Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

New to the 350Z buying scene

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Ryukei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 350Z buying scene

Hey there, guys.

I've been meaning to buy a 350z for a long time, and now that i'm starting to get the cash for it, i have a few questions that could use a few experienced opinions on, even though i know they are questions that have been beaten to death in this forum.

1- I understand that the 2003 is prone to manual tranny problems, such as gear grinding. I also understand that 2006 model is to be avoided like the plague. I'm guessing the 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008 models are the safest?

2- Removed

3- What is the maximum mileage on a used Z that you would still consider buying given normal maintenance?

4- Aside from the gear grinds and oil consumption issue in the 03 and 06, what other parts failing have you experienced over time?.

5- Your idea of the best color for the 350z. I rather like the grey, but what did everyone else get (stock or painted over)?

6- How much you paid for your Z at the time.

Thanks guys, and i really look forward to joining the Z family.

Well, at least till i have the dough to move up to a 370z

Last edited by Ryukei; 09-11-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome to the forum and maybe you can post a little more about what kind of cars you've owned and experience you have.

For your questions:

#1 and 2- I have an '03 track pre-order model and have had NO tranny problems. Knowing how to properly shift and rev-match helps a lot. The only issue with '06 models is the Revup version of the VQ, whuch has oil consumption issues. This only came with the six speed models.
#3 and 4- mileage isn't as critical as having records of regular maintenance and a good inspection. You should know what to look for or get a pro to examine it in detail.
#5- color is very subjective. I love my Redline Z and think it looks as great as the day I bought it.
#6- not that it matters, but I paid MSRP for my Z when it was first released (but not a penny more).
Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryukei
Hey there, guys.

I've been meaning to buy a 350z for a long time, and now that i'm starting to get the cash for it, i have a few questions that could use a few experienced opinions on, even though i know they are questions that have been beaten to death in this forum.

1- I understand that the 2003 is prone to manual tranny problems, such as gear grinding. I also understand that 2006 model is to be avoided like the plague. I'm guessing the 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008 models are safe?
what can you afford? the hr's aka 07-08 are more expensive
2- Related to the above question, if i were to get the auto tranny instead, i'm guessing i won't have to worry about which model year to buy?
don't get an auto
3- Regarding used cars, what mileage for a 350z (or any relevant car) should i aim to find a car under? I know below 100k is usually a good start, but i'm wondering if i should be concerned at all for cars with > 100k mi
the lower, usually the better
4- What are the parts of a used 350Z i should pay special attention to when checking it out or rather, if there's a particular part that is prone to failure/issues in used Zs.
try to get an un-modified one
5- Best color for the 350z. I rather like the grey, but what did everyone else get?
what do you like?
6- How much you paid for your Z at the time.
23k for my 08 3 years ago with 35k miles on it
Thanks guys, and i really look forward to joining the Z family.

Well, at least till i have the dough to move up to a 370z
if been beaten to death, why ask... my answers in red.. and this is your one and only spoon feeding from me........
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Ryukei

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome to the forum and maybe you can post a little more about what kind of cars you've owned and experience you have.

For your questions:

#1 and 2- I have an '03 track pre-order model and have had NO tranny problems. Knowing how to properly shift and rev-match helps a lot. The only issue with '06 models is the Revup version of the VQ, whuch has oil consumption issues. This only came with the six speed models.
#3 and 4- mileage isn't as critical as having records of regular maintenance and a good inspection. You should know what to look for or get a pro to examine it in detail.
#5- color is very subjective. I love my Redline Z and think it looks as great as the day I bought it.
#6- not that it matters, but I paid MSRP for my Z when it was first released (but not a penny more).
Lucky on you with the 03. And yes, i know about those issues. Just wondering if that means the other years are just safer.

And yeah, i know someone here with a Redline too and it still looks just as good as the day it was released.

Originally Posted by travlee
if been beaten to death, why ask... my answers in red.. and this is your one and only spoon feeding from me........
Can't tell if you're being serious or trolling because the only answer i found useful was yours for #6 lol, at least from a "spoonfeeding" POV. But at any rate, I've edited my original post, so perhaps you'll understand what i'm asking. Think of it as being a survey, which i'd use to add to my consideration process.

Last edited by Ryukei; 09-11-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Can't tell if you're being serious or trolling "spoonfeeding" because the only answer i found useful was yours for #6 lol. But at any rate, I've edited my original post, so perhaps you'll understand what i'm asking. Think of it as being a survey, which i'd use to add to my consideration process.
wasnt trolling at all... but you asked alot of question on things that are personal choice, ie color. get the newest car you can afford with the lowest miles you can find. 07-08 had slave cylinder problems, some 06 burn oil, rear diff bushings tend to blow out, shocks over time will be worn out... just like any car really
Old 09-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Ryukei

I like the color grey, personally. Would have been nice if it came in that 370z grey stock. Just wondering what others like, painted over or not. Also if anyone got matte colors.

Newest car isn't the issue, so long as that particular year model is generally more reliable

So that narrows it to 04 and 05 then.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

04.5, 07, and 08.

there's your list of years to look at.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

I like the color grey, personally. Would have been nice if it came in that 370z grey stock. Just wondering what others like, painted over or not. Also if anyone got matte colors.
You may as well use the factory color names in referring to your future Z33. If you prefer the dark metallic silver, it's Silverstone (named after the famed British race circuit), not grey.