Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replaceing clutch fluid help???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 AM
Suffolk350z

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaceing clutch fluid help???

Have a 2004 roaster 40,000 on it. Clutch is working fine no fade good pedal no slipping. I did notice that the clutch fluid looks dirty and brown. I have been reading for days on clutch bleeding issues and no pedal after bleeding so I am very hesitant to change fluid because all is working well. But want to avoid issues.
Got a price from dealer to replace clutch fluid not bad but dont really trust the techs. I have had issues that they could not handle ended up doing on my own. There answer to me is its a ten year old car and its a specialty the older z.
I have already ordered the heat wrap for clutch line to play it safe.
Can I just siphon some fluid out of the master ( with out going below the level where the master is empty fill with fresh fluid ) drive for a week and do this several times till fluid is clear. Would that not avoid bleeding issues and all the other night mares I read about with these clutches?
Also the car is completely stock I am assuming stock clutch what brake fluid is best? I am assuming DOT 3 and can I mix? I dont know whats already in master. I dont race just driving and fun. I bought it 6 months ago and love it changed all the fluids in the whole car because of age and to know where I stand with it.Only one left is the clutch.
Any help would be nice.

Last edited by Suffolk350z; 06-23-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I have done several master/slave cylinders in our cars and usually that dirty fluid is a sign your master is taking a dump. From what I can tell those are not external contaminants, rather gunk that originated in the master cylinder. Thats my theory anyway.

Just sucking out the old fluid from the reservoir and putting fresh in will not do anything for you...you actually need to pump the fresh fluid through the lines and master/slave cylinders.

Just change the master/slave cyliders (like $120 or less for both), and bleed the lines. Its not as difficult as everyone makes out. Just need to have a pumping buddy with a strong left leg. Hell, even a peg leg will do in a pinch
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Suffolk350z

It is possible. There is no dirt in fluid or master the fluid is discolored thought that may be due to old fluid.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It won't hurt anything to do it. I have done that before and it will stay clean for awhile. I was actually going to make it part of an oil change because according to something else I read, the dust from the friction disc has a way of finding a path into the line. Sometimes mine stays clean for a long time and sometimes I'm surprised that it is dark brown again.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Suffolk350z

Originally Posted by bjr
It won't hurt anything to do it. I have done that before and it will stay clean for awhile. I was actually going to make it part of an oil change because according to something else I read, the dust from the friction disc has a way of finding a path into the line. Sometimes mine stays clean for a long time and sometimes I'm surprised that it is dark brown again.

That's what I figured.

Last edited by Suffolk350z; 06-23-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Suffolk350z

Well I did it replace the clutch fluid like I explained earlier several times and to be honest the color is pretty much the same so I think the reservoir for the master cylinder gives the fluid a darker appearance then it really is. Which is good because old fluid was fine. Now I know.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:54 PM
lbarge85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gunk originates from the clutch slave housing. The moisture in the brake fluid causes rust and the rust eventually wears out both slave and master
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It may take a whole week of changing every day to get it clean again. Right now mine is the same almost clear color as the master brake canister. And has been that way for a couple of months now. Do it every day until it is clean then maintain it when it gets cloudy or at an oil change. It will look clean when you pull old out and put new in but then after you drive it again it will get dirty. Just keep doing an exchange every day until it stays clean then do it a couple of more times. Once you clean it up the first couple of times it MAY stay cleaner longer depending on the state of your whole system.

It should have been just DOT3 brake fluid from the factory same as the brake reservoir. In the past I have used ATE fluid when I was autocrossing then later Castrol is also pretty good - but then my Pep Boys store went out of business. I've been satisfied with everyone's recommendation on the Valvoline in the blue can at Autozone. Says Valvoline Synthetic DOT3&4 right on the bottle. I've been satisfied with it for two years now and I can buy it anywhere any time I want. Mail order brake fluid is not worth it for a daily car.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,308 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Just bleed it just like brakes, very simple.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Suffolk350z

Originally Posted by bjr
It may take a whole week of changing every day to get it clean again. Right now mine is the same almost clear color as the master brake canister. And has been that way for a couple of months now. Do it every day until it is clean then maintain it when it gets cloudy or at an oil change. It will look clean when you pull old out and put new in but then after you drive it again it will get dirty. Just keep doing an exchange every day until it stays clean then do it a couple of more times. Once you clean it up the first couple of times it MAY stay cleaner longer depending on the state of your whole system.

It should have been just DOT3 brake fluid from the factory same as the brake reservoir. In the past I have used ATE fluid when I was autocrossing then later Castrol is also pretty good - but then my Pep Boys store went out of business. I've been satisfied with everyone's recommendation on the Valvoline in the blue can at Autozone. Says Valvoline Synthetic DOT3&4 right on the bottle. I've been satisfied with it for two years now and I can buy it anywhere any time I want. Mail order brake fluid is not worth it for a daily car.

Makes sense, I will do it a few more times I get what you are saying about the color getting better.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people have problems when they don't tighten the bleed valve good when pumping the clutch. be sure its all the way tight and not jus sort of tight. or else air will get in and cause problems. then u gotta do it all over again lol no fun