Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

finally ordering rotors(powerstop or r1) help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
bjjbadboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally ordering rotors(powerstop or r1) help

Hey guys have searched away even made a thread few weeks ago. all came down to these two powerstop and r1. pretty much look the same except r1 is diamond slot and powerstop is rounded. both make arguments why they do this question is which to go with. of coarse money an issue or would have went with a bbk for not its this quick fix.

power stop

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drill...Q5fAccessories

r1 concept

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
AJCaron12

I wouldn't trust any of that stuff, I don't care what name they slap on it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the R1 rotors on for over 4 years and still working great, need some more Hawk pads this summer. R1 rotors are made by Centric, this is the parent company of the "brand name *****" rotors from Stop Tech. You have heard of the brand name ***** rotors (Stop Tech), right??
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 PM
drivessidewayz

R1 drilled/slotted for two years now, great customer support.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM
WillyP28

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have R1 drilled/ slotted aswell for over a year now, no issues
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
bjjbadboy

thanks for the replies guys. guess its gonna be the R1's everything I have read was about these only found one guy with the brake motives and was looking to save 40 bucks if anyone chimes in about the brakemotive powerstop with in next hour or so may influence a change otherwise R1's will be ordered asap
thanks again for help with my decision.

ps. i didnt trust any of the ebay companies until so many members have used for well over 2 years dont see what the big deal is. all my old school mechanic friends say rotors a rotor..(but they are very old skool so to the boards I came)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Chris_B

Stillen has been doing brake upgrades for over 20 years, longer than some of the knock-off guys have been alive, much less in business. These are brakes, the second most important safety system on the vehicle (next to tires). Choose wisely.

Chris
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Stillen has been doing brake upgrades for over 20 years, longer than some of the knock-off guys have been alive, much less in business. These are brakes, the second most important safety system on the vehicle (next to tires). Choose wisely.

Chris
Stillen, like many eBay resellers that operate in the basement, purchases Chinese-made "knock offs" for resales. One example would be their engine damper for the 350Z.

And many of Stillen's products are less than spectacular in both reliability and quality. Much like their customer service.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by tyau
Stillen, like many eBay resellers that operate in the basement, purchases Chinese-made "knock offs" for resales. One example would be their engine damper for the 350Z.

And many of Stillen's products are less than spectacular in both reliability and quality. Much like their customer service.
I run the brake division at Stillen, with over 20 years of experience the racing and the aftermarket. Stillen is an engineering partner with AP Racing, whom arguably provide the most advanced braking equipment on the planet today (think: Bugatti Veyron, McLaren MP4-12C, Lotus, Koenigsegg, Gumpert, Pagani and on and on, as well as Formula 1, NASCAR, LeMans, DTM, BTCC, F3, etc.). Stillen is also the company that brought Brembo to North America back in 1990, long before anyone here knew the name and before any of their factories were opened in China.

I am not familiar with the source of the damper you are speaking of as I am not in that group, but your statement regarding customer service makes it clear you have never had the opportunity to work with me or my team.

Give us a call sometime if you need something related to brakes (the topic at hand here) and we'll be sure to offer you the best service you'll find anywhere.

Cheers,

Chris Bernal, P.E.
Brake Division Mgr. -- STILLEN
714.755.6688 x163
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
NedimV

just bought brakes from "brakelabs"
but it was weird when i sent my payment it said R1 concept?
so maybe its the same company?
well anyways ill post an update of how it goes. but if your doing
the rotors and need the pads as well contact brakelabs they
gave me a great deal on a set of front hawk brake pads....
and F+R rotors were only 150 (slotted...)
well see how it works out.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

touche and well said.

what's up with the stillen brake booster upgrade?

i run a unique bbk kit (full r35) and would like to install.

would also be happy to run some stillen stickers if you could hook a
brother up

any input would be great. i am running the oe mc for the record.
upgrading to the r35 unit is something i've not explored.

i get some feedback under extreme braking only (think 60mph-0mph)

would like to bulletproof my rig.

thanks in advance. pm me if more appropo.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 PM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not familiar with the source of the damper you are speaking of as I am not in that group, but your statement regarding customer service makes it clear you have never had the opportunity to work with me or my team.
Hi Chris,

I never knew Stillen has a dedicated brake division, let alone a dedicated customer service team for the brake division.

All I know is that when my Maxima Supercharger was having bearing issues, there was only one customer support number to call. I thought it was just me, but apparently alot of people had been given the run-around for replacement parts that are supposed to be covered under warranty.

And bashing other eBay sellers and baselessly accusing them of selling knock-offs just makes you and your company look very unprofessional.

You know, Chris, it's great that you and your team offers good customer service. But unfortunately that cannot be said of the company you work for.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
bjjbadboy

hey I have seen brake labs stuff before and they seemed like another good company..

I do not regular track my car and do not need a crazy set up thats why not just upgrading everything to a bbk.

It seems all these rotors come from china and are cut and drilled here

and understand the importance of brakes thats why I am on here asking but. is there a big difference from stillen to ebay rotors? many members here said had on for well ove 2 years and no cracking and warping

so guess my question is what really is the difference with any of these rotors and pads? only difference in ones i posted in diamond slot on r1 which they say is a wear indicator and removes dust compared to the other companys rounded which says gives more life soo...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by lgear080
touche and well said.

what's up with the stillen brake booster upgrade?

i run a unique bbk kit (full r35) and would like to install.

would also be happy to run some stillen stickers if you could hook a
brother up

any input would be great. i am running the oe mc for the record.
upgrading to the r35 unit is something i've not explored.

i get some feedback under extreme braking only (think 60mph-0mph)

would like to bulletproof my rig.

thanks in advance. pm me if more appropo.
No one on the R&D team is aware of a brake booster upgrade, but there is a master cylinder stiffener for the 350Z STB car. A version for the dual throttle body engine has not been started yet, but I did mention it needs to on the project list.

I'll check with Josh here on decals, or you could PM here directly (Josh@Stillen) with an address of where to send them.

I can't offer much help with your brake setup as we have not tried it here. You're off a bit on your own on that one!

Chris
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

No one on the R&D team is aware of a brake booster upgrade, but there is a master cylinder stiffener for the 350Z STB car. A version for the dual throttle body engine has not been started yet, but I did mention it needs to on the project list.

I'll check with Josh here on decals, or you could PM here directly (Josh@Stillen) with an address of where to send them.

I can't offer much help with your brake setup as we have not tried it here. You're off a bit on your own on that one!

Chris
Why would they design a master cylinder stiffener that you cannot run with coilovers? The adjustment **** on top of my BC's , and now my Motons will not let me use the brace. I figure that would be something R&D would have figure out within the first 10 minutes of development.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Why would they design a master cylinder stiffener that you cannot run with coilovers? The adjustment **** on top of my BC's , and now my Motons will not let me use the brace. I figure that would be something R&D would have figure out within the first 10 minutes of development.
100% fair question. Not all owners upgrade to coil-overs, but those that do still need to brace up that flexi-flyer firewall -- maybe even more so. I'll see what I can do here.

Chris
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Chris_B

Originally Posted by tyau
Hi Chris,

I never knew Stillen has a dedicated brake division, let alone a dedicated customer service team for the brake division.

All I know is that when my Maxima Supercharger was having bearing issues, there was only one customer support number to call. I thought it was just me, but apparently alot of people had been given the run-around for replacement parts that are supposed to be covered under warranty.

And bashing other eBay sellers and baselessly accusing them of selling knock-offs just makes you and your company look very unprofessional.

You know, Chris, it's great that you and your team offers good customer service. But unfortunately that cannot be said of the company you work for.

Thanks.
The Brake Division has been here for two decades now. We work with nearly every make and model, from the 1,200 lb. Lotus 2-Eleven up to 17,000 lb. fully armored Suburbans. There many of our customers that don't even realize we work closely with Nissan (and other carmakers). I won't make the ridiculous claim that we are perfect, but we work very hard to make sure we provide what our customers are asking for and expect -- if not more.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about bashing eBay sellers. I will state facts as I see them, but bashing is not required nor my style. I know several of the guys selling rotors on eBay personally. I also know where they get their blanks, how they machine them and who does their plating. All I will say is that they tend to cater to the part of the market more interested in price and looks than performance and longevity. They know it and I know it, so we are all fine with that. For a few rare applications, we use the same blanks -- IF they are high-quality -- as cheaper ones may not be available yet. For the most part, our reject rate on blanks is approaching obscene. I cannot begin to count how many times I hear, "But the other guys take these without complaint!" My response: Well, then, sell them to those guys -- but not us!

But to put those efforts in the same category as what is being done here would be in error. Keep in mind that if we don't like the quality of any particular rotor blank, we will contract a foundry to make one for us in our design. We will be doing more of this in the future as some suppliers are letting quality slip a bit. Our customers expect better, so that is what we will strive for. So please do not expect us to do so at rock-bottom, eBay prices. These are brakes, not some unnecessary aftermarket add-on, and better quality simply costs more.

Chris
Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Your brake knowledge is outstanding as I have read many of your posts on the other site. I wish you were the one in charge with FI and Tuning over at Stillen.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Zjul8r

The Brake Division has been here for two decades now. We work with nearly every make and model, from the 1,200 lb. Lotus 2-Eleven up to 17,000 lb. fully armored Suburbans. There many of our customers that don't even realize we work closely with Nissan (and other carmakers). I won't make the ridiculous claim that we are perfect, but we work very hard to make sure we provide what our customers are asking for and expect -- if not more.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about bashing eBay sellers. I will state facts as I see them, but bashing is not required nor my style. I know several of the guys selling rotors on eBay personally. I also know where they get their blanks, how they machine them and who does their plating. All I will say is that they tend to cater to the parti of the market more interested in price and looks than performance and longevity. They know it and I know it, so we are all fine with that. For a few rare applications, we use the same blanks -- IF they are high-quality -- as cheaper ones may not be available yet. For the most part, our reject rate on blanks is approaching obscene. I cannot begin to count how many times I hear, "But the other guys take these without complaint!" My response: Well, then, sell them to those guys -- but not us!

But to put those efforts in the same category as what is being done here would be in error. Keep in mind that if we don't like the quality of any particular rotor blank, we will contract a foundry to make one for us in our design. We will be doing more of this in the future as some suppliers are letting quality slip a bit. Our customers expect better, so that is what we will strive for. So please do not expect us to do so at rock-bottom, eBay prices. These are brakes, not some unnecessary aftermarket add-on, and better quality simply costs more.

Chris
Nicely said, just learned a lot about your co and the brake rotor market.