.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon guys did I read the first couple of posts correct, you guys telling me that a solid/stiffer bushings aren't gonna increase NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)? Got something similar on a previous car and hated the additional NVH.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Zazz93
C'mon guys did I read the first couple of posts correct, you guys telling me that a solid/stiffer bushings aren't gonna increase NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)? Got something similar on a previous car and hated the additional NVH.
the differential bushings only gave me a slight increase in noise (a whirring sound, not audible with the stereo on) at sub-zero temperatures until the car warmed up. There is still much isolation in the drive train, and with the rubber subframe bushings that, yes, there is no ill effect on the NVH. As I said prior, for me, it reduced the NVH along with all the other benefits (better road feel, crisper shifting, more predictable traction, etc).

I never installed the whiteline subframe parts to comment there however.

Last edited by Motormouth; 02-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 PM
gregom

Thanks for the infos, this is on my to-do list. With 74K miles on my stock shocks and bushings, plenty of auto-x and some track days... my car feels kinda squishy. I'm hoping replacing all bushings and the shocks will tighten everything back up.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how would your rear feel squirrly?

yoru suspension hasnt changed, nor the mounting points of the subframe to the car.

The only thing that might be moving a few mm is your diff. Power of the mind is amazing.

Originally Posted by twitch579
So does the rear subframe have to be pulled to push in the new bushing? Just saw that mine ripped all around too.

This has got to be the cause of my car feeling squirly in the rear also. It just doesnt feel the same from new, and its just in the rear it feels like its all over the place.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
how would your rear feel squirrly?

yoru suspension hasnt changed, nor the mounting points of the subframe to the car.

The only thing that might be moving a few mm is your diff. Power of the mind is amazing.
The suspension mounting points is one thing (though deflections in the subframe bushings through the diff do affect that), but more importantly, since this is rear wheel drive, how the power is transferred to the tires would certainly have an effect on how the rear end feels. Deflection of the diff bushings and misalignment of the drive/half shafts will cause fluctuations in torque being applied to the tire, which could certainly cause erratic behavior under throttle. And in the more extreme case, it will create wheel hop.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM
idrive_MD

as far as installing the rear diff bushings go, I would think you coule get away with just removing the pumpkin and leaving the diff rack in place. Use a c-clamp or a specially put toegther bolt, washer, nut combo to pull the bushings into place. Getting the old ones out is hard no matter how you slice it. I would think the ol'set em on fire method may not be ideal for the aluminum diff racks though. I've even heard people frown upon it with the steel systems too.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Mamounas123

Originally Posted by bmccann101
Ive read alot of posts abot " Do I need to replace my bushings" but theres not much about what it really drives like afterwards, other than talk of wheel hop etc.

I have about 70-ish k miles on the car, just did stance coilovers lx, and all the other standard fix ups... but the car just seemed clunky, and the rear felt really unstable and had alot of wiggle. Just felt like it wasnt a real sports car yet.

I knew my rear bushing was out because if I change gears quickly and let the clutch out fast, I could hear a clunk in the rear end..and I saw it as well when I did my exhaust.

DUDE.... it is sooooooo nice having this mod done, I cant even tell you. Satisfaction of driving and ownership has increased like ten fold seriously.

Its not really louder per se, you can hear a bit of mechancal noise just when you start from a dead stop, but for the most part, its pretty darn NOT noticeable. Its far from a supercharger whine as they ssay... its 50 times quieter than that, so fear not, and theres really no added vibration.

BUT the handling is RAZOR sharp now, and it finally feels like it does to drive my friends 2007 996 Porsche 911.

HUUUGE shout out to Vitaly at Pitstop Performance and Coz at Concept Z Performance for the HUGE hook up on the labor, and to a job well done.

Bottom line, this fixes all the things you never knew were wrong with your hi mile 350z, period.

The shifter shakes a hell of alot less on downshifting too.

It is literally like driving a brand new car again. Super tight, quiet, no squeaks, rattles, clunks, and it is a bit "faster" by butt dyno since there is no nasty lag while the engine and drivetrain use the power to simply move the differential around before actually moving your tires.

If you spend a grand on coilovers but dont do this mod, you have wasted your money. Its fantastic. BTW, I used SPL from and rear bushings.

Do you have any pics of them installed. I think it will help the people who want to do this.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mamounas123
Do you have any pics of them installed. I think it will help the people who want to do this.
There is quite a bit of information in this thread, hope this helps!

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...wheel-hop.html
Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mamounas123
see our post, #13 of this thread as well - shows you exactly where everything goes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
gregom

http://www.jscspeed.com/350z/suspens...p_bushings.htm

Are these all the bushings in our car? I have about $300 I will be about to spend on this and am trying to determine how best to spend my money. My Z has 74K miles with stock suspension... it feels all squishy after all my track days and a couple unrelated crashes.

Also can most of these be pressed with a vice? Or will I have to take them to a shop to have them pressed?

Realistically how much do I need to spend here to get my ride quality nice and tight again?

Last edited by gregom; 02-11-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 AM
ReaganDee

Originally Posted by gregom
Realistically how much do I need to spend here to get my ride quality nice and tight again?

Sorry ... couldn't resist ... I will now allow someone to respond who knows what they are talking about

Quick Reply: Fr/Rr solid bushing installed... amazing!