Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Will i regret buying a base model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:34 PM
o2sys

Default Will i regret buying a base model?

Seems like the best deals are on the Base model for the obvious reasons.

Still the deals are very temping on the base models. But will i regret down the road for getting a base?

Im coming from a Subaru STI and never needed VDC or traction control since the AWD kept me straight. Will i miss that LSD on the 350z or even notice the fact that i dont have one???

I daily drive my car so just contemplating if i should just settle for a base model.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:36 PM
Coehsp350Z

in the winter time u might use that VDC and Traction. I love my VDC on my TOuring, it works flawlesly. you can always turn it off with the push of a button. Its honestly up to you dude. If you can manage driving a Base in the winter on slippery road conditions, buy one.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:41 PM
PikesTourZ

I would go for the enthusiast because it will be your daily drive.
Old 09-16-2008 | 07:44 PM
3FITTTY

Originally Posted by Coehsp350Z
in the winter time u might use that VDC and Traction. I love my VDC on my TOuring, it works flawlesly. you can always turn it off with the push of a button. Its honestly up to you dude. If you can manage driving a Base in the winter on slippery road conditions, buy one.
+1, i slide all over the place, done a 1080 in rain and one on ice before..
Old 09-16-2008 | 08:22 PM
Entaille

I would get at least the enthusiast trim for obvious reasons :/
Old 09-16-2008 | 09:18 PM
jeffie7

I bought a base and couldn't be happier, I also hate things like VDC so maybe I'm the wrong person to give you advice on the car.

Just keep in mind, the only down side to the base is it DOES NOT have an LSD. that's a must do mod if you plan on making any real power.
Old 09-16-2008 | 09:27 PM
mikez97

i dont regret it.
Old 09-16-2008 | 09:30 PM
soleil
NolaZcc
Premier Member

i love my base....but my next mod is the quaife...
Old 09-16-2008 | 09:50 PM
nick123

all these guys love their bases but Have to change things...Of course we all love our bases with lsd...Thats not a base..Your changing things...Its like saying i love my honda civic after i put a rsx engine....NO, base is ****...Get the track or go home....Seriously, u need lsd ..Just pay the extra or your gonna be like these guys and having to pay money for some wrench monkey to swap a lsd(aftermarket) and risk warrenty and headache and time
Old 09-16-2008 | 10:01 PM
soleil
NolaZcc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by nick123
all these guys love their bases but Have to change things...Of course we all love our bases with lsd...Thats not a base..Your changing things...Its like saying i love my honda civic after i put a rsx engine....NO, base is ****...Get the track or go home....Seriously, u need lsd ..Just pay the extra or your gonna be like these guys and having to pay money for some wrench monkey to swap a lsd(aftermarket) and risk warrenty and headache and time
then y is that so many ppl that r non base owners change out their stock lsd for an aftermarket one? this wrench monkey knows how to work on his own Z...so no need to pay another monkey to do my work

Last edited by soleil; 09-16-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2008 | 10:30 PM
350z2k3

you'll hate it, buy a Lexus.
Old 09-16-2008 | 10:36 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe
Premier Member

Started with a base cause I knew I would change out everything. First mod I would suggest is the lsd. Unless you love getting stuck going in and out of driveways. F-ing open diffs so embarrasing and funny
Old 09-16-2008 | 10:44 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe
Premier Member

Wow...do you really think before typing. 2003-2005 models between all the trims have little differences. HP rating is the same accross the board. Later models was minimal in HP differences.

Sure Track is nice but at 10K more than what I paid for my base Z. With that 10K i purchased a set of 19" Gramlights 57f pro, tein flex w/ edfc, cwest cf lip kit, eclipse avn 2454 (Nav, DVD, CD), hotchkis sways, and a complete pumpkin w/ a nismo lsd.

Geez all I'm missing is the VDC...which is not fun for drifting or some times on the track. Just my $0.02
Old 09-16-2008 | 10:46 PM
r_seng

All the traction control you need all four limbs.
Old 09-16-2008 | 11:09 PM
jeffie7

I'd rather start with a cheaper car then build from there then to pay more money for a car and remove stuff I don't need.

This is my base model.

In the end, I have everything I want, and saved about 10Gs in the process.

I bought it in 03, after base, most models were in the 35K+ range.

picture shot by http://www.dev-inspirestudios.com/Cars

Last edited by jeffie7; 09-16-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2008 | 12:00 AM
BADASSTT

IMO I would go with the next trim level up. If your going to buy a Z get it with the LSD, Traction Control,Steering wheel mounted controls,aluminum pedals,and Cruise Control. Having a base model is okay if your on a budget. But if your going to get a Z do it right the first time or dont do it at all thats my 2 cents.When I was shopping for my Z I really wanted the touring model but at the time I could only afford the base model. My wife convinced me to save a little more and got the color and trim level I wanted and I couldnt be more happy. I would have regreted getting the base. Also the resale value will be more then the base. I see a lot of used base models for sale so what does that tell you.

Last edited by BADASSTT; 09-17-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2008 | 12:55 AM
SHICHIROU

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
IMO I would go with the next trim level up. If your going to buy a Z get it with the LSD, Traction Control,Steering wheel mounted controls,aluminum pedals,and Cruise Control. Having a base model is okay if your on a budget. But if your going to get a Z do it right the first time or dont do it at all thats my 2 cents.When I was shopping for my Z I really wanted the touring model but at the time I could only afford the base model. My wife convinced me to save a little more and got the color and trim level I wanted and I couldnt be more happy. I would have regreted getting the base. Also the resale value will be more then the base. I see a lot of used base models for sale so what does that tell you.
It all depends on what you want to do to your car. Is it a DD or are you going for power or show? why waste money at the dealer for aluminum pedals and a steering wheel with controls if your going to track it or change it out for an after market one? If your not going to do any mods then maybe the higher trim is right for you so you wont regret it.
Old 09-17-2008 | 01:21 AM
hiwind

go test drive base and touring see which one suits you best, once you sit in the right car you'll know
Old 09-17-2008 | 01:31 AM
Ghost_shift

I love my base.
Old 09-17-2008 | 01:48 AM
hiwind

how does the carbon cloth feel? i like leather but not during hot summers lol

swamp *** anyone?

Quick Reply: Will i regret buying a base model?