Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Fr/Rr solid bushing installed... amazing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your description, makes perfect sense now... So all 3 bushings, which SPL makes the solid ones discussed in this thread are the ones you can see in my pics.

There are then 4 bushings for the subframe, or (rear crossmember another name for it?) that I cannot see, but are between it and the chassis?

I had an alignment done after both my wrecks, and several parts were replaced, front lower control arms (shock mounts), endlinks, swaybar bushings. So those bushings should be good. Only ones left are the front-rear control arm bushing, not sure what its called but its the curved arm which I think has its own balljoint, and the upper a-arm which would need new bushings. But all the rear bushings have never been replaced, so maybe I should go for a full rear set, including diff and subframe bushings, and just a few for the front. That, coupled with shocks (Tokico HP blues) and a alignment should make a big difference. $1,200 or so later right?... I could do a fair bit of these myself but i'm tempted to pay a shop to do it. Either way this is a lot more money than I was planning on spending but I do have it, just didn't want to put it all in suspension.

Now what about springs? Could they be weak after so many miles or do they not really go bad in this short of time?

Now when I said my car feels wobbly, that isn't under power, so would toe really affect it that much still? I would think bushings and shocks would affect this most when just driving normally in a straight line. But when cornering hard and applying power, all these components really come into play.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gregom
Ahh thanks guys, i'm learning here. So i'm guess i'd see the same black nasty crap leaking in other spots if other bushings had broke as well? The carrier bushings I can probably just leave alone? It is probably best I just replace them all while i'm there instead of just replacing the broken one, would you agree?
We are going to stop offering the rear bushing by itself soon -- it is not good to allow the front of the differential to "bounce around" on rubber bushings while keeping the rear of the diff fixed.

Originally Posted by blue350zed
Would this upgrade be something worthwhile on a low-mileage Z not experiencing any bushing issues yet? Would it be a noticable difference for the better, performance-wise?
The solid differential bushings significantly reduce wheel hop, which makes a very noticeable difference, particularly for those who drag race, drift or road race.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 AM
CORNELL

has there been any talk about a subframe collar set like available for the 240's?

such as these http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CORNELL
has there been any talk about a subframe collar set like available for the 240's?
We have something in development
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a neat idea, I guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CORNELL

such as these http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM
Ikeya formula has had these for our cars for several years now.
http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/car_type...-mls-al-e.html
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM
CORNELL

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Ikeya formula has had these for our cars for several years now.
http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/car_type...-mls-al-e.html
oh so you guys can get them? pm me a price shipped to 77064
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Motormouth
Banned

here is my poor attempt at illustrating all the mounting points and bushings that we have talked about. I don't think I messed anything up.

here is a link to the larger item.

Last edited by Motormouth; 02-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Crom

Pics like that are very helpful to alot of people...nice. - Also reduces the noob questions.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Russ

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
We are going to stop offering the rear bushing by itself soon -- it is not good to allow the front of the differential to "bounce around" on rubber bushings while keeping the rear of the diff fixed.
Kuah, could you comment on combining the SPL rear solid diff bushing with the Whiteline front diff bushing caps. I've seen it mentioned as an option and am curious what the negatives would be. I think the only benefit would be the expectation of less noise with the whiteline front caps.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Russ
Kuah, could you comment on combining the SPL rear solid diff bushing with the Whiteline front diff bushing caps. I've seen it mentioned as an option and am curious what the negatives would be. I think the only benefit would be the expectation of less noise with the whiteline front caps.
We are going to stop offering the solid rear diff bushing by itself... basically you don't really want the nose of the differential to "bounce around" while trying to keep the rear fixed, over an extended period of time that could fatigue the rear diff housing/stud.

I don't see having a soft bushing in front would change the level of noise being transmitted, there is still a metal to metal path for the noise from the diff to the subframe. While we do have to warn customers that there will be an increase in noise, it is really not that bad because the entire subframe and diff assembly is still isolated from the chassis through the 4 big subframe bushings. We've been offering this for several years now and I've never had a complaint about noise from our solid diff bushings; in fact a number of customers have come back to say that it wasn't really as noticeable as they thought it would be
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I think I commented in this thread on the increased NVH from the front diff bushings, namely that there is basically no increase.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Russ

Thanks guys

Yep, I think you have too Motormouth. I've seen posts saying NVH is not noticable and other posts saying NVH is terrible.

Kuah's comments about eventual fatigue with a soft front bushing and pointing out that once you put the rear one in, you've already got metal-to-metal contact tells me there's really no point to considering the caps.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The primary difference between the SPL front solids and the Whiteline "caps" is a labor difference, and cost of the item in the first place.

The SPL will give a more direct feel, being solid
The SPL requires you to press the old ones out

The Whitelines are less expensive, and much quicker/easier to install since no pressing is involved, however they will not be as direct as the SPL

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-16-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I don't think the front SPL bushings needed to be pressed in. but I could be wrong.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I don't think the front SPL bushings needed to be pressed in. but I could be wrong.
you're right, edited my post - I keep forgetting they are divided in halves
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
gregom

You rock Motormouth thanks for that pic! Actually your verbal description worked for me but the pic is great for those of us learning this stuff.

Almost think we should make a new thread and sticky it, this is overall good info to have at your fingertips.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Motormouth
Banned

See, I AM more than just a giant dick. lol.

thanks for the props greg, glad my info was useful.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
ReaganDee

I heard "giant dick" and came running ... oh ... wait ...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
CORNELL

i think a sticky on the weak points of our suspension would be great. also would be nice to see the steering rack addressed since even NISSAN upgraded it for the 370Z http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...uspension.aspx

Quick Reply: Fr/Rr solid bushing installed... amazing!