Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tough time deciding on suspension setup, input?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
z31maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tough time deciding on suspension setup, input?

Spent the last week or so reading up on everything available and reviews and such. I'm eventually looking to run 255/35/18 and 295/35/18 or close to it in tire sizes on 18x9 and 18x10, I like meaty tire setups. To give a bit more background info.

I've been considering Koni Yellows with either Progress/Eibach springs, the Hotchkis just aren't enough drop for me, I'm a bit skeptical of how I'd like progressive rate springs. I've read good things about the Tokico DSpecs, but I'm still weary of durability and ride quality issues. You never really know "who," ie relative experience past suspension setups was there current stock setup trashed etc, is giving the review on the site and what they are accustomed to.

My past two old school BMWs were both on Ground Control coilovers with custom valved Konis and camber plates, and both kicked my *** on OK roads. Not looking to turn the Z into the same mess.

So basically I'm looking to get a .9-1.2" drop, tighten up the handling just a bit without sacrificing too much comfort since this will still be my DD and only occasionally see an Auto-X or HPDE. So really stance/comfort are paramount as long as we don't make handling worse than stock. Swaybars will also be in the future, whether it is Hotchkis/Eibach/Progress.

I'm not opposed to coilovers, but in the $1000-1200 range, are any of the dampers available in closely priced coilovers going to provide the same quality/warranty/knowledge base that is available with Koni?

Sorry for the long post.....
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go check out my thread on basic coils, might help u out alittle, as i am seeking similar.

2nd - Tokico dSpecs are the shiz, dont be worried about that, top notch shock there. The blues are not so much.

3rd- First huge step towards better handling = swaybars, and they wont effect ride quality.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 04-14-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
bimmertech

d-spec shocks/springs are what you need.

ride quality is very comparable to stock--not some bs ground control hackery.

springs are linear, offer the drop you want.

imo a better setup than a set of coilovers in the price range you listed.

if you can up the price range a bit more then i really recommend some hks hipermax 3 sports. great ride, great control, very nice quality.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
plumpzz

Whats your price range? Sorry i misread.

I'd rock some bilstien HD shocks and some 8/7 kg/mm springs. I do not know what those shocks are valved for.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
z31maniac

Thanks for the input so far. I'm skeptical about the Tokico springs, but I have read some great reviews on the Dspecs here. But do they really hold a candle Koni's? Do they come with a lifetime Warranty like Koni's do?

I'm just a big fan of Koni's after the last two cars (poor street ride was down to me having super stiffly sprung track setup vs a street setup, my 2600lb E30 was running 600/750 lb/in springs Front/rear), because of the quality of the damper and customer service I received from GC and Koni NA.

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Whats your price range? Sorry i misread.

I'd rock some bilstien HD shocks and some 8/7 kg/mm springs. I do not know what those shocks are valved for.
Basing my upper price range off of Eibach's/H&Rs + Koni's so around $1100-1300 for springs/shocks. That's getting into the BCs/Stance entry level coilovers, but for me, a quality damper >>>>>>> ride height adjustability.

If the DSpecs are really THAT good, that's nice because the price difference between Koni's and DSpecs almost covers a set of Hotchkis sways.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

If you want to keep the handling with that size rear tire i suggest stepping up to a 275/35 front tire, not to mention it will also keep ABS/VDC/TCS working properly.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 AM
z31maniac

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If you want to keep the handling with that size rear tire i suggest stepping up to a 275/35 front tire, not to mention it will also keep ABS/VDC/TCS working properly.
Duly noted. I must have glanced at the wrong OD for the 255/35 when I was checking out the tire spec sheets.

GeauxLadyZ, checked out your thread, some good info there. Looks like we are both looking in the same price range.

I'm definitely intrigued by the Stance coilovers. Do all the Japanese brand coilovers use 2.25" or 2.5" OD springs? So you can easily change spring rates by calling up Eibach/Hypertech?

Does switching to TRUE rear coilovers sacrifice much/any rear tire room?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by z31maniac
Does switching to TRUE rear coilovers sacrifice much/any rear tire room?
NO, not that i have ever seen, the rear true coilover systems i have seen keep the lower section free from the coil to where even wide wheels/tires never contact it...maybe others can chime in, but i have yet to see it...

-J
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 AM
z31maniac

Well, the more I read about spring rates/drop/linear or progressive on just lowering springs, I'm starting to not see the point.

It seems that nearly all the springs are only marginally increased in spring rate, and some are even less than stock. Most rear springs seem to be softer than the 2004.5+ revised rate as well.

So I'm not really sure how you can remove .75-1.5" of suspension travel, without increasing the spring rate, and not expect to be riding on the bumpstops all the time. Which is the reason most lowered cars ride like crap.

My follow up question remains from earlier.

Do vendors/producers, allow you to choose different spring rates from the get go for Stance/HKS/JIC coilovers (these are the leaders of the mid-level coilovers, yes)? If not, are replacement springs easy to source and affordable like Eibach ERS and Hypertech are for domestic brand coilovers?

I'm not interested in any of the cheap Taiwainese knock-off stuff like KSport/Megan/NEX etc.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
z31maniac

After a bit more research, it seems that for what I want the Whiteline 350Z springs would be absolutely perfect.

.8-1"/1-1.2" drop f/r, front rate is increased approx 15% rear is up around 6%, and they are linear.

Problem, I can't seem to find anyone who has them listed for sale. Are the still available or NLA?