Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Stopping by the dealer today - reasonable offer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
nurseryboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopping by the dealer today - reasonable offer?

Well, I think the time has come! I'm going to stop by the local dealership today and see if they will take my offer. Here's the deal:

I'm looking to get a 06 SA/SS Touring MT and I'm thinking of offering $32,900 OTD for one.

I've been reading on these forums and doing some research, and think think this is a resonable offer. Invoice (from edmunds.com) is $30,011 here in central PA. Add $605 for the destination fee, $1,836.96 for tax, $300 or so for tag/title and it comes to $32,752.96. That leaves them with $147.04 after everything is said and done.

What do you guys think?

The other part to this is that the dealer doesn't actually have this car in stock. They would have to get it from another dealer. Is this still a reasonable offer if they have to bring it in?

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 AM
loulinjai

Im really not sure, try 800-1000 profit for the dealer, especially when they dont have the car in stock. I dont think they will do all the paperwork and dealer trade for 150 bux...i mean salesguy gotta get commission right?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 AM
zman1910

If they have to get the car from another dealer it will cost them transportation depending on how far it is. I would give them an offer of 33,4 OTD and call it a day. Try 32,9 and see what they say..it can't hurt....
Old 03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
nurseryboy

Thanks guys. Now I'm not sure exactly what to offer them

I'd rather not offer them $32,900, they not take it, and then offer them $33,400. That will show that I can be worked to get a better price.

I'm thinking I may just shoot for $33,400. Hopefully that's enough that they will take it. If they don't, I'll walk. There are a few other dealerships within a few hours of here. I'd rather get it close by if I can though.

I guess we'll see how it goes in a few hours!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:18 PM
trackmjt

make the offer and stick with it. I bought my mercedes that way. I got the car OTD for the retail price which made the cost just below invoice and they had to get the car from 2 hours away. I bought my Z the same way eventhough it was used. Go in there with a firm price. They will try and break you on that price and tell you they can't go lower. Then ask them if they want you to take your money somewhere else. It took me 15min to get the dealer to drop down 6k off the price of the Z and it was listed at kbb value, the price was not jacked up, it was fair. I went in firm and stuck with it and picked it up they next day. I have also bought 15 cars in 11 years so i've done this a few times.

Last edited by trackmjt; 03-28-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
nurseryboy

Yeah, that's what I want to do. I'm going to go there with a price, and if they bite, they have my business, if not, I'll find somewhere that want's it.

I guess my uncertanty is what to offer. I don't know if $32,900 is too low that not only this dealer, but all other dealers, will decline. Or if it's do-able. I want to as low as I can, but still be able to get one
Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
trackmjt

If you want a reasonable offer to give them i'd say 500 over invoice before taxes and the other stuff. Not sure off hand what that make the OTD price but it seems to be close to what you wanted to offer. If they don't take that then another dealer will. Also if you're not to sure on the ethics of the dealer you're going to just ask to speak with the sales manager in person and give him your offer since it's not up to the salesperson. Salespeople don't make as much if you get a lower price so they don't always relay your offer. I did the leg work on my parents G35 and I told them they are willing to pay 500 over invoice, they didn't like it at first but they came around quick and sold it for that.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:48 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by nurseryboy
Yeah, that's what I want to do. I'm going to go there with a price, and if they bite, they have my business, if not, I'll find somewhere that want's it.

I guess my uncertanty is what to offer. I don't know if $32,900 is too low that not only this dealer, but all other dealers, will decline. Or if it's do-able. I want to as low as I can, but still be able to get one
Offer 32,9...its not a bad price and they'd still be making $900 profit(assuming $800 dealer holdback)....If not then go up a couple hundred and stick to it. They'll call you back...don't worry
Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 PM
nurseryboy

Alright, I just got back. I offered $33,200 OTD. Like I said before, they don't have the car there, but they said they think they make it work. I expect that they'll give me a call with one "very close" to try to get me up a little, but I made it very clear that my offer is it. No more. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
trackmjt

good luck with it and if they come back with something higher just tell them you'll give them what you offered them before. Doesn't sound like they are going to do that though.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
nurseryboy

Alright, they just called me. They have found two that meet my requirements. One is a SS with the normal "basic" options (floormats, kickplates, cargo net, etc) and their offer is $33,579. The other one is a SA with frost interior and satellite radio, and is about $300 more than the SS.

I really don't have a preference towards one color or the other. If the frost interior was done just a little different, I'd definitely go with it, but I'm not a huge fan of the dash being "frost" as well. So, I think I'm going to work off of the SS.

Do you guys think an offer back of $33,350 would suffice? That's $229 less than their offer, and $150 more than mine. I don't want to push it too much, as they have to get the car there for me. This should get them about $650 over invoice. Good, bad deal?

I'm going to call them back this afternoon with my decision.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 03-30-2006, 07:58 AM
trackmjt

I would just stick with your offer, it's more than fair. If they try and pull some crap by saying something like "you're not going to buy it cause of a few hundred dollars?" just tell them, what, you're not going to sell the car because of a few hundred dollars? They'll come around.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 AM
rxtrom

Tell them to shove it!!

Go to the dealer that has your car and deal w/ them.

It is well worth the drive, I drove 60 miles for mine.

The deal still makes about 1k, even if the car is bought at invoice. Called dealer holdback. Soon the 06's will be leftovers so the dealers are trying to get rid of them. Also the 1k rebates are coming out soon. If not already out. Sometimes the rebate is between the dealer and Nissan, and the dealer will hide it.

By now the cars have been sitting on the lots for a while, and probably can go $500 UNDER invoice. If not, wait for a good deal don't rush it.
It also helps that you are doing this at the end of the month.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
nurseryboy

Well, I just got back from the dealership (I went there on lunch break) and settled the deal for what I wanted - $33,200 OTD. Unfortunately I missed your post rxtrom, but I am still happy with the price.

Now I just need to wait until they get it in. Wohoo!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah man hold firm on your offer. I just bought a 2006 Enthusiast 6MT with the standard goodies (kick plates, splash guards, cargo net, floor mats, trunk mat) for $28,300.00 which is about $344 below dealer invoice per Edmunds. Of course then I foolishly added a 7 year / 100k mile warranty for $1220, but I still got the car for under invoice. I am in southeast PA and I put down my deposit for the car in mid-February 2006. One factor in my sub-invoice price may have been that I bought it technically during winter, so your luck now that it is warmer out might be less....but maybe that doesn't play a part at all.

Also, the one I bought was not on their lot. They located it on a boat from Japan heading for a different dealership, and they diverted it to them. It did not affect my deal. And if they try to make you pay extra to do the dealer swap, try to find out who the other dealer is and go buy it directly from them. At least threaten to do that.

I say stick with your original $33.2k offer and tell them you will come in and sign for it today if they agree. Your offer is reasonable. Good luck!

-steve

Haha, I just missed your post. Congrats! By the way, where in Central PA are you? I just graduated in August '04 from PSU. I guess there is a Nissan dealer out on Rte. 26?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 AM
rxtrom

Originally Posted by nurseryboy
Well, I just got back from the dealership (I went there on lunch break) and settled the deal for what I wanted - $33,200 OTD. Unfortunately I missed your post rxtrom, but I am still happy with the price.

Now I just need to wait until they get it in. Wohoo!

Well congradulations!!!!

I am moving to PA soon, actually the collegville area.

Look forward to meeting you all in some of the future meets.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
nurseryboy

Thanks guys. These next few days are going to be quite long

Oh yeah, I'm in State College. sry110, you may recogize the dealership. It's Leitzinger Imports. They are on the west side of SC where Whitehall Rd meets 26. It's nice there is a dealership so close.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys at some meets!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 AM
trackmjt

sounds like you got it for what you wanted. For the next time you buy a car remember what you did for this one and not that you knew but the extended warrenties are always negotiable. Very much so in fact but it still sounds like you got a killer deal. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
nurseryboy

I finally got it! Read this thread.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
MyIS300

Default funny thing about invoice

The invoice price of the car is NOT what the deal actually pays for the car.

It's a general average that the price would be sold to dealers for usually based on how much the dealer can sell etc.

The deal gets a hold back/kick back for selling a car, thus when they say they give you invoice... it doesn't mean jack... they MAKE money about 1-2k even if they sell at INVOICE price..

offer 32k