Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zanio, or Carnuba wax? Or both?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 05:55 AM
DrAxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zanio, or Carnuba wax? Or both?

Ok, I dont know much about Zanio, but everyone seems to feel that it is the best way to keep the car shiny. What about good old carnuba waxes? If you use wax first, can you use Zanio later?

Does it matter what order you use them in?

thanks
Old 11-24-2002, 06:51 AM
Them Bones

Default One or the other, not both!

You should have the car clean down to the paint before applying either. Also, you can't alternate. You'll have to pick one.

A lot of people are happy with their Zaino, but I haven't seen one case where it has provided a better appearance than a good carnuba wax. Some may say that it protects better, but I doubt that anyone who buys Zaino will limit the treatments to once every year or two. Someone that concerned with their car's appearance will be fussing over it all the time (like me). I love black cars and take great pride in keeping them looking like new. I've always used Meguiar's professional line of detailing products and have been completely satisfied. Because of the huge difference in cost and the fact that Meguiar's works well for me, I doubt I would switch to Zaino.

Carnuba might not last as long, but it protects well (I've never had a problem with bird droppings or other "fallout" leaving marks on the paint). Keep your car clean and wax every 2-3 months and it will look like new for a long time.

-TB
Old 11-24-2002, 07:06 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Zaino has much more durability than traditional waxes in my experience. Once you get a good solid base of Zaino, you can periodically apply new top coats, with maybe an annual take-it-all-down-to-the-paint-level-and-start-again treatments.

Without touchups on my black car, Zaino easily stays shiny and beads water for 3 months + (garaged car). I switched from Meguiars Gold Class, and it was lucky to last half that long.

Putting a top coat of Zaino takes probably less than an hour to apply and buff off (including drying without the ZFX stuff). I've not used anything any easier to apply and remove than Zaino. It really just wipes off, which to me is a huge advantage over carnuba products (or Meguiars Gold Class). Carnuba stuff always requires significantly more work to remove completely for me.

Blackfire is another polymer that gets very good reviews, but I haven't used it. Might want to check it out, too.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Kevin Overall

"Zaino has much more durability than traditional waxes in my experience. Once you get a good solid base of Zaino, you can periodically apply new top coats, with maybe an annual take-it-all-down-to-the-paint-level-and-start-again treatments."

Actually, you never start again or have to strip the finish after the first application of Zaino, all Zaino polishes are compatiable with each other and will build layers and coats as time goes by. One coat of Zaino will last 4 to 6 months, as a little polish coats wear away they are replaced my more applied by the user. The Z-1 is applied once per 6 months for a daily driver car and once per 12 months for a garage queen or show car, same time rules apply for the min. application of the ZFX activated polish as you would not be using the Z-1 base coat system if you have the ZFX.

I have a black car I first applied Zaino to in about 1998 and have not stripped the paint since and I still own and drive the car with Zaino on the finish.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:20 AM
ExoticZ

Just to let you in on a detailer's secret:

1. Wash the car with water and Dawn (to strip old wax build up)
2. Use a Clay Bar to remove industrial fallout off your paint
3. Apply 1-2 coats of Zaino or Blackfire
4. Apply 1-2 coats of carnauba wax to finish the job.

Zaino or Blackfire is used for awesome polished effect and duration. The carnauba wax is added to provide depth only carnauba can supply.

1 and 2 probably aren't needed for a brand new car. But it's good to know down the line.

Lot of work but well worth it. Especially if you're in competition.

Last edited by ExoticZ; 11-24-2002 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by ExoticZ
Just to let you in on a detailer's secret:

1. Wash the car with water and Dawn (to strip old wax build up)
2. Use a Clay Bar to remove industrial fallout off your paint
3. Apply 1-2 coats of Zaino or Blackfire
4. Apply 1-2 coats of carnauba wax to finish the job.

Zaino or Blackfire is used for awesome polished effect and duration. The carnauba wax is added to provide depth only carnauba can supply.

1 and 2 probably aren't needed for a brand new car. But it's good to know down the line.

Lot of work but well worth it. Especially if you're in competition.
Some do this, but I do not recommend it, it totally defeats the purpose behind Sal creating a polish that is 99.9% optically perfect (wax is not optically perfect) and a polish that is free of oils that regular waxes rely on to form a shine.

Also, doing this will mean stripping the carnauba in order to apply more Zaino as Zaino will only stick to itself or bare paint, not waxes.

Also, if you apply a cleaner carnauba wax (most carnauba waxes are cleaner waxes) on top of Zaino or Blackfire, the cleaner will wax will strip off the Zaino or Blackfire DURING the application process of the carnauba wax.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Brad4rdHay

Alot of the Zaino guys refuse to usa a wax topper, as Sal has basically brainwashed them into thinking its a bad idea. I have done it before and like the results. Just remember, once you apply the wax, you cant go back o Zainoing until you strip it off. BUT this works out perfectly. Apply a good 2-3 coats of Zaino, then wax. Keep applying the wax whenever you want more pop. Then, 6 months later, clean the paint (clay/ABC wash) and start over again. You should always deep clean the paint about every 6 months, so its a natural process.

You dont have to use both, the wax is just a little something extra. If you want to save time and money, then hell, stick with the Zaino as it looks pretty good on its own. But feel free to experement.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:04 PM
CLS

I just ordered my Zaino, so hopefully I will have some good results to share with evryone. My friend uses it and his car looks awesome.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Kevin V

If you are using Zaino , would would you want to use a carnauba on top of it??? Zaino is easier to apply and remove and shines just as good and protects and last better than anything else.